U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:23 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times

Advertisements

The recent events in Florida are noteworthy, in that recent, never before seen, weather patterns have wrecked havoc on Florida's infrastructure.

This morning I read an article which reported 200 hundred sewage spills across the state, and their effects.

Fortunately, the majority of Florida derives their water from groundwater sources.

What does this have to do with Charlotte?

We have a major wastewater treatment plant in Huntersville, whose product is dumped into creeks, which flow into Mountain Island Lake. And just below the bend, is Charlotte's drinking water intake.

Given the recent, abnormal, events in Florida (in addition to the freak weather event in nearby Columbia SC a year or two ago), is there cause for concern in Charlotte?

Is the City well prepared for an (extremely) unusual weather event that might affect the wastewater plant in Huntersville?

Again, an event at the wastewater plant would not be a "drop in the bucket," as the plant is directly above Charlotte's water intake.

Not looking to cause any alarm, nor am I overly concerned about it. But this morning's report had me wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 01:31 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Why don't you contact the city utilities department and ask them?

Contact Charlotte Water

Old 09-15-2017, 04:42 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Why don't you contact the city utilities department and ask them?

Contact Charlotte Water
I thought I would post this on the forum, because my fellow posters have a wealth of knowledge, and sometimes reveal insights into information that the average representative doesn't have.

But you're right; it's probably best that I go right to the source

Old 09-15-2017, 09:02 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times
Honestly I doubt most municipalities are prepared for truly catastrophic events such as the flooding in Columbia a year or two ago. It's just too costly to plan for every single possible scenario, including the 'once in 500 year flood'. Many would argue it's too costly NOT to plan for that and both would probably be right to a degree.

The infrastructure in the US is seriously in bad shape and freak weather events really shine a light on it.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,447 times
What is the alternative?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The recent events in Florida are noteworthy, in that recent, never before seen, weather patterns have wrecked havoc on Florida's infrastructure.

This morning I read an article which reported 200 hundred sewage spills across the state, and their effects.

Fortunately, the majority of Florida derives their water from groundwater sources.

What does this have to do with Charlotte?

We have a major wastewater treatment plant in Huntersville, whose product is dumped into creeks, which flow into Mountain Island Lake. And just below the bend, is Charlotte's drinking water intake.

Given the recent, abnormal, events in Florida (in addition to the freak weather event in nearby Columbia SC a year or two ago), is there cause for concern in Charlotte?

Is the City well prepared for an (extremely) unusual weather event that might affect the wastewater plant in Huntersville?

Again, an event at the wastewater plant would not be a "drop in the bucket," as the plant is directly above Charlotte's water intake.

Not looking to cause any alarm, nor am I overly concerned about it. But this morning's report had me wondering.
OK, I'm confused. After screening & treating sewage water, the water released from sewage treatment plants is considered to be clean water. What is done with the solids is beyond me. In Milwaukee, the solids are sanitized & sold as Milorganite, for a pretty penney.

Sewage spills are usually the result of breaks in a sewer line, most frequently resulting from deep freezes in the winter or by old pipes. For the sewage spill to occur at the sewage treatment plant, there would have to be a catastrophic failure. Years ago, I remember seeing pictures or video of a sewage treatment facility. It seems that there is a failsafe to prevent dumping contaminated water in case of a power failure. Under normal failures, the treatment facility would be contaminated, unless the facility was blown up. As to what would happen during a hurricane, the answer probably lies in what happened during Hugo.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, I'm confused. After screening & treating sewage water, the water released from sewage treatment plants is considered to be clean water. What is done with the solids is beyond me. In Milwaukee, the solids are sanitized & sold as Milorganite, for a pretty penney.

Sewage spills are usually the result of breaks in a sewer line, most frequently resulting from deep freezes in the winter or by old pipes. For the sewage spill to occur at the sewage treatment plant, there would have to be a catastrophic failure. Years ago, I remember seeing pictures or video of a sewage treatment facility. It seems that there is a failsafe to prevent dumping contaminated water in case of a power failure. Under normal failures, the treatment facility would be contaminated, unless the facility was blown up. As to what would happen during a hurricane, the answer probably lies in what happened during Hugo.
I hope you haven't been traveling to Milwaukee to purchase. I will donate my solids to anyone interested for free.

We visited the sewage treatment plant in Charlotte as part of a field trip in middle school. What a treat it was.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,022,755 times
How much more are people willing to pay in taxes and fees or for services or products in order to put in place "preventions" for every foreseeable and hypothetical occurrence? Be prepared and have a plan (if either are feasible) for potential events which concern you.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:30 AM

There is actually a science to disaster recovery that considers probability and impact that our city services management considers.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:24 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I thought I would post this on the forum, because my fellow posters have a wealth of knowledge, and sometimes reveal insights into information that the average representative doesn't have.

But you're right; it's probably best that I go right to the source
Or they might be completely full of bad information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte