U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 AM

391 posts, read 244,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Yes, and not so different than broad assumptions or not entirely well-informed generalizations by a few too many individuals in other locations regarding India or China or even Mexico. For example, many a westerner simply unaware of or inexplicably opting to ignore significant differences among China's 56 ethnic groups (Han majority + 55 other groups actually referenced in China as minorities), dramatic regional differences in cuisine (none truly resembling Americanized-Chinese food), mainland China's few hundred+ distinctly different dialects, many religions practiced by roughly half of China's 1.4 b people despite many westerners' belief atheism rules, etc.
A little advise from a former educator, shorten your sentences and get to the point. Make it easier to read by shortening the sentences. I am sure you are aware of the acronym "KISS." You have good information, but for come, it requires reading your sentences more than once. Too much info for one sentence. Best wishes and ignore this message if it is not appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM

391 posts, read 244,253 times
Fifteen percent of the people in Charlotte were born in another country. I guess the city is pretty diverse. I suppose we will never be a melting pot if we insist on being with people just like ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to be with people of western European extraction, but if our goal is to be one country and one people, we need to change. I have done my part by sharing parts of my life with women from Asia, Europe, Australia, and South America and my present wife, a North American. We should be happy that there are options, if we want options.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 AM

863 posts, read 427,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
This assumption is the problem.

If someone's race is "black" you know almost nothing about them. You can look up averages for black people, income, education, IQ, criminality, etc but those vary so wildly, on an individual level, you've learned nothing.

For example, national statistics point out that people whose race is "black/Africa American" are much more likely to be felons. What good is that information? Do you assume they are one?

Furthermore, Africa is impossibly diverse. If you know nothing more than that someone traces their roots from Africa you know, at an individual level, nothing about them. What language they speak, what kind of foods they prefer, really nothing.

If you want to draw conclusions based on large samples to identify group tendencies or averages that's one thing, but to condemn or judge an individual based on their race or where they're from is a waste of time.
Well I'm sure you still know what I mean. I purposely didn't use Africa as an example. In Charlotte black people are mostly African American.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 PM

317 posts, read 178,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Well I'm sure you still know what I mean. I purposely didn't use Africa as an example. In Charlotte black people are mostly African American.
African Americans are impossibly diverse...

Look past someone's skin color.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 PM

863 posts, read 427,475 times
Quote:
African Americans are impossibly diverse...

Look past someone's skin color.
Diverse by personality, of course, but culturally there are a ton of similarities.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM

11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't really see too many "sensitive" responses IMO. OP's response of "you people don't want to understand me" is probably the most "sensitive" post in the thread.

I think the below pretty much sums it up:

As mentioned in other threads, there are many different definitions of diversity. I realize that most often people are referring to racial/ethnic diversity. But OP seems to want racial diversity while still being in an upscale "city" area (in South Charlotte). Unfortunately that's not real common anywhere, including Charlotte particularly South Charlotte. Charlotte doesn't have a ton of "city" areas to begin with and the ones there are are expensive which sometimes tends to limit diversity, plus the fact that areas like Myers Park and South Park have a lot of "old money" which also tends to not be very diverse.

If "South" is not a dealbreaker, it may be worth taking a look at other neighborhoods like NoDa or Plaza Midwood (which I know goh mentioned FeltDesigner).
no.. I see plenty of sensitive post in this thread and I think it's because mostly everyone posting is white and getting their pants in a bunch because of the word diversity.

OP sounds like she has an SO who is a different culture than white and she wants a little flavor for her mate and herself.

just offer areas that may work and if you don't have any then don't post. All these post about what diversity is and why is it even needed? Just because you (not you personally) may not need or want diversity doesn't mean it's not important to the next person.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:05 PM

317 posts, read 178,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no.. I see plenty of sensitive post in this thread and I think it's because mostly everyone posting is white and getting their pants in a bunch because of the word diversity.
To be fair "diversity" has become a buzzword that means Anti-White. Consider that if you remove all non-white people from America, it would still be incredibly diverse...just not in the way CNN means it.

Quote:
OP sounds like she has an SO who is a different culture than white and she wants a little flavor for her mate and herself.
Ah, so white must mean "vanilla" or "lacking in flavor." I bet white people all look the same too.

Quote:
just offer areas that may work and if you don't have any then don't post. All these post about what diversity is and why is it even needed? Just because you (not you personally) may not need or want diversity doesn't mean it's not important to the next person.
The OP has been chastised because no matter where she lives she'll almost certainly be surrounded by people with diverse opinions, lifestyles, ethnic backgrounds, etc...people whose experiences you can enjoy and learn about. But that is apparently not what she wants, she's only concerned about skin color...something that is abhorrent, divisive, and increasingly concerning in society today.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:38 PM

11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Quote:
To be fair "diversity" has become a buzzword that means Anti-White. Consider that if you remove all non-white people from America, it would still be incredibly diverse...just not in the way CNN means it.

Ah, so white must mean "vanilla" or "lacking in flavor." I bet white people all look the same too.

The OP has been chastised because no matter where she lives she'll almost certainly be surrounded by people with diverse opinions, lifestyles, ethnic backgrounds, etc...people whose experiences you can enjoy and learn about. But that is apparently not what she wants, she's only concerned about skin color...something that is abhorrent, divisive, and increasingly concerning in society today.
To be fair? That isnít fair, thatís just crazy talk.

You sound sensitive. Diversity isnít anti white. Where did you get the idea wanting diversity means you donít want white people around? This is so odd. It honestly sounds like some of you arenít fans of diversity so anyone who brings it up is attacking you personally.

Why is skin color divisive? Itís just the facts of life. Some people have different skin color and you shouldnít feel inferior, superior or offended if someone wants to be around more than just one group or one culture.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,439,548 times
Quote:
To be fair? That isnít fair, thatís just crazy talk.

You sound sensitive. Diversity isnít anti white. Where did you get the idea wanting diversity means you donít want white people around? This is so odd. It honestly sounds like some of you arenít fans of diversity so anyone who brings it up is attacking you personally.

Why is skin color divisive? Itís just the facts of life. Some people have different skin color and you shouldnít feel inferior, superior or offended if someone wants to be around more than just one group or one culture.

This seems like it should be a P&OC thread, but here we are in Charlotte. Well, at least a few responses seem that way.

Felt, I know you're smarter than this. I've seen your posts for years. Maybe you haven't been paying much attention to some things, but diversity, to many, does mean anti-white. It's an ugly truth, but a truth, nonetheless.

It's mostly a political thing.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
"Anti" white might be a little dramatic, maybe just "non" white would be a better description of what many consider diversity. And that's pretty much exactly what OP requested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte