Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 PM

125 posts, read 499,853 times

Advertisements

I'm set to move to Charlotte in 3 weeks, but I do not have a job lined up. I'll be looking for a position as a Business or Functional Analyst and I'll be open-minded if something related comes along. I've been expecting to make about $50k/yr after looking at salary data on the internet, but after reading the forum I'm rather paranoid that I won't be able to find a position. Financially, I can survive for a year without a job, but I'm afraid that if I get to that point I'll be so discouraged that I may want to move elsewhere.

For those of you that had/have been searching can you share with me:
-What type of position you were seeking
-How long it actually took you to get the job

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
My husband was a stocker broker on Wall Street for 22 years. We came down here w/o a job, but we really had no choice b/c employers in the area weren't willing to interview anyone w/o a Charlotte address. It took him approx. five months to land a job. He disliked the job enough to quit. Then it took another four months to land the job he has now.

We do have enough of a nest egg to live off of, if this happens again, but who wants to deplete their savings???

I meet people in Charlotte all the time, complaining that they either haven't found a job, hate the one they have or don't make enough $$$ to pay the bills. Competition is fierce.
It really is rough finding a job right now. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Why in the world are you moving here without a job?!

I wish you good luck, but please use some common sense.
This is not the Emerald City.

Last edited by mullman; 03-15-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLemur View Post
I'm set to move to Charlotte in 3 weeks, but I do not have a job lined up. I'll be looking for a position as a Business or Functional Analyst and I'll be open-minded if something related comes along. I've been expecting to make about $50k/yr after looking at salary data on the internet, but after reading the forum I'm rather paranoid that I won't be able to find a position. Financially, I can survive for a year without a job, but I'm afraid that if I get to that point I'll be so discouraged that I may want to move elsewhere.

Thanks!

Thread after thread after thread after thread of people screaming that it's taking them four, five, six or more months to find a job. Post after post with people complaining that they're down here for months and not getting so much as an interview, yet other people still insist on coming down without a job. I don't get it. Is it people thinking that they're so qualified that nobody will turn them down, or is it like HIV and you just think to yourself, "It won't happen to me"...

Let's just use your numbers and assume that it takes you a year to find work (I think I've only seen one or two around here approaching a year so that might be a stretch). That is a LOT of money to burn that you will never get back. That's a gamble and one you should think a little longer and harder about. If you're working now then there's literally no reason why you should just up and leave without anything lined up. The worst that can happen is you still have money in your bank account and a check every week (or two weeks depending). And if you're having a hard time affording where you are, then it's the difference of bleeding a bit of cash and hemorrhaging it.

Honestly, really, good luck with what you might be about to do, but consider yourself well warned with everything you've read.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Thread after thread after thread after thread of people screaming that it's taking them four, five, six or more months to find a job. Post after post with people complaining that they're down here for months and not getting so much as an interview, yet other people still insist on coming down without a job. I don't get it. Is
+1000, it is Charlotte, NC, not the promised land of milk and honey.
Although the weather is awesome regardless of the job market, I have been on two wheels for almost a week (motorcycles or scooters).
Can't complain about 70mpg!

Last edited by mullman; 03-15-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 PM

247 posts, read 997,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLemur View Post

Thanks!
My husband is a teacher and had no problem finding a job. Me, on the otherhand, have encountered difficulty. I am looking for a part-time graphic design job since August and no luck so far. And I have about 14 years experience!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Why in the world are you moving here without a job?!

I wish you good luck, but please use some common sense.
This is not the Emerald City.

Well, because there's virtually no way to secure employment while living 500 miles away, and because employment is secondary to me - I am working to start a real estate investment company there.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Thread after thread after thread after thread of people screaming that it's taking them four, five, six or more months to find a job. Post after post with people complaining that they're down here for months and not getting so much as an interview, yet other people still insist on coming down without a job. I don't get it. Is it people thinking that they're so qualified that nobody will turn them down, or is it like HIV and you just think to yourself, "It won't happen to me"...

Let's just use your numbers and assume that it takes you a year to find work (I think I've only seen one or two around here approaching a year so that might be a stretch). That is a LOT of money to burn that you will never get back. That's a gamble and one you should think a little longer and harder about. If you're working now then there's literally no reason why you should just up and leave without anything lined up. The worst that can happen is you still have money in your bank account and a check every week (or two weeks depending). And if you're having a hard time affording where you are, then it's the difference of bleeding a bit of cash and hemorrhaging it.

Honestly, really, good luck with what you might be about to do, but consider yourself well warned with everything you've read.
It will cost me about $6000 for 6 months of unemployed living, it's not the end of the world, but if you guys really think it is that hard, then I may reconsider my approach.

The problem is that I've seen many posts complaining about the market, but few that really help me gauge the severity.

I appreciate the posts of those who shared how long it took them.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

Check this out, it makes Charlotte appear better then some make it out to be. Do you feel it is accurate? Perhaps it's taking many months to find jobs in ANY metropolitan area.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Can anyone else share how long it took them to find work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte