U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 PM
NDL

3,184 posts, read 3,642,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisca22 View Post
One of the few reasons we enjoyed California was because people were from all over the world and my question was pertaining to that! I was just looking for a similar neighborhood in S. Charlotte. Wow.. so helpful you people are! Ugh... And of course we are all the same under our skin. I am a European American myself and accept everyone for who they are...
Spend some more time here, and your opinion will change.

There is a good measure of people from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East (notable Lebanese community in Matthews), in CLT.

Not a lot of people from Europe, but a good and healthy mix from other parts of the world

Since you mentioned S. Charlotte, the Ballantyne community has an Indian population there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM

17 posts, read 14,793 times
Well, in Myers Park that does not seem the case. That is why I was asking the question that I did. Good to know though!

Last edited by krisca22; 11-08-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 14,793 times
And thank you FeltDesigner!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,433,910 times
What kind of diversity are you looking for and what other items are you willing to sacrifice?

If you're looking for diversity of opinion, Myers Park and South Park will probably suit you fine. Skin color, look north and east of downtown.

Steele Creek is pretty decent but doesn't have the same attractions as Myers Park and South Park have.

Personally, I'd recommend staying near where you are and travel to your desired diversity. There can be a lot of tradeoffs if you are putting diversity as your number 1 criteria for a place to live. Location, traffic, lack of amenities, fewer dining options, etc.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM

391 posts, read 243,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Spend some more time here, and your opinion will change.

There is a good measure of people from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East (notable Lebanese community in Matthews), in CLT.

Not a lot of people from Europe, but a good and healthy mix from other parts of the world

Since you mentioned S. Charlotte, the Ballantyne community has an Indian population there.
Have to disagree. Practically all of my hang out buddies are from Britain, Spain, and South Africa. There are lots in the northern part of the county.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:20 PM

391 posts, read 243,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisca22 View Post
We love Myers Park and everyone seems very friendly. Not downing Myers Park at all. One of the few reasons we enjoyed California was because people were from all over the world and my question was pertaining to that! I was just looking for a similar neighborhood in S. Charlotte. Wow.. so helpful you people are! Ugh... And of course we are all the same under our skin. I am a European American myself and accept everyone for who they are...
You might need to understand that people in the city are not ethnocentric enough to notice who lives in their neighborhoods. In mine, we have many countries represented but other neighbours likely don't notice. It really doesn't mean that much to us. That is why there aren't ethnic neighbourhoods. They were originally formed for "safety in numbers" years ago but we missed the huge influx of immigrants from the countries that bombarded NYC and Philly at the end of the 19th century. People from foreign countries are around, just not clustered.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:00 PM

862 posts, read 425,695 times
As politically correct as people try to be, race is almost synonymous with culture, this may change in 100 or 200 years but today if u go to Mexico or India or China u will see 99+% are brown people speaking their native language.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM

317 posts, read 176,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
As politically correct as people try to be, race is almost synonymous with culture, this may change in 100 or 200 years but today if u go to Mexico or India or China u will see 99+% are brown people speaking their native language.
This assumption is the problem.

If someone's race is "black" you know almost nothing about them. You can look up averages for black people, income, education, IQ, criminality, etc but those vary so wildly, on an individual level, you've learned nothing.

For example, national statistics point out that people whose race is "black/Africa American" are much more likely to be felons. What good is that information? Do you assume they are one?

Furthermore, Africa is impossibly diverse. If you know nothing more than that someone traces their roots from Africa you know, at an individual level, nothing about them. What language they speak, what kind of foods they prefer, really nothing.

If you want to draw conclusions based on large samples to identify group tendencies or averages that's one thing, but to condemn or judge an individual based on their race or where they're from is a waste of time.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM

378 posts, read 226,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Furthermore, Africa is impossibly diverse. If you know nothing more than that someone traces their roots from Africa you know, at an individual level, nothing about them. What language they speak, what kind of foods they prefer, really nothing.
Yes, and not so different than broad assumptions or not entirely well-informed generalizations by a few too many individuals in other locations regarding India or China or even Mexico. For example, many a westerner simply unaware of or inexplicably opting to ignore significant differences among China's 56 ethnic groups (Han majority + 55 other groups actually referenced in China as minorities), dramatic regional differences in cuisine (none truly resembling Americanized-Chinese food), mainland China's few hundred+ distinctly different dialects, many religions practiced by roughly half of China's 1.4 b people despite many westerners' belief atheism rules, etc.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 AM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Itís good to see this place is still sensitive as hell when it comes to questions of diversity. Sheesh. Why do you guys take this as a personal attack? Seems like most folks who get angry at this question prefer to be surrounded by their own skin color. The OP asked for areas where itís more diverse. They didnít ask YOU guys to move there.

Now that I got that off my chest I think the OP should look at Plaza Midwood, Cotswold and Mora corridor which is right past Oakhurst and right before Matthews. Itís not as walkable but you will see more flavors than white folk.

Good luck

as for the rest of you sensitive folk on here, get over yourselves.
I don't really see too many "sensitive" responses IMO. OP's response of "you people don't want to understand me" is probably the most "sensitive" post in the thread.

I think the below pretty much sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
But you did not move to North Carolina for the diversity right ?

You appear to be saying these "diverse" people you were surrounded by were highly educated and high earners.....is that really diversity? I mean you seem to define diversity by skin tone on someones face. Since you have lived near people who are rich and share the same education levels, were you really experiencing this quest for diversity?

Why not try something new....

It would seem your true aim should be surrounding yourself with others of different income and education levels, not skin tone.
As mentioned in other threads, there are many different definitions of diversity. I realize that most often people are referring to racial/ethnic diversity. But OP seems to want racial diversity while still being in an upscale "city" area (in South Charlotte). Unfortunately that's not real common anywhere, including Charlotte particularly South Charlotte. Charlotte doesn't have a ton of "city" areas to begin with and the ones there are are expensive which sometimes tends to limit diversity, plus the fact that areas like Myers Park and South Park have a lot of "old money" which also tends to not be very diverse.

If "South" is not a dealbreaker, it may be worth taking a look at other neighborhoods like NoDa or Plaza Midwood (which I know goh mentioned FeltDesigner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte