U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 AM

655 posts, read 516,228 times

Advertisements

Kids adjust better than you'd expect. We were in the same boat coming in blind with no friends, but a couple things helped. First, you'll quickly become friends with the parents of your kids' friends. Second, move into an established neighborhood (as opposed to little one-street neighborhoods)...most of the established ones have active HOAs with neighborhood events. And the people that choose to live there are also more apt to be the type of people that want to meet others and socialize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM

81 posts, read 111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Kids adjust better than you'd expect. We were in the same boat coming in blind with no friends, but a couple things helped. First, you'll quickly become friends with the parents of your kids' friends. Second, move into an established neighborhood (as opposed to little one-street neighborhoods)...most of the established ones have active HOAs with neighborhood events. And the people that choose to live there are also more apt to be the type of people that want to meet others and socialize.
My concerns as well... do you think the newer subdivisions (being that the houses are so close together, not a fan of btw) are better for socialization than say a a more established neighborhood with homes spaced further apart?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Don't think it matters that much. We've lived in 3 developments so far in Charlotte (hopefully will stay at 3 for a long while).

The first, houses were on top of each other...and we spoke to our direct neighbors off and on, but saw most people up at the community playground and made more friends there and w/parents at the centralized bus stop.

Second, houses were "normally spaced apart"...we lived on a cul-de-sac and met most of the neighbors' kids' parents while they were out playing. Cul-de-sac's are great ways to meet other parents that live near by

Third, houses are more spaced apart, but again we've met a bunch of neighbors at the centralized bus stop. We also meet people and chat when just walking around the neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM

1,453 posts, read 995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbxqt View Post
My concerns as well... do you think the newer subdivisions (being that the houses are so close together, not a fan of btw) are better for socialization than say a a more established neighborhood with homes spaced further apart?
New vs. established is a rather broad generalization. There are established neighborhoods with more kids on the block than some newer subdivisions (or just more social neighbors on the block) and then there are established neighborhoods with way less kids than a new subdivision. It just completely depends on the specific neighborhood and even the specific street within the neighborhood.

I've known people who bought a house thinking "now we will be friends with our neighbors" only to find out they just don't have that much in common with their neighbors other than living in the same space. They ended up finding deep friendships over time elsewhere, but stay friendly with neighbors. Then on the flip-side there are people who hit it out of the park. They click instantly and are regularly over at each other's houses. It just totally depends on the specific situation. You can't really plan for it though unless you already know somebody in the neighborhood and have friends there. Otherwise, it puts a lot of pressure on the house search to result in an end goal of friends... with people you know nothing about. It is like moving in with a stranger you meet on a blind date, assuming it will work out and you'll end up married. Except with a house, you can't just move out overnight, haha.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:57 PM

59 posts, read 54,840 times
So true CLT4. Most I think comes down to luck

Old 03-09-2018, 01:15 PM

As we get closer to our next visit to Charlotte in a few weeks, I'm trying to make an estimated budget if we were to live there. Many of our costs won't change much, but I have no idea how to get approximate costs for utility costs/other housing costs. Ideas on where I can get any sample budgets like this for a 4BR, 2bath house/family of 4 type arrangement? I also heard food is more expensive there, so does $150-200/week for groceries for a family of 4 sound reasonable? I'm just looking for approximates; doesn't have to be perfect. I'll take anything you can share! TIA.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Utilities is similar to other places. A lot depends on whether you have a gas furnace or electric heat pump and then how cold it gets in the winter.

In terms of food, it did seem a bit more expensive than other areas of the country...but we also do all our shopping at Harris Teeter and could save some by going the WalMart/Aldi/Lydl route. A lot of that cost too depends on what goes into your food budget (big produce eaters? beer/wine? etc). Our budget for 4 more like $300/week, but that includes a ton of produce and some for craft beer as well.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 PM

My house is 3,500 square feet. Built in 1984.

Electricity: $60 - $90 in fall - spring, $130 - $160 in summer. We keep thermostat at 72 in summer.

Gas: $20 - $30, except in four peak months of winter where it ranges $90 - $140. We do enjoy our gas fireplace, which drives up cost in winter more than if we didn't use it. Peak winter cost our gas furnace thermostat kept at 69 + fireplace usage.

Water: $70 when we don't water the lawn. When the lawn needs to be watered, it is around $180 - $200 depending on how much watering. I have fescue on .75 acres.

Trash is part of property tax bill.

Food costs will vary dramatically based on where you shop. If you are an Aldi, Walmart, or Trader Joe's shopper, you might not see a big variance in costs. For a regular mainline grocery, Harris Teeter runs more expensive and has a stronghold on areas like South Charlotte so they run more expensive than ShopRite. Harris Teeter's monopoly on upscale areas of the city is being challenged more by Publix, etc... Food Lion actually has decent pricing, but quality and selection is So-So in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM

This is great thank you! I know property taxes vary between counties, but any estimates on that? I pay $12K per year now and looking forward to savings here.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorbal View Post
This is great thank you! I know property taxes vary between counties, but any estimates on that? I pay $12K per year now and looking forward to savings here.
It will be nowhere near $12,000 per year assuming something like a $400,000 home.

A $400k home would be anywhere from ~$2,200 per year in a lower taxed county like York, SC to ~$4,500 in Charlotte city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or