U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 AM

3,393 posts, read 3,179,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
It is a fact that the more diverse, the more crime and lower performing schools. It isn't "politically correct" to say that, but it is correct. What Eristic1 said may not be pleasing, but why should he lie and give snowflake, misinformation? A person that asks a question deserves a truthful answer.
In some areas that might be fact, but not in all areas. My kids school is made up of 57% Caucasian, 17.7% Asian and 15.1% African American. It's one of the best, if not the best ES in the county. We don't have a lot of crime either. I think the worst thing is car break-ins (mostly unlocked cars) and a couple of house break-ins. The ones responsible eventually get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:34 AM

391 posts, read 239,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
In some areas that might be fact, but not in all areas. My kids school is made up of 57% Caucasian, 17.7% Asian and 15.1% African American. It's one of the best, if not the best ES in the county. We don't have a lot of crime either. I think the worst thing is car break-ins (mostly unlocked cars) and a couple of house break-ins. The ones responsible eventually get caught.
Glad to hear it. Too bad all diverse neighbourhoods aren't as safe as yours. I am glad to say that my neighbourhood is diverse and safe as well, but we are in a almost predominately European American part of the county. We have Chinese, Italians, Cubans, Colombians, Mexicans, and one black family. We have had some issues with renters, i.e. drugs, and fortunately a good HOA to ensure yards are kept nice. Homes are generally around $300K. Overall, it is a really nice neighbourhood and presently the renters seem to be fine.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:17 PM

5,859 posts, read 7,677,324 times
Quote:
But you aren't in Charlotte which is what OP was looking for. While it's unfortunate, within the city limits Ertistic1's statement is probably fairly accurate.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:23 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,683,346 times
Try assimilating to the community you're in.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 PM

3,393 posts, read 3,179,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But you aren't in Charlotte which is what OP was looking for. While it's unfortunate, within the city limits Ertistic1's statement is probably fairly accurate.
We are just out of the city limits of north Charlotte and some that attend our ES do have a Charlotte address. I realize the OP is looking for South Charlotte but SOL's comment about diversity = poor schools and crime isn't always correct.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:59 PM

310 posts, read 169,836 times
Quote:
We are just out of the city limits of north Charlotte and some that attend our ES do have a Charlotte address. I realize the OP is looking for South Charlotte but SOL's comment about diversity = poor schools and crime isn't always correct.
To attempt to discredit an argument claiming a general trend by saying it doesn't explain all instances is at best disingenuous, and at worst dishonest.

My map is extremely accurate, and should help the OP in locating options to live.

As a single data point, consider the Central Ave corridor SW of uptown. Extremely diverse culturally but there's quite a bit of crime.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:25 PM

520 posts, read 296,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisca22 View Post
We just moved to Charlotte and are now renting in Myers Park. I have noticed there is very little diversity in this area where we live. My husband is from the Middle East and I feel like he is one of the very few from another country in this area of town. We moved from California and would like to see at least a little bit of diversity in our neighborhood. Is SouthPark a little bit more diverse when it comes time to buy? What areas would one recommend for a little more diversity?
I don't get these questions on a forum like this...what is wrong in trying to fit in?

Do your neighbors treat your husband different because of where he was born???

Myers Park is one of the high end area in Charlotte and I know there are also other people not born in USA who live there happy for many years.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,656,621 times
These type of posts "I want more diversity" is really interesting. (Why is race so important to people?)

1. Charlotte, and North Carolina for that matter, is not a very diverse state compared to California. Should have moved to New York. Charlotte has PF Changs, Olive Garden, and On The Border, for diversity.

2. Try buying UNDER your price range. Make the sacrifice, since this is so important, to buy in a lower income area. Myers Park and South Park are the most affluent areas of the city. Try to live in the center part of the city, or eastern parts.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:26 AM

852 posts, read 412,159 times
It becomes a challenge when someone's standards are to "high" to live in a blue collar/diverse neighborhood but too ethnic to live in a white neighborhood. A few places I moved to I had no idea there were soo many Spanish or black or white people but race wasn't a major reason I moved there. It had more to do with price or convenience or a natural setting. We have a right to live or travel anywhere in this country despite which group may try to lay claim to it.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:50 AM

310 posts, read 169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
It becomes a challenge when someone's standards are to "high" to live in a blue collar/diverse neighborhood but too ethnic to live in a white neighborhood. A few places I moved to I had no idea there were soo many Spanish or black or white people but race wasn't a major reason I moved there. It had more to do with price or convenience or a natural setting. We have a right to live or travel anywhere in this country despite which group may try to lay claim to it.
Areas that are both wealthy and racially/ethnically diverse are pretty few and far between, even in California or New York. When people have the money to live anywhere they like they most often choose to live around people culturally similar to them.

Your best bet seems to be to settle into a wealthy area since you can afford it and, as other posters have suggested, just get to know your neighbors. Even though they might all look the same, they'll surely have a wealth of different experiences and upbringings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte