U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:20 PM

391 posts, read 241,767 times

Advertisements

I believe that if Alabama is to push a city, it should be Huntsville. It is a highly educated city with some of the top scientist and technical geniuses in the country if that would be a plus. But, the area is in an ideal location and has lots of pluses. I don't think that Birmingham would be a bad choice, but I seriously don't think it has a chance. Western liberals won't want to go to Alabama due to their stereotyping, etc. I believe that a negative effect from HB2 is a myth. I think that Charlotte has an advantage of practically all of the cities that in the top ten, i.e. transportation opportunities, room, education facilities and work force, and a favorable cost of living, but the biggest plus is our geographical location. This is just my opinion and means nothing. I can only hope that those in charge think the same way. But, to be honest, I believe that Charlotte should focus on other possibilities. Such a large addition brings lots of negatives. I think that Charlotte's (or any other place) sports aren't a big factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,968,876 times
Quote:
I believe that if Alabama is to push a city, it should be Huntsville
I don't get it. Amazon included general requirements in the RFP. Some of it is ambiguous, but some aren't like being a metro of a million+

Birmingham is the only metro in AL to meet that basic requirement. However, it doesn't mean that the city meets the other requirements... or be close enough to be considered etc.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 PM

4,554 posts, read 4,366,612 times
I think Amazon will select a bigger metro area like Boston or suburban DC in Virginia. NC likely wont pony up enough money for incentives.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:11 PM

391 posts, read 241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't get it. Amazon included general requirements in the RFP. Some of it is ambiguous, but some aren't like being a metro of a million+

Birmingham is the only metro in AL to meet that basic requirement. However, it doesn't mean that the city meets the other requirements... or be close enough to be considered etc.
Neither Austin nor Charlotte have the 1 million population that was earlier mentioned as a requirement. Birmingham falls well below that figure. If Alabama were looking for the ideal spot, Huntsville would be better in my opinion due to it's location, talent pool, cost of living, and general advantages. I don't think it will be a consideration. Just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:39 PM

1,455 posts, read 999,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Neither Austin nor Charlotte have the 1 million population that was earlier mentioned as a requirement. Birmingham falls well below that figure. If Alabama were looking for the ideal spot, Huntsville would be better in my opinion due to it's location, talent pool, cost of living, and general advantages. I don't think it will be a consideration. Just my opinion.
Charlotte and Austin are both well over 1 million in the metro. They will measure population by metropolitan statistical area, not city limits. Otherwise Jacksonville, FL looks more populous than Boston, San Francisco, or Atlanta - hence the metro measurement will be used.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:40 PM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
The population requirement is a metro of at least 1 million people. Please explain why you don't think that Charlotte qualifies on that requirement.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,275,667 times
Quote:
Neither Austin nor Charlotte have the 1 million population that was earlier mentioned as a requirement.
You're the first one on here that I read, who thought the 1 million minimum population meant city and not metro area?

If that were the case, Bezos would have just let New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and San Jose bid, since they are the only cities, currently in the US with at least 1 million people.

He meant metro area with at least 1 million people!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You're the first one on here that I read, who thought the 1 million minimum population meant city and not metro area?

If that were the case, Bezos would have just let New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and San Jose bid, since they are the only cities, currently in the US with at least 1 million people.

He meant metro area with at least 1 million people!
Everything that I saw on this spelled out metro. Good grief the state of Delaware applied for the chunk of the state in the Philadelphia metro.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,019 posts, read 947,592 times
[quote=GoPhils;49761145]I don't think Amazon cares if they're "edgy"...just qualified
The edginess comment is from The New York Times article 09/09/17 and we truly don't have a lot to offer younger, educated people as far as culture here. In another 10 years...maybe, but as gender phobic and homophobic as NC/SC are still are, in general, I do NOT see Amazon or any others coming our way for long.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,019 posts, read 947,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It's got good information, but Charlotteisprime.com looks like it was made by a high school senior.
Maybe the Mayor could sing Amazon the new City Song she wasted time on....THAT might get them....NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or