U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 PM

297 posts, read 1,043,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy View Post
We looked at Hunter Oaks. It seems very big. Which area did you buy in? I liked that area a lot. Are there certain streets more desirable than others? We also almost bought at the Chimneys. The association and the fact that people kept calling it an affluent neighborhood was a total turnoff for me. We're coming from Orange County California. We have enough affluent attitudes in this county to make anyone hate that word.

Emy, I read the thread and it appears you may have seen the area but I am not sure from the posts. Have you actually visited this area or are you buying without seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 PM

240 posts, read 927,056 times
I live on Royal Colony Drive. My house is a few houses over from the clubhouse/pool area, if you've ever been to The Reserve.

To get to the Southpark area, you'd have a choice of various local roads, so your husband would be able to avoid the 485/77 highway traffic. We go to the mall at Southpark once in a while, and it's about a 25 minute drive with light traffic. I'm guessing that it would be closer to 35-40 minutes during rush hour, but still better than commuting into uptown.

Southpark isn't really close to any of the major highways, so I don't think that any suburb is especially "ideal" for commuting there. Hunter Oaks would probably save your husband about 5-7 minutes in commuting time to Southpark over The Reserve... not a huge idfference, but for some, every minute counts :-)

You might want to factor in the potential for job changes too. The Reserve/Hunter Oaks area is very convenient to Ballantyne jobs, not bad for jobs by the old Coliseum, so-so for uptown Charlotte jobs, and pretty bad for University Area jobs. Most of the major employers are in uptown or the University area, which is part of what makes locations like Huntersville, Concord, and Harrisburg attractive... nice areas, and close to major employment centers. Huntersville is home to one of the two nuclear power plants in the area, which can turn some people off...

Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Emy

113 posts, read 360,435 times
Default Reserve, Brandon Oaks,Lawson,Hunter Oaks

We have been to the area three seperate times. 2 times with four children and the third with one. Not the ideal house hunting. We built a house in Brandon Oaks and then my husband decided it was too much money. It was in the estates section. We have looked at the Reserves all three times and really liked it. I may have even looked at the Royal Colony listing. We decided the Chimneys was too "affluent "of a neighborhood. People kept telling us how affluent it was. Coming from Orange County California that is the last thing we want. We are looking for a great family neighborhood with nice people and a big enough house that we don't have to hear every little argument our four kids have. 10,000 sq feet would be great! Just kidding. We're coming from 900 sq feet so I'm not going to be too hard to please.. We would like a wooded lot and not to have a house behind our backyard. Any feedback would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:36 PM

The Reserve has a mix of lots. They're pretty large lots for the area in general. Some back to other houses, some back to the entrance roads (Crane and New Town), and some back to woods (my section of Royal Colony all back to woods, and some of the other roads back to woods as well). The people that we've met here are very nice. It's a pretty quiet community with lots of families with kids. It doesn't feel "stuffy" at all, especially since we're the cheapos when compared to the estates being built all around us :-)

Hunter Oaks is very nice, and is in a slightly more convenient spot for commuting. You'd be within a 10 minute or less drive to large shoping areas on Rea Rd (Blakeney, StoneCrest), Ballantyne, and Providence Rd (Promenade at Providence). The lots there seem to be a decent size. Not quite as large as most of the lots in The Reserve, but not right on top of each other either. I'd say that the lots are larger than many of the new construction communities in the Charlotte area. We have a friend who lives there and really likes it. I haven't really heard any bad comments about it! I think you'd be happy there as well.

Cureton seems pretty nice. There's a new shopping center going up in the "town center." They have a few builders at various price points. There's a water treatment plant behind the shopping center, so you could get some odors when the weather gets warm and the breeze is blowing the right (or is that wrong) way :-) It's also about 10 minutes further into Waxhaw from The Reserve, which puts you 10 minutes further away from the major amployment areas. For me, it's a little too far out.

Lawson is a very nice community. We'd seriously consider it if it was closer to the city. As it is, it's a couple of minutes east of Cureton, so again, not the most convenient community for commuting to major employment areas. If that's not a major concern, I'd check Lawson out. There are a lot of trees in the community, so you should be able to find something that doesn't back up to another house. Also, there are numerous builders at numerous price points, so there's something for everybody. I think the lower priced builders have somewhat small lots. I think that Orleans and St. Lawrence build there in the middle to high end of the price range. Both of those builders have good reps, especially St. Lawrence, and both have some very nice floorplans that could work well for a family that needs space.

I've been through Brandon Oaks a couple of times, and personally, I wasn't crazy about it. Lots seemed a little smaller, and I don't like the Indian Trail area as much as the Waxhaw/Weddington area. You're a little further out from some of the newer shopping in the area (Matthews is probably the closest area to Indian Trail. Matthwes is a nice, older established town, but the majority of shopping out there is older than what you'll find in the Ballantyne/Rea Rd areas). The schools are rated well in Indian Trail, but not quite up there with the Weddington area schools that you'd have access to at Hunter Oaks or The Reserve.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Emy

Default Reserves, HUnter Oaks,Lawson,Brandon Oaks

Thanks for all of your feedback. It has been very helpful. My husband is really leaning towards the Reserve so we may be neighbors until you sell your house. Do you know any good pizza places and barbeque restaurants? The one think California does have is good food. We have a fabulous pizza place run by an Italian family. I;m hoping to find something just as good there. Any other restaurants you like?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Emy

Default Providence Grove,The Oaks on Providence,Millbridge

Hi,
Does anyone have any information on any of these housing communities? I received some great information on the Reserve and Lawson earlier but would like to find out about these areas also. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 AM

536 posts, read 1,540,195 times
Hi Emy,

I too live in "The Reserve", love it too! Really friendly area, everyone usually waves! Alot of people are getting pools, so the community pool will probably be less crowded this year. If you want to be my neighboor there is a house for sale on my street, and it backs the woods. (I have seen deer about 6 times!)

Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 AM

If you live on Royal Colony, Keith, that might be my house for sale... we're near the clubhouse and back to woods

Emy, as far as restaurants go, you won't have a problem. I can easily think of 4 good pizza places within a 15 minute drive of here (Tony's in Ballantyne, Anzi in Stonecrest, La Strada in Wesley Chapel, Palone's on Ardrey Kell/Tom Short... just outside of Ballantyne). My favorite pizza/italian restaurant in Charlotte is Portofino's. They have 2 locations about 25 minutes from here if you don't mind making a drive. One is in the Steele Creek area, and one is not far from Southpark. Everything I've tried there has been fantastic, including the pizza. I'm not a big barbecue fan, so I can't help you out as much there. But there are numerous barbecue places around, and it is barbecue country, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a good place!

As far as the other communities go, I'm not sure where the two "Providence" communities are. Millbridge, I believe, is just getting started and will be huge when completed. From the directions, it sounds like it's just down the road from Cureton. So you'd still be pretty deep into Waxhaw, which puts you a little further away from the main shopping and employment areas (although Cureton is building a nice, big shopping center). It also might not be far from the water treatment plant at Cureton, so you could potentially get some odors from there as well. My final concern would be potential congestion in that area. It seems that LAwson, Cureton, and Millbridge are all going to be very large communities within a 5 minute drive of each other. Not sure what that will do to the local roads in that area. Providence Road is already highly traveled, so this could make it worse. I believe that they're building a new road connecting that area to rt 521 (main artery through Ballantyne area) called Cureton Parkway, so that could help alleviate some of the potential traffic problems. Not sure when that road will be completed though.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 AM

536 posts, read 1,540,195 times
Default Pizza

Hey "Steve",

I live on King George, there is one for sale with Wilkersons & Assoc. ( I don't work for them), it may be an exclusive.

Have you ever tried Palones over in "The Fountains" on Audrey Kell? That is good Pizzzzzaaaa! Like NY style where I am from!

Good luck on your move, I hate the commute too!

You know what I hate about the roads around here, it is the Gov't and how they talk about the expansion of them being finished in 2013??? HELLO, I think it's time to hire some of those Illegals aliens and just get the road done in a year or two!!

Sorry if that offends anyone, just making a slight joke!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:04 AM

Gotcha! It is a really nice community, but the commute can definitely grow tired quickly if you work uptown or in the university area.

I've been to Palone's a few times. It's really good! That was one of the 4 places I mentioned to Emy in a previous post. I'm originally from Brooklyn, and Plaone's feels like a blast from the past for me. If you want to try another awesome pizza place, even better than Palone's in my opinion, take a drive up Rea Rd a few minutes past Stonecrest to Brooklyn Pizza Parlor. It's in a shopping center right at the intersection of Rea Rd and Colony (about a minute or two past the intersection of Rea and Pineville-Matthews). Awesome!!!

My wife and I are heading out to Porter's Landing today to check it out. It's a little south of Harrisburg (unincorporated land in Cabarrus County). Feels more country out there, but it's only 10 minutes from Harrisburg and Mint Hill for shopping, and it's within 30 minutes of uptown, the university area, and Ballantyne for work, so all of the major work locations are within a reasonable drive. They do contingent sales over there, so we might go that route if the community is a good fit.

The 485 expansion is a cruel joke :-) I see all of that grass in the middle of the two sides of the higway and always think "if they had only had the foresight to add another lane in each direction." Instead, the road narrows from 3 to 2 lanes shortly after 77 merges in and right before you get to the mall exit. Brilliant :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte