Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Its way less complicated to me then most are making it. Amazon gave a rfp for everything it wanted. But that didnt mean everything on that list held equal importance. Clearly the tech and education were being weighed as more important then transit or the airport. Transit is being worked on and RDU is a plenty serviceable airport with plans already in place to take on much more growth. So why have two finalists from the same state if one was stronger in the things or more importance to Amazon. Its not that Indianapolis or Columbus or Nashville are way better choices then Charlotte either its just that RDU would have already been the pick should they go with NC anyways.
I don’t think Raleigh making it had anything to do with Charlotte not making it, since DC, NoVa and MoCo; Newark and NYC; and Austin and Dallas all made it. But yes, it does help show that higher education in the area is likely a large part of the reason that Charlotte didn’t make it.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:16 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
"Heavily" might have been a strong word on my part. But it all trickles down into the same pot in many ways.
Heavily wasn't just a strong word, its completely wrong. Please post the percentage of the non-athletic budget at Duke and UNC-CH that is paid for by athletic department funds.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don’t think Raleigh making it had anything to do with Charlotte not making it, since DC, NoVa and MoCo; Newark and NYC; and Austin and Dallas all made it. But yes, it does help show that higher education in the area is likely a large part of the reason that Charlotte didn’t make it.
Well i guess in my mind i don't view us as Texas, DC metro (which i think is going to win), or New York metro. Im thinking of us being compared to somewhere like Ohio where if they pick Columbus they surely arent going to put Cinncinati or Cleveland on the top 20 too.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Heavily wasn't just a strong word, its completely wrong. Please post the percentage of the non-athletic budget at Duke and UNC-CH that is paid for by athletic department funds.
You do know how the old Shell game works do you? Conspiracy theory or not I do believe that there is more of a connection between academics and Athletics than advertised. You don't agree and that's fine

Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Speaking of which, this was an interesting read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/r...rld-apart.html
Hard to believe how far your money will go for a house in such an urban, diverse, vibrant neighborhood. I've had some good eats in the Ironbound and need to get back this year.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You do know how the old Shell game works do you? Conspiracy theory or not I do believe that there is more of a connection between academics and Athletics than advertised. You don't agree and that's fine
Oh, ok so you have no actual data to back up what you're talking about? Good to know!

What connection do you "believe" exists between academics and athletics. Its very hard to actually determine what you're talking about.

The president of the U. of Alabama credits the high profile of the University's football team with increasing out of state enrollment and raising incoming students academic profiles. I'm not sure if thats what you're talking about or not.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Oh, ok so you have no actual data to back up what you're talking about? Good to know!

What connection do you "believe" exists between academics and athletics. Its very hard to actually determine what you're talking about.

The president of the U. of Alabama credits the high profile of the University's football team with increasing out of state enrollment and raising incoming students academic profiles. I'm not sure if thats what you're talking about or not.
Often times it also leads to higher tuitions. Honestly, it's a very interesting topic that I just got into about a year ago. My research was prompted by what I've noticed at NC Central since they moved up to Division 1 in the NCAA. It's not really a topic for this thread, but it is interesting. I honestly don't believe that the lies end at student athletes' test scores. I believe that the book keeping of these colleges aren't being honest with the public either.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Often times it also leads to higher tuitions. Honestly, it's a very interesting topic that I just got into about a year ago. My research was prompted by what I've noticed at NC Central since they moved up to Division 1 in the NCAA. It's not really a topic for this thread, but it is interesting. I honestly don't believe that the lies end at student athletes' test scores. I believe that the book keeping of these colleges aren't being honest with the public either.
What is "it"? And again, data or proof? One reason Alabama likes getting more out of state students is that the out of staters pay more and thus help subsidize the in state students.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,108 times
Assets attained through sporting events cannot be spent outside of athletic budgets. There are certainly reputation gains enjoyed through the success of major sports, but it's incorrect to say that schools like UNC or Duke fund non-athletic activity through their sports programs. The revenue generating sports fund facilities improvement and support the other sports on campus. Most high profile Div1 programs seek to operate at an even revenue/expense level - which explains the arms race of facility improvements and coaching salaries.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
What is "it"? And again, data or proof? One reason Alabama likes getting more out of state students is that the out of staters pay more and thus help subsidize the in state students.
I'm curious is there a third-rate university like UNC Charlotte that has a stellar Athletics program like Duke and Chapel Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte