Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Charleston?
Charlotte 5 71.43%
Charleston 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 5,333 times

Advertisements

I cannot decide for the life of me which city I want to move to!

Some background info:
I am originally from Durham, NC. Attended undergrad at University of South Carolina. Obviously familiar with both cities. I moved back home after graduation and now I'm looking to move out of the Triangle since I've lived here my entire life until college. Looking for a new experience in a cool city. I have pros and cons about each city and none seem to really outweigh the other- hence why I cannot make a decision!!

Charleston:
Pros: Beaches, plenty to do, weather, driving distance to USC for football
Cons: Not a lot of sports action, seems to feel very small at times, lots of college kids, further from home, party city, "beach town", touristy, vacation town, people never grow up or leave

Charlotte:
Pros: Sports, things to do, bigger city feel, driving distance to USC for football, closer to home, better job market(I think)
Cons: No beaches, a lot of people I know (kind of looking for a new experience), turning into a "smaller Atlanta", expensive, crowded

My main concerns about Charleston are that it's a vacation town party city- and I feel like I need to start my adult life and kind of grow out of college. My concerns about Charlotte is that there are too many people there that I know and it wouldn't really be anything particularly "new". I like how you could say Charlotte is more of a "seasonal" town- aka stuff to do year round.. whereas Charleston seems to only attract me during the warmer months of the year, although I still think it would be awesome to live there.

I currently work in special events but I hate it and I'm looking for a career change, perhaps something in marketing, or really anything honestly- not sure what I want to do with my life. I know Charleston would have a great job market in the events field but I'm really trying to steer away from that.

Wondering if anyone has any unbiased (or biased ) opinions to add of either city that would make me reconsider one over the other???

Any input would be AWESOME!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I will say that some of your perceptions about Charleston are a bit skewed since you're looking at it through the lens of a recent college grad. I wouldn't describe Charleston as a "party city" at all; as a matter of fact, its nightlife is a bit subdued compared to the historic, touristy Southern cities it is often grouped with, namely Savannah and New Orleans. Also not sure what you mean when you say the people in Charleston "never grow up."

I think as a college grad beginning your career, your perception of Charleston will begin evolving if you choose to move there.

And I'm confused when you say Charlotte is a "seasonal" town because there's stuff to do year round. That's the exact opposite of a seasonal place LOL.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
What kind of work are you doing?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 AM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Every college grad should start their career in NYC for the experience of living there and then move down here (or anywhere else) to raise a family.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
I lived in Charleston for years. I think your take on it is a bit skewed as well. It's a great place to live and work. Winter is mild and the beach is beautiful when it's empty in January. However, people are moving there in droves, and finding a job can be tough.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
I love Charleston.

Why only those two cities?

Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I will say that some of your perceptions about Charleston are a bit skewed since you're looking at it through the lens of a recent college grad. I wouldn't describe Charleston as a "party city" at all; as a matter of fact, its nightlife is a bit subdued compared to the historic, touristy Southern cities it is often grouped with, namely Savannah and New Orleans. Also not sure what you mean when you say the people in Charleston "never grow up."

I think as a college grad beginning your career, your perception of Charleston will begin evolving if you choose to move there.

And I'm confused when you say Charlotte is a "seasonal" town because there's stuff to do year round. That's the exact opposite of a seasonal place LOL.
Lol I guess "seasonal" was the wrong wording! I meant it in the opposite way, that there are things to do year round, whereas in Charleston it seems to have more things to do in the summer. I probably do have a very skewed perception of Charleston. After talking to a few of my friends that moved there for a year or so after graduation and then moved away that was kind of the general consensus - about partying and people there who seem to be stuck in a college mindset (that's where I got the never grow up comment).

Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I love Charleston.

Why only those two cities?
I'd like to stay in the southeast area somewhat close to home. I'm not too fond of Atlanta, and everywhere else in the Georgia/SC/NC area seems to be too small of a city. I don't mind Raleigh, but like I said, I grew up around here and just looking for something new!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
What kind of work are you doing?
I'm looking to get into something creative with marketing/PR/etc. but all my experience is in hospitality and meetings/events.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagamecock4 View Post
I'd like to stay in the southeast area somewhat close to home. I'm not too fond of Atlanta, and everywhere else in the Georgia/SC/NC area seems to be too small of a city. I don't mind Raleigh, but like I said, I grew up around here and just looking for something new!
What about Tennessee? Nashville is booming.

It just seems to me that you aren't too thrilled with either Charlotte or Charleston. If ever there is a time in your life to spread your wings, this is it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte