U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 01:42 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I still can't figure out the logic of buying cases of bottled water for an event such as this.

The Publix here in Huntersville was cleaned out. Yet the store had everything else for sale.
My RiteAid was hit for water, candles, & batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 AM

2,998 posts, read 4,698,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My RiteAid was hit for water, candles, & batteries.
Why it's not gonna hit you like Florida

Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,030,394 times
Save all of the stacks of canned-goods you bought and might never use for the next food-drive; they'd probably welcome something other than the canned pumpkin I usually see in those bins.

My parents live in Port Charlotte, Fla. and decided to stay down there with other relatives despite my strongest urging to leave; even they seemed to be less prepared that some people I've seen loading their carts up here.
I hope they, their neighbors and the State will be OK, but I'm also a realist and this is a horrific storm.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Why it's not gonna hit you like Florida
You want me to answer for the actions of others? Well, a lot of these people remember Hugo, which wasn't supposed to hit this area, either.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:40 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Quote:
You want me to answer for the actions of others? Well, a lot of these people remember Hugo, which wasn't supposed to hit this area, either.
Exactly. We've got a WHOLE lot of people that weren't around for Hugo or haven't actually been through anything like a tropical system impacting this area. It doesn't take 180mph winds here locally to do a LOT of damage. If we did get a consistent 40mph wind, plus rain, with the trees we have with some age it will be lights out for many potentially.

The fact we have people upset that others are prepared is funny to me. It's typically people like that which are in need of help when events do happen.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Exactly. We've got a WHOLE lot of people that weren't around for Hugo or haven't actually been through anything like a tropical system impacting this area. It doesn't take 180mph winds here locally to do a LOT of damage. If we did get a consistent 40mph wind, plus rain, with the trees we have with some age it will be lights out for many potentially.

The fact we have people upset that others are prepared is funny to me. It's typically people like that which are in need of help when events do happen.
I've been through enough hurricanes (category 2) that I'm really happy to be this far from the coast. I've watched a neighbor's Bradford pear get broken up into matchsticks. I bailed water for 6 hours when a piece of Floyd broke off & went sightseeing up the Delaware River & decided to come visiting my town & the sump pump in the French well outside of the basement decided to fail. I like hurricanes about as much as blizzards.

Anybody who makes fun of people preparing for bad weather needs to hope that Karma doesn't teach them why people prepare.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:32 PM

2,740 posts, read 1,766,161 times
Quote:
I've been through enough hurricanes (category 2) that I'm really happy to be this far from the coast. I've watched a neighbor's Bradford pear get broken up into matchsticks. I bailed water for 6 hours when a piece of Floyd broke off & went sightseeing up the Delaware River & decided to come visiting my town & the sump pump in the French well outside of the basement decided to fail. I like hurricanes about as much as blizzards.

Anybody who makes fun of people preparing for bad weather needs to hope that Karma doesn't teach them why people prepare.
Wherever people are there's the potential for disasters. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. Wildfires, etc. From reading these posts it doesn't seem like people are upset that others get prepared. Rather it's the panic buying at the last minute that's the problem.

People should be prepared for disasters long before they happen. The reality is that most aren't and go into panic mode when the disaster or potential disasters appear.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Wherever people are there's the potential for disasters. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. Wildfires, etc. From reading these posts it doesn't seem like people are upset that others get prepared. Rather it's the panic buying at the last minute that's the problem.

People should be prepared for disasters long before they happen. The reality is that most aren't and go into panic mode when the disaster or potential disasters appear.
I normally have batteries, candles, & non perishable food & drinks. I just passed a comment on what the clerk told me when I went into RiteAid. I don't care what others buy or when they buy it. There's been some snark in this thread.

I did buy some extra candles because I have a neighbor with a dead tree that could take out my electricity. This isn't normally candle season for me, so it made sense to pick up some extras, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte