Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
Taxes are cheaper in Cabarrus county rather than Mecklenburg.
That depends on which municipality you live in within Cabarrus County. If you live in Kannapolis the rate is a combined $1.33 per $100 (County + City) versus a combined $1.29 per $100 in Charlotte (County + City).

Concord at a combined $1.18 per $100 tax rate is higher than combined (County + City) for Cornelius ($1.07), Davidson ($1.16), Huntersville ($1.12), Matthews ($1.15), and Mint Hill ($1.08), but less than Charlotte ($1.29) and Pineville ($1.19).

If you don't live within a city limit and are in unincorporated territory, Cabarrus is lower ($0.70) vs. Mecklenburg ($0.81). Cabarrus municipalities tend to have higher tax rates than Mecklenburg municipalities as Mecklenburg funds more amenities than Cabarrus.

For a home assessed at $300,000 the tax difference would be $330 annually between Charlotte and Concord. One must also take into account commute distance vs. property tax. An extra 5 miles of round trip commuting per day would add $873 to the gas bill for a person going from 15 to 20 miles of round trip commuting, working 22 days per month on average, and getting 30 miles per gallon at $2.35 per gallon. So if somebody added 5 miles roundtrip to save $330 on property tax, but add $873 in gas expense, they would actually be down a net -$543 in savings.

https://www.cabarruscounty.us/govern.../Tax-Rate.aspx

https://www.mecknc.gov/TaxCollection...20Brochure.pdf

Last edited by CLT4; 09-29-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 08:46 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
That depends on which municipality you live in within Cabarrus County. If you live in Kannapolis the rate is a combined $1.33 per $100 (County + City) versus a combined $1.29 per $100 in Charlotte (County + City).

Concord at a combined $1.18 per $100 tax rate is higher than combined (County + City) for Cornelius ($1.07), Davidson ($1.16), Huntersville ($1.12), Matthews ($1.15), and Mint Hill ($1.08), but less than Charlotte ($1.29) and Pineville ($1.19).

If you don't live within a city limit and are in unincorporated territory, Cabarrus is lower ($0.70) vs. Mecklenburg ($0.81). Cabarrus municipalities tend to have higher tax rates than Mecklenburg municipalities as Mecklenburg funds more amenities than Cabarrus.

For a home assessed at $300,000 the tax difference would be $330 annually between Charlotte and Concord. One must also take into account commute distance vs. property tax. An extra 5 miles of round trip commuting per day would add $873 to the gas bill for a person going from 15 to 20 miles of round trip commuting, working 22 days per month on average, and getting 30 miles per gallon at $2.35 per gallon. So if somebody added 5 miles roundtrip to save $330 on property tax, but add $873 in gas expense, they would actually be down a net -$543 in savings.

https://www.cabarruscounty.us/govern.../Tax-Rate.aspx

https://www.mecknc.gov/TaxCollection...20Brochure.pdf
Don't let the facts get in the way.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 AM

64 posts, read 77,686 times
All very informative thank you. Something to consider but more concerned with finding the right fit as far as neighborhood goes and cost of a home. Last question - are there any areas I should avoid if I'm looking to avoid a snooty bunch? Looking for nice area but without too much ego. We're pretty down to earth people who just want a more relaxed and family focused area.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:21 AM

751 posts, read 934,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorbal View Post
All very informative thank you. Something to consider but more concerned with finding the right fit as far as neighborhood goes and cost of a home. Last question - are there any areas I should avoid if I'm looking to avoid a snooty bunch? Looking for nice area but without too much ego. We're pretty down to earth people who just want a more relaxed and family focused area.

At your price point (< $400K), there's not a lot of snooty areas. Moreso solid hard working middle-upper middle class families.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 AM

64 posts, read 77,686 times
That sounds perfect.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM

87 posts, read 229,753 times
If I may piggy back on this thread instead of starting another one. I'm trying to narrow down between the areas surrounding the Hawkridge elementary and the Beverly woods elementary school. I don't have a job yet, but my husband will be commuting downtown, so i assume the Beverly woods area (what is that area called?) is a closer commute?
At first I had liked placed in Ballantyne, but based on some guidance, I think that's a much longer commute?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj97 View Post
If I may piggy back on this thread instead of starting another one. I'm trying to narrow down between the areas surrounding the Hawkridge elementary and the Beverly woods elementary school. I don't have a job yet, but my husband will be commuting downtown, so i assume the Beverly woods area (what is that area called?) is a closer commute?
At first I had liked placed in Ballantyne, but based on some guidance, I think that's a much longer commute?
The area around BW Elementary is called Beverly Woods, or Sharon Woods; really most people would cal it the area just south of South Park (as in Southpark Mall). And yes, its a much shorter commute than the Ballantyne area, something like 20-25 minutes versus 35-45 (or more) minutes.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM

87 posts, read 229,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The area around BW Elementary is called Beverly Woods, or Sharon Woods; really most people would cal it the area just south of South Park (as in Southpark Mall). And yes, its a much shorter commute than the Ballantyne area, something like 20-25 minutes versus 35-45 (or more) minutes.
Thanks! Also - Is this also one of the pricier neighborhoods in Charlotte? We plan to rent at first but as I look at home prices, they seem rather high. Is this because of the 'great' school district?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Thanks! Also - Is this also one of the pricier neighborhoods in Charlotte? We plan to rent at first but as I look at home prices, they seem rather high. Is this because of the 'great' school district?
I'm not knowledgeable to offer specifics on that, but in general, the southeast quadrant of Charlotte (which includes Beverly Woods) is the most expensive area. There are definitely more expensive neighborhoods in Charlotte than Beverly Woods, like Myers Park, for example.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
Beverly Woods has close proximity to Uptown and South Park jobs centers, a solid elementary school, and a desirability factor due to the location. While Beverly Woods itself has older and more modest homes, it is in a general area of Charlotte with high property values due to prestige / location. Factors like being near SouthPark Mall, Phillips Place, Quail Hollow Country Club, Harris YMA, etc... push the values up in that part of town. Beverly Woods, being on the doorstep of SouthPark, is just in a relatively upscale and desirable part of the city and the price per square foot reflects that.

Beverly Woods is very popular with young families who still want to be near restaurants, breweries, and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte