Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 PM

31 posts, read 108,440 times

Advertisements

What do people usually follow around Charlotte for School ratings ? there isnt a huge difference but I have seen schools with 6/7 ratings on greatschools.org being 9 or 10 on carolinaschoool hub. I have seen 3 to 4 of those types in a specific area (concord/ harrisburg). Can one one shed any light on which is better to follow ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times
I check out greatschools but really most of the time it's the people that have complaints that utilize those sites for the most part.

Which schools in the Concord area?

Old 10-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Harrisburg elem shows 10 on carolinaschoolhug but greatschool shows it as 7. another one is Wellington Hill (in concord) with diff ratings (difference of one point is just fine) but not 3.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:54 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,688,665 times
Greatschools has made their ranking methodology more complicated and include more factors than just the average state and national test scores. For example, Harrisburg ranked a 7 on Greatschools due to student progress and the equity rank being 7 and 6 respectfully. Carolinasschoolhub doesn't have an equivalent methodology for those categories.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapil_takeit_easy View Post
Harrisburg elem shows 10 on carolinaschoolhug but greatschool shows it as 7. another one is Wellington Hill (in concord) with diff ratings (difference of one point is just fine) but not 3.
Harrisburg ES has always had a good reputation among Cabarrus County schools. I heard that they might be getting a language immersion program in the next couple of years.

Weddington Hills. When my son was in K, he attended a charter school and there were a LOT of kids that were zoned for Weddington attending the charter. My son played baseball and his coach (for the 4 years he played) had kids that attended and were attending Weddington and liked it. It's now an IB school.

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...lementary.html (Weddington Hills school report card)

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...lementary.html (Harrisburg Elementary)

Old 10-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Harrisburg elementary will be starting an immersion program for incoming Kindergartners for the 2018/2019 school year.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM

I had another observation (rather revealation) on Zillow site about greatschool ratings. if you checkout homes on zillow and it shows greatschool ratings, they are way way outdated (may be frozen from two years ago). so if you navigate from zillow to greatschools the ratings are stale but if you were to google a school rating directly on greatschools it wiill come out ot be totally different. case in point - Cox Mills Elementary...on zillow t shows as 9 out of 10 but individually it shows as 6 out of 10... likewise none of concord or harrisburg, PAtriots, Pitsbull).... Makes me wonder how much Zillow reflected school ratings should be considered while making decisions.. Rather schools in University area (Mallard Creek, Stoney creek) are showing as rockstars (like 7/10) whereas in zillow they show as 6 or 4...

Is there any other way to assess schools ?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,688,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapil_takeit_easy View Post
I had another observation (rather revealation) on Zillow site about greatschool ratings. if you checkout homes on zillow and it shows greatschool ratings, they are way way outdated (may be frozen from two years ago). so if you navigate from zillow to greatschools the ratings are stale but if you were to google a school rating directly on greatschools it wiill come out ot be totally different. case in point - Cox Mills Elementary...on zillow t shows as 9 out of 10 but individually it shows as 6 out of 10... likewise none of concord or harrisburg, PAtriots, Pitsbull).... Makes me wonder how much Zillow reflected school ratings should be considered while making decisions.. Rather schools in University area (Mallard Creek, Stoney creek) are showing as rockstars (like 7/10) whereas in zillow they show as 6 or 4...

Is there any other way to assess schools ?
Experience from real families is probably the best thing over rankings from a business that is constantly changing their rating system to keep it interesting.

Greatschools recently overhauled their entire website. Their new rating system is extremely confusing and not equal between schools. For example, if a school has some low income or minority students, they throw in the equity ranking and that can impact the schools scores. If a school is 95%+ not low income though, that isn't a part of their rating.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Cox Mill is one of the best if not the best ES in Cabarrus County.

NC grades schools: Here are Charlotte area

Cox Mill is an A+ rated school

Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
Use the NC DPI site where a lot of data on schools is available.

I would look at class size, if high school, how many student took AP Courses and if middle stool, how many took the algebra EOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte