U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 AM

485 posts, read 283,422 times

Advertisements

Can i get anyone's input overall on this area. Nothing specific. Just overall thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:15 AM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
It is a nice area, relatively rural for being within Mecklenburg County. There isn't a ton of shopping or dining in Mint Hill itself. It is mainly a residential area. Most of the shopping is a drive over to Independence or University City which means it can take 20-30 minutes to run an errand. Independence is a traffic nightmare and not very fun.

One of the few places you can get an acre lot in Mecklenburg County without paying an arm and a leg these days.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:46 AM

718 posts, read 723,488 times
Yeah I think you will receive a lot of mixed reviews on Mint Hill. I think it is an interesting area. Parts are really decent and safe feeling and some are just odd. Not the most appealing area of town and having to rely on independence as noted above, is a nightmare. The surroundings right outside the area are less than desirable but I have never really heard anything too negative about the area in general. Older homes, established neighborhood, nice homes, mixed use around it. I think it is just an area that people forget about because its overshadowed by Providence areas. People get swayed easily by schools and start to jump wagons. THey forget about tradition and culture. I think it is worth checking out to see if it is your fit. I ever lived there but had friends that did with their middle school age children and they seemed to like it.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:01 AM

391 posts, read 240,786 times
Mint Hill ranges from semi-urban on the east side of Idlewild (across from Matthews) to rural. There are many amenities as previously mentioned, but not many are walkable due to distance and lack of density. Overall, it is a nice area mostly if you enjoy quieter sections of the county. My friend lives out that way and very close to a Buddhist Temple. They bang on their drums or whatever they use at odd hours. That is the extent of noise in his area. He doesn't mind. They don't have all night parties or drive down the road with music on high at 2:00 am. I'm talking about the Buddhist monks.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Regarding independence traffic, is it worse than driving the interstates? What don't you like about it and is non rush hour bad also? Is this near nc51 and how is that route?

Old 10-27-2017, 08:23 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,196,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
Regarding independence traffic, is it worse than driving the interstates? What don't you like about it and is non rush hour bad also? Is this near nc51 and how is that route?
Independence is just as bad as driving the interstate. My husband drives it daily to and from work.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Well I'm sure I'll be pissing off some of the drivers. I go the speed limit and drive defensively.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
In my personal opinion, it is worse than driving on the interstates. Interstates are separated from cross streets and you don't have as much danger of on-coming traffic and vehicles turning in and out. You don't have a shopping center with its driveway on the interstate.

Independence is the worst combination of the speeds of an interstate, but the danger of a highway. People driving 50-75 miles per hour, but there are turn outs, cross traffic, lights, people pulling out of shopping centers, etc.... It can be significantly more dangerous in my opinion. For example, on cross streets, US-74 is so busy that people will take risky right turns onto Independence in order to merge into traffic. So you have a car accelerating from 0 mph, pulling out in front of a car going 70 mph. The accident would not be pretty if the driver pulling out mis-judged the other driver's speed.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Omg. Are there ways around that can u take a diff route all together? When we were in wake forest I hated capital Blvd. And I think independence may be the same.

How many lanes each way? Is the whole area of independence busy? I thought independence was in matthews. No?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
If you're in Mint Hill you don't really need to be "on" Independence a whole lot. It's really moreso crossing over it and maybe going to it to get to the businesses right around 74/51.

But if you need to go to uptown for anything you may need to take Albemarle Rd which is pretty bad also and then merges into Independence.

If you stay within Mint Hill, there isn't a ton of traffic but this is still the same county as Charlotte and there is a good amount of traffic in much of the Charlotte metro these days. Some of these were freak things but these all happened within the past month in or near Mint Hill:

Officials respond to fatal accident in Mint Hill | WSOC-TV

Woman killed in east Charlotte wreck; police say speed a factor | WSOC-TV

Troopers identify driver killed in crash that shut down I-485 for hours | WSOC-TV

But as mentioned, overall Mint Hill is a good place to live, with reasonable housing costs without being too far out. You may need to go outside of Mint Hill for some things but shouldn't need to go real far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or