U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

I am a Danish guy, born in Copenhagen and I got job offer from Charlotte, NC and I have been living in the States for about 4 years, working in IT. I need some feedback about Charlotte, NC before making my final decision. But first, for those who know Europeans, we care more about cultural life style of a city with local offerings so my taste is entirely different than someone who would call Nashville or Atlanta as a "cultural city". I would especially appreciate answers from someone who knows Europe. First of all let me explain clearly what I am looking for: my tastes and what I am looking for are way different than those of an average American (please no offense there). I am not interested in a family oriented town or how many Trader's Joe are or big shopping malls are. Restaurants by themselves mean nothing to me. I am rather looking for a place with independent, cosy and local coffee shops, jazz club, independent movie club or independent movie theaters. A place with aura, charm, charisma and non commercialized culture. I have been in 37 states and saw many cities and I don't think a size of a city matters when it comes to characteristics I mentioned above. For example I LOVED Charlottesville, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, Boston, New Orleans and Santa Fe because they offer such things I mentioned. Charlottesville, VA was my favorite (even if the population was around 50,000) because in such small city they offered such local places which are independent and not commercialized (on the other hand, no offense to our Nashville friends but I can't stand Nashville). So here is my biggest question: is Charlotte such city to fulfill my expectations? I saw Charlotte for two days and I even saw Noda but I was not that impressed. Are there hidden germs that I haven't seen in Charlotte? Any Italian coffee shops or espresso bars, jazz clubs, movie theater showing independent movies? These are my must. So I really appreciate your answers. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Thomas Larsen; 09-23-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 05:10 PM

10,621 posts, read 11,201,792 times
Sounds like you would like Chapel Hill if you liked Charlottesville. Lots of IT jobs in the the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) so maybe keep looking in that area instead? Charlotte has pockets of cool like you saw in NoDa, but I'd say overall it's more Nashville w/o the country music (throw in a little NASCAR instead) than Charlottesville.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. Noda was very small though and there was one local coffee shop. My job is near South Park and Meyers Park area. I had impression that these were expensive snobby neighborhoods with expensive shopping malls but they didn't look like they would offer any cultural activity that I mentioned above. Mostly commercial movie theaters and so on... Am I right? I also searched for a true jazz club, I couldn't find any. I am not talking about restaurant though, I mean jazz club with live jazz. I was very surprised that didn't exist in such big city as Charlotte. I guess American heritage jazz is more popular in Europe than the U.S which is bummer for me.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Larsen View Post
Thanks for your reply. Noda was very small though and there was one local coffee shop. My job is near South Park and Meyers Park area. I had impression that these were expensive snobby neighborhoods with expensive shopping malls but they didn't look like they would offer any cultural activity that I mentioned above. Mostly commercial movie theaters and so on... Am I right? I also searched for a true jazz club, I couldn't find any. I am not talking about restaurant though, I mean jazz club with live jazz. I was very surprised that didn't exist in such big city as Charlotte. I guess American heritage jazz is more popular in Europe than the U.S which is bummer for me.
A lot of what you asked for is in Philadelphia. Go on the Philadelphia board & ask about jazz clubs.

However, you might be fine in Charlotte if you don't mind travelling around the area. I live 30 miles west of Charlotte. My town does a film festival in the summer. Another town does a film festival as well. The films in my town are independent films. We have an independent coffee shop as well as Starbucks. Other towns have independent coffee shops. Lots of small towns around here, including mine, have festivals. You're more likely to run into bluegrass bands. Bluegrass is Americana.

It's up to you.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 PM

I think there is some jazz in Charlotte, but that's not my area of expertise. Charlotte has some cool stuff, though. Did you check out Dilworth? There are local coffee shops and restaurants and other music venues throughout the city. I'm just not super familiar with jazz in Charlotte. I know the Bechtler has a regular jazz feature: The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and I think there's a jazz club at the NC Music Factory.

For other clubs the Visulite Theater has some good shows, more in the rock vein, but a variety of music.

In general Charlotte is a little more business-oriented — it's a financial center, after all, a little more pro-sports, and probably a little more high-end shopping oriented (Neiman Marcus, Dean and DeLuca, etc). The Triangle of NC is a little more academic oriented (home to University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Duke Uni and NC Central Uni in Durham, NC State Uni, Meredith Uni, St Augustine's College and more in Raleigh). IT, biotech, medicine and pharma are really big employment sectors along academics. Lots of museums, not so many pro-sports (only hockey right now, working on soccer/fodbold). College sports, especially basketball (go UNC National Champs!) are really big. Lots of what I would call cultural events come with the universities. Check www.carolinaperformingarts.org .

I know there is a place in Durham, the Beyu Caffe & Jazz Club, that might interest you if you did find a job in the Triangle. In general I think jazz is bigger in Europe than in the US, but in NC, Durham is probably the jazziest place. Branford Marsalis has a home in Durham and NC Central University in Durham has a great jazz program in which Branford is an artist in residence. Nnenna Freelon's son Pierce Freelon is currently running for mayor in Durham!

Chapel Hill and Durham are adjacent to each other, btw.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 425,848 times
Thomas Larsen, you'd hate SouthPark/Myers Park. They're beautiful neighborhoods, but spotless, chain-laden, family-oriented ones. (I like them, though.)

There are very few "independent, cosy and local coffee shops, jazz club, independent movie club or independent movie theaters" in Charlotte.

You might like Asheville, NC, or Greenville, SC (which, although much smaller than Charlotte, have lots of charm and are close by).

I spent a lot of time in the 1990s living in Europe. I went to Charlotte for a job transfer, didn't dislike it but didn't love it, either,
and moved away.

Note: You might want to change your screen name; employers can Google you and find posts such as yours.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think there is some jazz in Charlotte, but that's not my area of expertise. Charlotte has some cool stuff, though. Did you check out Dilworth? There are local coffee shops and restaurants and other music venues throughout the city. I'm just not super familiar with jazz in Charlotte. I know the Bechtler has a regular jazz feature: The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and I think there's a jazz club at the NC Music Factory.

For other clubs the Visulite Theater has some good shows, more in the rock vein, but a variety of music.

In general Charlotte is a little more business-oriented it's a financial center, after all, a little more pro-sports, and probably a little more high-end shopping oriented (Neiman Marcus, Dean and DeLuca, etc). The Triangle of NC is a little more academic oriented (home to University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Duke Uni and NC Central Uni in Durham, NC State Uni, Meredith Uni, St Augustine's College and more in Raleigh). IT, biotech, medicine and pharma are really big employment sectors along academics. Lots of museums, not so many pro-sports (only hockey right now, working on soccer/fodbold). College sports, especially basketball (go UNC National Champs!) are really big. Lots of what I would call cultural events come with the universities. Check www.carolinaperformingarts.org .

I know there is a place in Durham, the Beyu Caffe & Jazz Club, that might interest you if you did find a job in the Triangle. In general I think jazz is bigger in Europe than in the US, but in NC, Durham is probably the jazziest place. Branford Marsalis has a home in Durham and NC Central University in Durham has a great jazz program in which Branford is an artist in residence. Nnenna Freelon's son Pierce Freelon is currently running for mayor in Durham!

Chapel Hill and Durham are adjacent to each other, btw.
Yes, jazz is much more popular in Europe, except New Orleans. Historically, Chicago & Philadelphia were noted outposts. The last I knew there was a jazz club in Philadelphia, on North Broad St, that dated back to the 20s or 30s. I don't know if gentrification has displaced it. There's a lot to do in this area. Shelby created a bluegrass-oriented museum, named after Earl Scruggs.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 PM

Friends just posted on facebook that Branford Marsalis just joined Angelique Kidjo onstage at her NC Museum of Art outdoor performance in Raleigh!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Hi guys I appreciate a lot your answers. I thank you very much. Southbound_295, which town 30 miles west of Charlotte that you are talking about? I also forgot to ask: How is Lake Norman and Davidson area?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 PM

94 posts, read 184,940 times
While I love Charlotte and it is amazing fit for me, based on what you describe I personally think you'd be miserable here. One of its greatest draws is how family friendly it is. Chain stores galore. While there are pockets of unique, so much of the city is new (Ballantyne didn't even exist 20+ years ago) you aren't going to find anything like what you see in NYC, Boston, etc.

I would think first find a city that has great public transportation and you'll already be narrowing down to a place better suited to you than Charlotte.

That said, I've never been to Charlottesville so no idea how it compares to Charlotte. But when you described what you like I just don't picture Charlotte. But I don't know you so the best you can do is immerse yourself and see, but when I picture Boston (I used to live there) I don't remotely picture Charlotte being anything similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or