U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM

59 posts, read 54,214 times

Advertisements

great. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Hi everyone! We just returned from our Charlotte trip (our second). It was great. We stayed in Landsdowne per your suggestion and it was perfect. Beautiful neighborhood and close to all. We found many other neighborhoods we liked all over Charlotte and especially loved the south Charlotte ones. Now need to dig further into jobs and crunch numbers before we can decide if we’re going to do it. Jobs are a main concern but that’s another story. A few questions came out of the trip:
1) I love getting involved with my community and meeting other moms. Is Meetup or another place the best way to do that? We plan on joining a neighborhood with pool amenities so that would help too.
2) For those that moved from bigger cities (NYC, LA, etc), have you found the transition difficult because of the smaller size of Charlotte? I think we’d have plenty to do, and would probably do more since it’s be easier to get into the city. But I’m nervous about the drastic change since I’ve lived near NY and LA for so many years now. Any advice?
Thanks everyone. This forum has been so helpful and I really hope our move works out!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

648 posts, read 508,311 times
Honestly, we met most of our friends through our kids. Meeting other parents at day care/school, meeting their friends' parents, etc. Also, walking with your kid to the bus stop (if elementary) is another way to meet other parents in your neighborhood at the bus stop.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 AM

Hi again,
Still doing our research to figure out if this is the right move. A few more questions for you all:
1) for those who relocated, any headhunters you recommend?
2) I’m having a hard time not being closer to the ocean in charlotte only bc I’ve lived near it my whole life. Lake Norman seems great. Would love to know if people really go and use it in summers and any tips you have for fully enjoying it!
3) again for those that relocated, what made you finally pull the trigger to move? How many times did you visit?

Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 AM

Not that it helps your situation, but I travelled here 2-3 times for work and realized I really liked it better than the NE. My wife agreed to move sight unseen...we put our house on the market and after receiving an offer, she came down for the first time to house hunt.

Being away from the ocean is probably the biggest drawback, but there are other ways to enjoy nature here. Charleston is also just a 3 hour drive away for a weekend jaunt. And you can plan more summer vacations around the beach if needed. We've never been up to Lake Norman in 5+ years here. There's also Lake Wylie you may want to get opinions on.

At the end of the day, every city in the US will have plusses and drawbacks to your individual situation. For me, it was the weather (not freezing in winter, still have seasons) and overall greenery of the city that drew me. While there are downsides, we (try to) choose to focus on what brought us here in the first place. But whatever happens, just jump in with both feet, write out (in permanent marker) the reasons you choose to move and continually refer back to that list what you get frustrated.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 AM

1,449 posts, read 981,984 times
2. Lots of people use Lake Norman, but you are going to want to have a boat or join a boat club if you are going to be a frequent user. There are houses all around the lake so it is busy and popular all summer long, especially on weekends. There is limited public access for swimming and unless you have a boat to get out in the open or go to some of the islands, etc... I don't think the public swimming beaches look very fun (they keep you in very shallow water, are swamped with people, and aren't very big).

3. Visited 4 times with work, 1 time with spouse in the middle of winter when it was 28 degrees. We still had a great visit despite the cold and decided it was the right move for us.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Thank you! Very helpful. May I ask what part of Charlotte you decided to move to? I was happy to see how many beautiful areas of or around the city we could choose from. Figuring out if we can move with just one income to start is something I’m working on, but as you said, there are so many positives if we can do it!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 AM

Thanks CLT, good to hear.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 AM

We ended up in South Charlotte. We actually rented a rental real estate agent for the weekend we went house hunting. Told him where I'd be working and what type of town we'd like to live in and they steered us to Ballantyne at the time. That worked for a year, but we eventually moved a bit further East.

Spending $500 for that agent, even with a rental, was invaluable as it was almost like having your own personal tour guide of the area. We probably saw 10-15 houses that weekend. It also gave us access to the MLS listings which were more updated than redfin/trulia. He also was able to give us the lowdown on certain neighborhoods to ensure they were a fit for us.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM

Thanks so much. We originally liked Huntersville but then I think decided on South Charlotte. I have been in touch with a realtor and we met her during our last trip. You’re right that driving around to see houses was most helpful! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or