Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
But what makes Haddonfield any different than Davidson, the Birkdales, etc? I think people over romanticize the notion of historic or urban as "better". You can walk, shop, eat, etc in a lot of places, and most cities/metros have small towns or life style centers tailored to that purpose.

It's a different style, architecture and scale as I stated earlier. The architecture, culture, style, etc in the south is simply different. And many people would never leave Philly because they prefer that culture, style, etc as do many southerners prefer theirs. It doesn't make either place one iota better or superior. I know there's a contingent of people, especially from those places, who are affixed to this mentality - a superiority complex.

Charlotte probably won't get Amazon but not because it lacks culture or identity. This will be a business decision and why I believe it will be a major metropolitan with a solid infrastructure offering over-the-top incentives.
Architecture isn't that different. It's like the time I walked into the Kings Mountain library & saw a framed picture leaning against a shelf. I asked one of the librarians if someone gave them a picture of the back of Independence Hall. She told me that someone brought it in to see if anyone knew if it was a real place, & someone said that it was a building on the Duke campus. I got on a computer & pulled up a photograph that matched the picture. She called the man over & told him to look at what I had pulled up.

There's a reason that the MidAtlantic is separated. It's neither north nor south it's a combination of both & it's not static.

If you have to ask the difference with Haddonfield, or a number of other historic suburbs in that area, I doubt that you've been there. Mutiny made a valid point.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:17 PM

386 posts, read 365,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
No one's won or lost yet, but Business Insider is reporting that Amazon registered a lobbyist in Georgia, implying Atlanta may very well be Bezos' pick. Think the announcement will come very early next year.
Could be, but AMZN's also very likely to have hired guns or sub-contracted lobbying representatives in many states it operates.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:13 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Charlotte has a lot of good, but now's the time for the City to truly set itself apart. I truly hope that the upcoming River District fully incorporates the Catawba River into it's final design (in a meaningful way - not a token gesture), along with pedestrian friendly elements along with a fully functioning light rail.
I really hope the Catawba River is not just another Big Box Shopping Center like everywhere else in Charlotte, it seems to be the only thing Charlotte knows how to build. I'm not knocking Big Box Stores, I shop at them. I don't thing a city should only have these stores over and over again on every corner like Charlotte does.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
And so does Charlotte, it's just on a different scale and style there. But when you stated historic suburbs I started thinking, huh?....Camden (home of my ex..and boy it's "historic" amongst a lot things)? Philly is a very large and urban city but most of the burbs are just burbs...King of Prussia, etc. And more people live in the burbs than the "city" like most metros.
Ever heard of the Main Line suburbs for starters? And if you're talking about historic, desirable 'burbs on the Jersey side, Collingswood would come to mind before Camden.

I get it, you don't care for historic, urban cities and much prefer autocentric suburbia. But this equivocation you're making is just a bit silly.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I really hope the Catawba River is not just another Big Box Shopping Center like everywhere else in Charlotte, it seems to be the only thing Charlotte knows how to build. I'm not knocking Big Box Stores, I shop at them. I don't thing a city should only have these stores over and over again on every corner like Charlotte does.
hmm.. but then if they didn't have big boxes all over people would complain about the lack of them or having to drive real far to get to them.

I think regardless of the big box there can and should be smaller stores and mom and pops that can be sprinkled around them to offer some balance.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
The market will determine what is viable. People bemoaning the sale of Park Road Shopping center's movie theater must not have attended enough movies there. Mom and Pop shops are great, but they aren't decoration. If you prefer local, small retailers, buy from them to support their survival.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 AM

571 posts, read 714,774 times
If people willing to bet money on this decision is a good predictor, then Charlotte has no chance. Here are 23 cities people are betting on for the headquarters and Charlotte isn't among them. No great odds for any of these cities, so it's really a toss-up, but the best odds are for Atlanta and Austin.

Amazon Betting

Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ever heard of the Main Line suburbs for starters? And if you're talking about historic, desirable 'burbs on the Jersey side, Collingswood would come to mind before Camden.

I get it, you don't care for historic, urban cities and much prefer autocentric suburbia. But this equivocation you're making is just a bit silly.
Huh? You still need a car in most parts of Philly, especially in the burbs. Ya'll act as though living out in these quaint "urban" outpost in the close-in burbs are functional without a car.

I never stated anything about a distaste for urban or historic because I have lived in both environs...it's grossly overrated.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Huh? You still need a car in most parts of Philly, especially in the burbs. Ya'll act as though living out in these quaint "urban" outpost in the close-in burbs are functional without a car.

I never stated anything about a distaste for urban or historic because I have lived in both environs...it's grossly overrated.
Actually, need for a car in that area depends on location of home vs work and if the work schedule is traditional or non traditional. I lived in Cherry Hill & could get to most places that I wanted or needed to get to between walking, the bus or the PATCO train. I stated the town because it's not considered to be walkable, being built up mostly one farm sale at a time, post WWII.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:54 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, need for a car in that area depends on location of home vs work and if the work schedule is traditional or non traditional. I lived in Cherry Hill & could get to most places that I wanted or needed to get to between walking, the bus or the PATCO train. I stated the town because it's not considered to be walkable, being built up mostly one farm sale at a time, post WWII.
I get it but we live in a car-centric society now. It is a very rare location, even in major urban cities, that the convenience of a car isn't needed although the neighborhood may be walkable to do a variety of activities. And applies to certain sections of Charlotte if you are willing to cough up the cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte