U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
198 posts, read 347,065 times
Reputation: 130
I haven't been to the Hickory Furniture Mart, but from what I can tell it appears to be very similar to Furnitureland South, probably the largest furniture outlet in High Point (and possibly in the country ... seriously). The place is gigantic. They will give you a map when you walk in, and trust me, you need it -- you could honestly get lost in there without it.

The prices on the tags are NOT what you'll pay, so don't pass out! As a general rule, you can expect about 40% off the listed price, but you need to ask a sales associate what the real price would be. They also negotiate if you get a lower price somewhere else. It's like buying a car: figure out what pieces you want, then shop around High Point for the lowest price.

I use Furnitureland South for browsing around, but not for buying. Their webpage is very thorough, and they have more on their sales floor to see in person than any other company. But once I figure out what I want, I go elsewhere in High Point to get it (all the other companies will match prices, too).

Warning: Furnitureland South's customer service after the sale is horrendous. If your furniture is delivered damaged, it could be months before you see a replacement, if ever. I've had too many friends and family members get burned, so that's why I browse there but buy elsewhere.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
 
1,893 posts, read 3,146,029 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
I haven't been to the Hickory Furniture Mart, but from what I can tell it appears to be very similar to Furnitureland South, probably the largest furniture outlet in High Point (and possibly in the country ... seriously). The place is gigantic. They will give you a map when you walk in, and trust me, you need it -- you could honestly get lost in there without it.

The prices on the tags are NOT what you'll pay, so don't pass out! As a general rule, you can expect about 40% off the listed price, but you need to ask a sales associate what the real price would be. They also negotiate if you get a lower price somewhere else. It's like buying a car: figure out what pieces you want, then shop around High Point for the lowest price.

I use Furnitureland South for browsing around, but not for buying. Their webpage is very thorough, and they have more on their sales floor to see in person than any other company. But once I figure out what I want, I go elsewhere in High Point to get it (all the other companies will match prices, too).

Warning: Furnitureland South's customer service after the sale is horrendous. If your furniture is delivered damaged, it could be months before you see a replacement, if ever. I've had too many friends and family members get burned, so that's why I browse there but buy elsewhere.
Thank You.. I need a lot of furniture and was hoping to get it all in one area rather than running all over NC w/ swatches. Sounds like I can find most of the big stuff in High Point. Is there any other shop I shouldn't miss?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
21,808 posts, read 38,282,069 times
Reputation: 12959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Thank You.. I need a lot of furniture and was hoping to get it all in one area rather than running all over NC w/ swatches. Sounds like I can find most of the big stuff in High Point. Is there any other shop I shouldn't miss?
You can check out Thomasville Outlet Store on the way back. It is about 15 minutes South of Furniture Land South off Buisness 85 in Thomasville.
The items there are items that they use to carry in the regular store.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
 
1,893 posts, read 3,146,029 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You can check out Thomasville Outlet Store on the way back. It is about 15 minutes South of Furniture Land South off Buisness 85 in Thomasville.
The items there are items that they use to carry in the regular store.
Well. thank you. I will.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
5,926 posts, read 6,543,037 times
Reputation: 27516
When shopping for a Broyhill dining room set, we were able to get the mfr number of each of the pieces and I went to every Broyhill sales location I could across my sales territory at the time. (We did not get over to High Point or Thomasville, so I can't compare to them.) Anyway, I went in each place and had them quote me for the specific pieces we wanted. The best prices and delivery charges came from Almans in Newton and (I forget the store name) in Canon Village, Kannapolis.

In fact, several months later a co-worker was impressed and wanted to buy the same set, so I gave her my quotes. The place in Canon Village honored my prices for the coworker to buy!

Happy shopping!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 PM
 
7 posts, read 12,682 times
Reputation: 16
I think they can usually help you out if you buy multiple rooms at once. I bought a dining room set and a bedroom set at Value City this week and was able to get them to knock off $400. You just have to be willing to walk away if you don't get a price you like. The salespeople don't make any money if you don't buy anything, so they will usually try to make a deal with you. Don't be afraid to ask.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
 
1,893 posts, read 3,146,029 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
When shopping for a Broyhill dining room set, we were able to get the mfr number of each of the pieces and I went to every Broyhill sales location I could across my sales territory at the time. (We did not get over to High Point or Thomasville, so I can't compare to them.) Anyway, I went in each place and had them quote me for the specific pieces we wanted. The best prices and delivery charges came from Almans in Newton and (I forget the store name) in Canon Village, Kannapolis.

In fact, several months later a co-worker was impressed and wanted to buy the same set, so I gave her my quotes. The place in Canon Village honored my prices for the coworker to buy!

Happy shopping!!!
Thank you! I did go to Canon Villlage when we first came down and liked it very much. I was still not sure what I wanted or even needed at that point. I'm glad you reminded me of that because I will go back. (The mind is a terrible thing to waste!!! )
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
 
1,893 posts, read 3,146,029 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by headup View Post
I think they can usually help you out if you buy multiple rooms at once. I bought a dining room set and a bedroom set at Value City this week and was able to get them to knock off $400. You just have to be willing to walk away if you don't get a price you like. The salespeople don't make any money if you don't buy anything, so they will usually try to make a deal with you. Don't be afraid to ask.
Thank You. I saw that place not too long ago when I discovered Old Time Pottery Factory.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top