U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 AM

718 posts, read 725,261 times

Advertisements

So we lived in Charlotte for 6 years through the boom (and decline) and left in 2012. Have been moving around a bit but are considering a move back in another year or so. We have tried to keep tabs on local things and the economy. Watching the housing market and just trying to get a feel of how people in the area thing everything is going? Seems vague I know, but do you feel that the jobs are slowing or growing? To me it seems like the overall housing market has slowed except hot properties. Is there still a large influx of transplants moving in? has anyone read any ratio reports to move in/move out residents? How about general change, safe areas declining or sketchy areas being transitioning? any thoughts to share I would live to hear them and any concerns you have about the future of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,387,340 times
In 2016, Charlotte had the 21st largest gross metropolitan product (GMP) in the U.S.A. Charlotte's 2016 GMP was $157.9 Billion.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg..._metro0917.pdf

Charlotte's 2016 GMP was larger than the GMPs of peer cities, including: (1) St. Louis, $156.4 B, (2) Pittsburgh, $142.1 B, (3) Tampa-St. Petersburg, $140.2 B, (4) Indianapolis, $135.5 B, (5) Orlando, $129.4 B, (6) Cleveland, $129.3 B, (7) Cincinnati, $128.8 B, (8) Kansas City, $128.1 B, (9) Columbus, $126.5 B, (10) Austin, $125.3 B, (11) Sacramento, $123.2 B, (12) Nashville, $114.6 B, (13) San Antonio, $112.7 B, (14) Las Vegas, $104.8 B, (15) Milwaukee, $101.8 B, (16) Virginia Beach-Norfolk, $ 94.9 B, (17) Hartford, $89.7 B, (18) New Orleans, $81.8 B, (19) Salt Lake City, $81.5 B, (20) Providence, $80.9 B, (21) Raleigh, $79.7 B, (22) Richmond, $76.1 B, (23) Oklahoma City, $73.8 B, (24) Memphis, $73.1 B, and (25) Louisville, $72 B.

Despite all the eeyoring that goes on at city data, and acknowledging that there is always room for improvement, we are prospering.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 AM

https://smartasset.com/checking-acco...rowing-incomes

5. Charlotte, North Carolina
Charlotte is home to the third-largest financial sector in the country. Bank of America, the second-largest financial institution in the U.S., is based in Charlotte. The Queen City is also the eastern headquarter for Wells Fargo and employs over 22,000 people in the city.
Working in finance tends to pay well but just about everyone across Charlotte seems to be doing better. The average Charlotte household saw incomes rise from $54,000 to $61,000.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 AM

https://urbanland.uli.org/economy-ma...sing-altitude/

Charlotte is #12 on a list of the top markets for investment and development in the country.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 AM

718 posts, read 725,261 times
How about personal opinions about the area? Stats are nice too, but sometimes we glamorize things with them
Ill give an example....

I live in Tampa Currently, People always say things like... " I wish i could live there, how beautiful"
I could respond with things like, "yes it is. Or oh the weather is awesome and there's a million things to do here...." "sunny every day and palm trees and beaches oohhh ahhhh"

But in reality, None of that means anything to me if I cant share it with people that I love and care about. This is why we are considering a move back to Charlotte. No it isnt perfect,, but we liked it and more importantly, we enjoyed doing things with people we enjoyed being around. I will gladly take a like less than ideal winter or other negatives if it means spending time with friends and neighbors again.

This is why I was curious if the state of Charlotte was still enticing to newcomers or if people feel Charlotte is now just looked at as a banking town and another little hole on the map of the SE.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,206,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
How about personal opinions about the area? Stats are nice too, but sometimes we glamorize things with them
Ill give an example....

I live in Tampa Currently, People always say things like... " I wish i could live there, how beautiful"
I could respond with things like, "yes it is. Or oh the weather is awesome and there's a million things to do here...." "sunny every day and palm trees and beaches oohhh ahhhh"

But in reality, None of that means anything to me if I cant share it with people that I love and care about. This is why we are considering a move back to Charlotte. No it isnt perfect,, but we liked it and more importantly, we enjoyed doing things with people we enjoyed being around. I will gladly take a like less than ideal winter or other negatives if it means spending time with friends and neighbors again.

This is why I was curious if the state of Charlotte was still enticing to newcomers or if people feel Charlotte is now just looked at as a banking town and another little hole on the map of the SE.
We left the area in 2010 and ended up back in 2012 (we kept our house when we left though we rented it). I'm enjoying living here with our kids. We also have family close as in the same neighborhood and we hang out with our neighbors quite a bit. We also help each other out in terms of pet sitting or however else the other needs it.

I was laid off in early September and I had that job for 14 years. I worked from home because my boss was based in another area. I was able to find a new job within 2 months (the corporate world moves so slow in terms of interviews and making decisions)

I actually interviewed for a position October 9th and the recruiter for the company emailed me Friday with an update (which was we're still deciding).

I interviewed with my new company last Monday and left the interview at 12:30. I had an offer by 2:30.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Ill give an example....

Hmmm. Do you have family in the area already? Are you still in touch with many of your friends? I agree 100% that the people and network you are surrounded by can make or break your enjoyment of a location. It's hard to answer your question.

Every neighborhood is different, and even some streets within certain neighborhoods can be more or less favorable to socializing. It's difficult to predict whether you will have friends in Charlotte and whether you will perceive Charlotte as a 'banking town' or 'another little hole on the map'. Are you just asking for general anecdotes about whether or not people like their neighbors?

The statistics I shared are a great indicator of our growth and opportunity, but they in no way guarantee that you will enjoy it here. However, the bottom line is that the city is forecasted to continue to grow, for many good reasons. Charlotte's got a lot.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 AM

1,456 posts, read 999,938 times
South End and Uptown have changed dramatically since 2012. There are new luxury apartment buildings spring up and a lot more restaurants to chose from in the city. Cocktail lounges, rooftop bars, new restaurant patios, etc... are springing up around town. With the growth comes growing pains - traffic is worse than in 2012 and the sprawl in the metro continues in the South and North side of town. Romare Bearden Park is now complete in Uptown and become a gathering place for the city in Uptown. Lots of events are now around the park rather than just closing Tryon Street. The Charlotte Knights moved Uptown as well so you have three sports teams in walking distance of the light rail. The light rail is also opening to University City in 2018. You will find apartment buildings going up almost everywhere as rising land prices makes multi-family the most economical way for investors to get an ROI on the land purchase.

East Charlotte remains relatively stagnant (though Independence has been somewhat improved and some eye-sores torn down) and West Charlotte is still largely the same within 485. Outside of 485 there is now an Outlet Mall, the future River District will be built, and Gaston County's Belmont has become rather popular as a commuter suburb. Steele Creek has become a huge population center as well as Fort Mill's growth, which is seeing wooded lot after wooded lot become a new subdivision. Fort Mill is adding a 3rd high school to handle the growth.

Up North, growth has slowed a little along I-77 due to the toll lane construction, but Concord is booming with new construction. University City continues to become a popular office location, with over 2,000 jobs soon coming with Allstate. On the South side of the metro, the sprawl continues with new subdivisions out into Union County. The jobs largely remain in Mecklenburg County though and many of these residents are doing long commutes into Uptown. Ballantyne has grown as a job center and is the more reasonable commute from Union County.

Homicides are up this year, but the homicide rate per person this year looks like it will be lower than when you lived here in 2006 - 2008. It will be higher than 2009 - 2012 when the homicide rate dropped dramatically.

The sub-$400k housing market is red hot and houses typically don't sit long. The median housing price continues to climb and the housing market is ranked as one of the hottest in the country.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,206,391 times
I should also add that I am now commuting into uptown from around the Highland Creek area and it takes me 45 minutes door to desk to get into work. I put my kids on the bus and go. It might be to long for some, but for me it doesn't bother me. I haven't had a commute in 11 years and when I did it was 15 minutes in the DC area. The afternoons it's about 40 minutes but traffic moves.

The housing market around me was red hot this year. Homes were moving and they were selling fairly fast. We refinanced our home and it appraised for 100K more than it did two years ago.

The home construction down Cox Mill road is crazy. They are putting in one neighborhood of SFH's. They are also putting in a development of TH. They are trying to develop the land right outside Christenbury. They are also putting in a neighborhood across from the new Odell elementary. The neighborhood will be on 73 just past Odell School.

Last edited by Riley09swb; 11-08-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 AM

659 posts, read 519,006 times
We moved to Charlotte from the NE in about 2012. Our observations on the changes since then aren't much and are limited to our experiences on the South Side.. Traffic is getting steadily worse. Union County and Ballantyne areas seem to be growing and growing with new housing developments/apartments popping up monthly. Indian Land is also having increased development. Providence Road has getting a lot of new development around the Ardrey Kell intersection (Waverly/Rea Farms) and traffic in the area is getting pretty bad. Matthews is trying to get trendier, with Food Truck Friday's and a few trendy bars in the downtown area. In general, the Food Truck scene and Microbrewery scene is growing. They're trying to make uptown trendier but it still seems pretty dead at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or