U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM

624 posts, read 1,313,721 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase furniture when I move down to the Huntersville area. First purchases will be for a sofa and loveseat with coffee table and end tables, looking to spend 1500-2000. Last time I was in the area I was looking down around Pineville at Rooms To Go, Ashley, Haverty's, Ethan Allen, that little row down there. Down the line also gonna need to purchase the dinner table, bar stools, and bedroom sets, but trying to pace it out over a little time.

My question is concerning negotiating the price. Do these large companies have room to negotiate, or is the price pretty much set? Do you recommend looking at smaller companies in the area and if so, can you provide information on where they are located? How much negotating room is possible? (personally I'm not much of a negotiator, but I have a mother and she would classify herself somewhere in the ruthless to flat out mean stage when it comes to negotiations, and when it comes to saving money, I'm willing to use her.)

I also am curious about delivery charges. I know at some places this can cost hundreds of additional dollars. Again is this something that can be negotiated? Also, if they do charge a delivery fee, is there an expectation to tip the movers? (I'm gonna be living on the third floor)

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I'm looking to purchase furniture when I move down to the Huntersville area. First purchases will be for a sofa and loveseat with coffee table and end tables, looking to spend 1500-2000. Last time I was in the area I was looking down around Pineville at Rooms To Go, Ashley, Haverty's, Ethan Allen, that little row down there. Down the line also gonna need to purchase the dinner table, bar stools, and bedroom sets, but trying to pace it out over a little time.

My question is concerning negotiating the price. Do these large companies have room to negotiate, or is the price pretty much set? Do you recommend looking at smaller companies in the area and if so, can you provide information on where they are located? How much negotating room is possible? (personally I'm not much of a negotiator, but I have a mother and she would classify herself somewhere in the ruthless to flat out mean stage when it comes to negotiations, and when it comes to saving money, I'm willing to use her.)

I also am curious about delivery charges. I know at some places this can cost hundreds of additional dollars. Again is this something that can be negotiated? Also, if they do charge a delivery fee, is there an expectation to tip the movers? (I'm gonna be living on the third floor)

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Seriously doubt any of the retailers you have listed will negotiate w/ you or anyone else. Perhaps w/ a large purchase they may drop the price a few points.

You will find more furniture bargains on Hwy. 321 N, outside of Hickory towards Lenoir. There are numerous outlets for various brand name furniture manufacturers in that region and they do deliver.

For upper end furniture at lower than retail price . . . I would suggest Boyles, as they represent some of the best lines of furniture and discount off retail.

In regard to the retailers you listed, the only time you are going to get any significant mark down off their established retail prices would be when they put things on sale. Of course, you can always ask!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:35 PM

58 posts, read 136,251 times
I was able to negotiate with Ashley Furniture. If you have credit available you can sometimes get a discount for opening a credit line as well. They have no pre-payoff penalty so you can pay it off immediately. If you are up for a 45 min trip from Huntersville you can trek out towards Waxhaw. There are some great deals in there alot of times.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM

64 posts, read 264,469 times
Go to Hickory - I bought a broyhill leather sectional (double loveseat sized) with 2 recliners for $1000 about 2 years ago. Great deals up there! They will give more discounts if you buy large amounts of furniture.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,250,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seriously doubt any of the retailers you have listed will negotiate w/ you or anyone else. Perhaps w/ a large purchase they may drop the price a few points.

You will find more furniture bargains on Hwy. 321 N, outside of Hickory towards Lenoir. There are numerous outlets for various brand name furniture manufacturers in that region and they do deliver.

For upper end furniture at lower than retail price . . . I would suggest Boyles, as they represent some of the best lines of furniture and discount off retail.

In regard to the retailers you listed, the only time you are going to get any significant mark down off their established retail prices would be when they put things on sale. Of course, you can always ask!!!
I think I'll try that myself. Thank You. I've heard that High Point has good prices on high end furniture, but have not made the trip yet. Do you know anything about this? I need everything as our buyers bought most of our furniture with the house.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM

624 posts, read 1,313,721 times
Thanks all for the tips. Any thoughts on the delivery charges or the etiquette on tipping the actual delivery guys? I'll be honest, I want to be cheap, but I don't think there's any need to stiff guys that carry a sofa and loveseat up three flights of stairs.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,379,809 times
I bought my furniture at Furniture Market Place in Pineville (Hwy 51) and was able to negotiate down significantly. They have a wide range of brands and prices. Delivery was $75 regardless of order size. I would have paid $300 just for my husband's office furniture at Hickory. They also will send someone over if something is not quite right to fix it...like drawer slides or the leaf of the dining table, at no charge.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,180,488 times
I purchased three rooms of furniture from Value City and paid for it via check. I did not pay any sales tax for the furniture since I paid for it upfront. This had to be haggled or I would've taken my business elsewhere. If you are paying for it upfront with cash, they should work something in your favor. The delivery charge for was only $50 for the lot, I tipped the two delivery men $75 each.

At checkout I found that did not deliver on Saturday and almost cancelled the order. As she was going through my order, she realized that we live in the same development. I was lucky because I was unable to take off a day for 90 days and they will not deliver with a teen in home. The woman agreed to have my furniture deliver on the day she was off and kindly took it in. We are friends eight months later. I can't list her name because its unethical for her to accept customers home delivery.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Thanks all for the tips. Any thoughts on the delivery charges or the etiquette on tipping the actual delivery guys? I'll be honest, I want to be cheap, but I don't think there's any need to stiff guys that carry a sofa and loveseat up three flights of stairs.
I always tip and it all depends on the size of load and how much labor was included (such as climbing stairs). I don't think anyone expects it but it only seems right to me. So for a load of furniture, I tip each delivery person $20. Now that is just me. If it were only several items, I would tip them each $10.

But that is just me. I have had people tell me there is no way they would tip delivery guys who are being paid a salary.

As for shipping - it is gonna cost you $200 and up to get a room of furniture delivered from the outlets in Hickory/Lenoir, all depending on weight, # pieces, etc. At least, that has been my experience based on where I live in S. CLT.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,250,081 times
Does anyone have any thoughts on High Point? I was thinking of heading out there next week. Is it like Hickory Furniture Mart? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte