U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,368,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

People are getting crazy by watching TV.

So much this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 PM

10,633 posts, read 11,235,834 times
Social contagion from social media, too.

Last track I saw has it headed farther west to Knoxville, Tennessee.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The city of Charlotte has water. Just fill some pitchers and bottles and jugs around the house. It's not a big deal. In the very unlikely scenario of the whole Charlotte water system going down you really won't care if it's not Fiji water or Dasani or something. No need for anyone to BUY bottled water. Just scrub out your tub and fill it on Sunday night if you're really worried! I just don't understand the water thing. You can fill every glass and cup you have in your house with good old Charlotte tap water. Might not be your fave, but you won't die from drinking it. If you have a Brita or a filter on your fridge you can use that.

Now it's a good idea to buy some food that you don't have to refrigerate in case the power goes out and you lose that. Stock up on some peanut butter and forget about the steaks.

But water? People are crazy.
bottled water is made with God's tears

Old 09-08-2017, 10:22 AM

2,144 posts, read 2,613,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Charlotte water system never went down during Hugo. No need for bottled water unless you just like to drink it.

People are getting crazy by watching TV.
I'm on a well. Need water. Bottles it is.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM

520 posts, read 299,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
unless you get a generator...

Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 AM

7,181 posts, read 11,203,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
OR unless nothing happens!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM

10,633 posts, read 11,235,834 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have water right now. What you need is bottles, pots, pans, cups, glasses, coffee mugs, thermoses, bath tub, ziplock bags — pretty much anything that can hold water and you'll be set. Plastic bottled water is a waste of your money, waste of resources, bad for the environment, and mostly just filtered tap water somebody else (Coke, Pepsi, Nestle) put in a plastic bottle. That's all Aquafina/Pepsi and Dasani/Coke are and they've admitted it.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,613,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
I could spend a few hundred bucks on a generator and gas, true. Or I could spend $10 for some bottled water that I'm going to drink regardless. Tough call but I'm going the cheap route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Sounds like you have water right now. What you need is bottles, pots, pans, cups, glasses, coffee mugs, thermoses, bath tub, ziplock bags pretty much anything that can hold water and you'll be set. Plastic bottled water is a waste of your money, waste of resources, bad for the environment, and mostly just filtered tap water somebody else (Coke, Pepsi, Nestle) put in a plastic bottle. That's all Aquafina/Pepsi and Dasani/Coke are and they've admitted it.
Good point, I went ahead and poured out the three cases of water I had and now my living room is packed full of cups of water on every surface along with all my pots and pans being filled with water, much better idea. Family thinks I'm completely nuts but I assured them this was the best advice on City Data.

Sorry, if you have no power or running water I can assure you the last thing you are worried about is whether that plastic bottle of water is increasing the size of your carbon footprint. Again, if you are out of running water, that bottled tap water tastes pretty damn fine and I'll gladly pay $10 for enough to last a few days.

Guess what, I also own enough (bought a time ago) freeze dried meals to last several days just in case. I'm sure you will tell me I should just use one of the pots or pans to go club a rabbit and make a meal out of it instead of eating that freeze dried meal but I'm just not up for it.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM

520 posts, read 299,293 times
Quote:
I could spend a few hundred bucks on a generator and gas, true. Or I could spend $10 for some bottled water that I'm going to drink regardless. Tough call but I'm going the cheap route.

Good point, I went ahead and poured out the three cases of water I had and now my living room is packed full of cups of water on every surface along with all my pots and pans being filled with water, much better idea. Family thinks I'm completely nuts but I assured them this was the best advice on City Data.

Sorry, if you have no power or running water I can assure you the last thing you are worried about is whether that plastic bottle of water is increasing the size of your carbon footprint. Again, if you are out of running water, that bottled tap water tastes pretty damn fine and I'll gladly pay $10 for enough to last a few days.

Guess what, I also own enough (bought a time ago) freeze dried meals to last several days just in case. I'm sure you will tell me I should just use one of the pots or pans to go club a rabbit and make a meal out of it instead of eating that freeze dried meal but I'm just not up for it.
the back up generator for well pump only (so a small one to be used as needed), will also mean you don't need to store water for toilets, bath, etc.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 PM

44,430 posts, read 17,746,809 times
I still can't figure out the logic of buying cases of bottled water for an event such as this.

The Publix here in Huntersville was cleaned out. Yet the store had everything else for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte