U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM

197 posts, read 666,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynn View Post
and the air is great over here, we have had no problems with any odor from the plant.
I think as long as you go into your purchase knowing that the plant is there and that it will smell at times you are good. People just need to be aware so they can make an educated decision - and most buyers in Quellin did not know the plant was there when they bought/built becuase that whole area where Cureton is now was woods/fields. It was inaccessible even as recent as last year. And the builders knew about the plant and said nothing. There were no roads or anything in there for regular people to be able to see the plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,715 times
We have lived in Cureton for 2 months and have not smelled anything from the plant! We where here almost everyday during construction and still did not smell a thing. I walk everyday rain or shine and ther air is great! That salesman does not know what he is talking about, and should probably think about a career change if that is his sales pitch! Cureton is great, I cannot wait for the shopping and dinning to open! No more driving to go eat and shop. The neighbors we have met are great, and most importantly we love our home! We bought an MI Home and love the floor plan, which includes a large bonus room. MI did a great job.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 PM

7,927 posts, read 17,731,765 times
WE looked at Cureton LOVE it however everytime we went there I said to my Realtor we got out of the car and It smelled....Only for a few seconds though the 1st time I smelled something and mind u I was the only one who smelled anything, was by the MI trailer then I smelled it in the parking lot of Standard Pacific as that was one of the homes we were going to buy...now I could be crazy I do live in NJ...LOL....pollution well...lol anyway maybe it was me, and WM funny we went to quellin quiet a few times and never smelled anything...Well who knows the air quality here sucks too....

Staci

Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,682,987 times
Smile Cureton

Cureton is one of the most popular new developments in our area. An agent in my office just bought there and she loves it. Both MI and Standard Pacific have a good reputation as builders.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 AM

If you all live in Cureton and love it, I think that's great. I have nothing to gain or lose by you living there or not living there - I already live in the area and I'm not an agent or anything - just a person and mom that has lived in the Waxhaw area for years now and watched the development here and been to many town meetings over this very subject etc. You can go back and look at the mintues of the town meetings if you have any doubts. I'm just trying to make sure people know what they are buying. Also, you have not been there for a summer yet. But if you are happy, more power to you. I think the houses in there are really cute.

Its just important for people to know all of the facts. That's all.

And it seems most of the locals on these boards are realtors - not a neutral source. I'm just a concerned mom.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Also, an important thing to realize is that the intermitent smell and sewer plant are not a disclosure issue to new construction or the builders or sales representatives of the builders- they are not required by law to disclose this to you - that's why no one in Quellin was told about it-it is a disclosure issue once the house is a resale. This is important to know to be an informed buyer.

I strongly urge you to look at previous minutes from Waxhaw town meetings if you doubt the validity of this concern. Also call the EPA yourselves and ask them about it. People moving here from out of state do not know the history of this town and county and the struggles that residents have had with this plant dating back 20 years. Waxhaw is a wonderful, wonderful town but this has been an ongoing issure here long before the the town became so popular - and the plant is only growing in size because it is the only one around to service this part of Union County and all of the new development which is all very new within about the last 3 years.

Last edited by wmspeep; 02-02-2007 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 AM

so in cureton you can smell it too??? because like ive said I know I smelled something awful when we were there and it was warm those 2 days actually 70 degrees well I have to agree with your statements about disclosure and not knowing because when your buying the biggest investment of ones life the consumer must be aware....Im a realtor here in NJ and when my clients want to go to a certain area, I do my homework on it especailly if I know something I need proof otherwise its not factual and realtors can get sued very easily, like one area all the homes are built on Dumps, and superficials and 1 development where KHOV has been sued constantly...well anyway If it smells that bad then I do not want to live there and if the plant is getting bigger well I would assume that one would eventually smell it if they dont now...Thanks for the info...

staci

Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 AM

40 posts, read 189,550 times
We're just beginning our search in NC, so I have been googling everything and following several threads. I still love Lawson from what I have seen on the web, and it looks like NC is great overall. Love the full brick options and the planned community idea - not crazy about no basements. I prefer a larger, private lot. Live in the city now and looking for a bit more space, but not too much .3 acres sounds good to me. etc.. So, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Seems like I found it in this thread with the sewage issue. Are there any things like that going on around the Lawson development? Also, is it too far out? - I don't mind driving to a shopping area - but what is the commute time to Charlotte - N Tryon - from there?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM

75 posts, read 296,435 times
We measured last time we were there- Lawson is just about 1 mile from Cureton, perhaps a bit more. It's a beautiful development. Lots of luck to you.

wmspeep- Just out of curiousity, which development do you live in?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM

I have to tell you I got a PM from someone who lives in Cureton and says it does smell a little and he was hoping that it isnt like that in the Summer....And thanks to some posters and my dh looking into it we axed it out....

thanks to all!!!! Re-locating is very overwhelming so do your homework as best as you can and dont believe everything u hear unless you are willing to research it yourself.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte