Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,913,543 times

Advertisements

Husband qualifies for Italian citizenship and the list of paperwork needed is a mile long and a lot of it in Italian (which I don't speak). Anyone know if any immigration lawyers that help with this issue? I've only found ones that help with coming TO America and not the other way around. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 01:33 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,575,802 times
Check your PMs

Old 10-06-2017, 02:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,058,340 times
This is interesting. What paperwork is needed? Parents' and grandparents' birth certificates and marriage certificates? What else?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
This is interesting. What paperwork is needed? Parents' and grandparents' birth certificates and marriage certificates? What else?
I need all of that (this goes back to great grandparents) it must both be in English and Italian and notorized. I need to petition the dept of immigration and naturalization for papers that must also be in Italian and English, I need to somehow contact the state of Italy he was born in and get a certified birth certificate (we're talking 1900) and I need a few more things from what I've seen. The consulate is no help lol. They don't even have an option to talk to someone. I need a lawyer lol. Its too much and a lot of the sites I try are all Italian.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 PM

386 posts, read 361,499 times
Only a mile long? Not so bad! For US Green Card and citizenship requirements, the list of similar requirements is a few miles or more long. In other words, Italy's expectations are quite similar to US and most western and other developed nations' normal requirements.

Most countries view possible citizenship as primarily benefiting applicants far more than the nation itself. Consequently, reasonable burdens of proof, effort, etc. are on the applicant not on an Honorary Consulate Consul here in Charlotte nor on the Embassy of Italy in DC. Each represent economic, political, and other interests primarily benefiting current Italian citizens or companies in Charlotte (roughly 46) or in the US.

Setting aside the preceding realities, requirements for birth and marriage certificates, notarized documents, etc. likely will necessitate engaging an Italian attorney in Italy itself or possibly with associated-law firms in the US (think bigger US cities with many more Italian companies, citizens, etc.; e.g., NY, Philly, Boston, etc.). For some relatively basic translation requirements or birth/marriage certificate requests, potentially consider contacting the Italian-American Chamber of Commerce (link here: Charlotte USA - Italy - International Firms, Foreign Trade Zone #57, Charlotte USA | Charlotte Regional Partnership), possibly some Italian companies (e.g., Italian ex-pats possibly with spouses who may have free time and enjoy helping with your paper chase for reasonable compensation), UNCC's or other universities' Italian departments/ professors or International Student groups, etc.

At the end of your document compilation process and before getting documents translated from English to Italian notarized, you'll want to be 100% confident all translations are absolutely accurate. Bottom line: You won't want to take any chances with bad translations.

Buona fortuna (good luck)!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I need all of that (this goes back to great grandparents) it must both be in English and Italian and notorized. I need to petition the dept of immigration and naturalization for papers that must also be in Italian and English, I need to somehow contact the state of Italy he was born in and get a certified birth certificate (we're talking 1900) and I need a few more things from what I've seen. The consulate is no help lol. They don't even have an option to talk to someone. I need a lawyer lol. Its too much and a lot of the sites I try are all Italian.
At some point, you will likely have to deal with the consulate. I may be way off, but having seen my friend go through the process, even with a lawyers intervention, you still have to deal with the consulate.

I dunno if you got my PM, but I sent you the name of a person who has dual citizenship, and deals with Italy on a regular basis. They might be able to point you in the direction of a lawyer that deals with immigration issues.

In addition, the below website lists this as a resource:

Honorary Consulates:

Honorary Consulate in CHARLOTTE (NC)
Honorary Consul: Claudio CARPANO

1704 East Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28203
Tel. 704 – 373 – 2867
Fax 704 – 373 – 2603
E-mail: charlotte.onorario@esteri.it
Jurisdiction: North Carolina

Consulates in the USA

In my limited experience, the consulate works with immigration lawyers on a frequent basis, and they might be able to refer you to the name of a lawyer.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 AM
NDL

"The role of the Honorary Consulate is to provide assistance and protection to Italian citizens in consultation with a supervising Italian mission.

They assist with legal and immigration/visa matters, in the field of cultural promotion, as well as fostering trade and investment."

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Italy.NC/about/

You're lucky. I looked into something a couple of years ago, and at that point, Charlotte did not have a consulate. Your Husband is not yet a citizen of Italy, but in my experience, people with the consulate are usually very helpful.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:42 AM

391 posts, read 397,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Husband qualifies for Italian citizenship and the list of paperwork needed is a mile long and a lot of it in Italian (which I don't speak). Anyone know if any immigration lawyers that help with this issue? I've only found ones that help with coming TO America and not the other way around. Thanks!
Doesn't you husband have to have command of the Italian language before he becomes a citizen?

Old 10-07-2017, 01:55 PM

386 posts, read 361,499 times
@Sweetbottoms , Google searches for info may help, e.g., this linked site, related book Getting Started Guide To Italian Citizenship, and contacting the writer who followed a similar dream
https://www.italiancitizenshipforame...-requirements/
Writer's contact: Contact

Old 10-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Doesn't you husband have to have command of the Italian language before he becomes a citizen?

no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: