Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

452 posts, read 1,345,805 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I worked for a large automotive company. There was an opening for a position. They posted this position on all job websites. They told me the position was mine. Then I saw the position posted online I ask my supervisor about it, he said; "We have to posted it, it's a company policy, so dont worry, it's yours." I did get the position. So now I look at CareerBuilder, Monster, Hotjobs a little different.

That is why people struggle with these career websites. There mostly adverstising for there company. Once in a while you'll get a real post. Im in the car business and Im going to Charlotte without a job. I am comfident that it will take me a month or two to land a job. I feel being bilingual with sales and finance management experience is a plus. But if I can not land a position in neither, I can always go into sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM

49 posts, read 118,539 times
being bilingual will help very much. we have many non english speaking illegals here who drive. Business is good for them now, but as construction jobs get weak with the housing industry, they may not be buying many new trucks. There are many car dealerships in Charlotte and the surrounding areas as well. Good Luck.
Check some of the major dealship websites, they may have jobs posted that are not in any career websites. The job I just got was recommended, and not on the career website but on the company website.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
A few years ago I worked for a large automotive company. There was an opening for a position. They posted this position on all job websites. They told me the position was mine. Then I saw the position posted online I ask my supervisor about it, he said; "We have to posted it, it's a company policy, so dont worry, it's yours." I did get the position. So now I look at CareerBuilder, Monster, Hotjobs a little different.

That is why people struggle with these career websites. There mostly adverstising for there company. Once in a while you'll get a real post. Im in the car business and Im going to Charlotte without a job. I am comfident that it will take me a month or two to land a job. I feel being bilingual with sales and finance management experience is a plus. But if I can not land a position in neither, I can always go into sales.
You should think long and hard about it... moving without a job is a very risky thing to do. I understand that many people may be looking the wrong way via web sites, but I don't think you knowing that really helps guarantee a job for you.

Altho the bi-lingual thing is likely to get you something, I get scared reading about the chance.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Yeah thats a good thing to do, go into the company websites. If you have a get up and go attitude, you'll land more jobs. What i do is: I do the JobHopping thing. Just go and leave your resume.. A cover letter is very very very important if you cant go in.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM

MikeyKid: I am moving from miami,fl. A place that ive been trying to get out for a few years now. Its almost like a big dog caged inside a small box. I have enough in savings to get by for at least 8 month. My buddy moved up there withouth a job and he landed a good job and he said being bilingual helped out a lot. There a lot of people who land jobs fast and some that take for ever. I think one of the biggest reasons is how some people interview. My buddy's wife took forever to land a job, about 20 interviews, I told him, "maybe she doesnt do well interviewing". So had a role playing sesssion with her. She landed a job two interviews later.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
And we have MANY LEGALS here who do not speak English who drive~!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty704 View Post
being bilingual will help very much. we have many non english speaking illegals here who drive. Business is good for them now, but as construction jobs get weak with the housing industry, they may not be buying many new trucks. There are many car dealerships in Charlotte and the surrounding areas as well. Good Luck.
Check some of the major dealship websites, they may have jobs posted that are not in any career websites. The job I just got was recommended, and not on the career website but on the company website.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Your wife is a teacher? She will most likely not have any trouble finding a job. Not sure about the automotive industry though.

Dawn

Quote:
MikeyKid: I am moving from miami,fl. A place that ive been trying to get out for a few years now. Its almost like a big dog caged inside a small box. I have enough in savings to get by for at least 8 month. My buddy moved up there withouth a job and he landed a good job and he said being bilingual helped out a lot. There a lot of people who land jobs fast and some that take for ever. I think one of the biggest reasons is how some people interview. My buddy's wife took forever to land a job, about 20 interviews, I told him, "maybe she doesnt do well interviewing". So had a role playing sesssion with her. She landed a job two interviews later.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM

My dealer rep here in miami spoke to the charlotte rep and he told him I should not have a problem. But i still dont understand your comment:

"And we have MANY LEGALS here who do not speak English who drive~!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty704 View Post
being bilingual will help very much. we have many non english speaking illegals here who drive. .
Quote:
My dealer rep here in miami spoke to the charlotte rep and he told him I should not have a problem. But i still dont understand your comment:

"And we have MANY LEGALS here who do not speak English who drive~!
Dawn was reacting to the comment above yours. Rightfully so!
Gotta love the fact that some people assume that just because you're bilingual, you're also "illegal".

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Im illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: