U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:25 PM

24 posts, read 32,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
Do u live right in Charlotte? We are relocating next year from central ny. Mint hill or matthews area. We were also looking for low traffic. I hear all areas are bad during rush hour, but also hear there are alternative routes.
Yes,we live in Charlotte and traffic exists during rush hour but off course not as bad as NY city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Many people move to Charlotte looking for what Charlotte can offer them, rather than what they can offer to Charlotte. We live in a consumer culture in the USA, and when people look at a place to live, they think of all the things it can offer them. I believe true community, deeper and move meaningful friendships, and a true connection to Charlotte occurs when newcomers change their thinking from "what can I get out of this place" to "what can I offer this place and its community."

Many newcomers embrace the "what can I offer" mentality and they get to know their neighbors, volunteer in the community, get involved in the school system, local sports, churches, non-profits, government, charities, social groups, etc.... They start new businesses where they see a void, they start charities, enrich the community, support the sports teams, and build off the culture of the area. They see their isn't currently a Polish restaurant in the area, and they open one to enrich our community.

Then there are other newcomers who move and want Charlotte to offer them their hopes and dreams financially. They want the biggest and newest house away from crime with excellent schools and the promise their children will have everything they need for financial success. In this instance, the city will let them down. No place is perfect and when you put so much stock in "I'm gonna get what I want", and it doesn't happen, then you get let down. Meaningful relationships often don't develop because the pursuit of financial success and getting what you want trumps all other. Often they mention "people are rude because they don't seek me out to be a friend" compared to the thought of "what have I done to show I care, what have I offered to others, and how have I gone out of my way to show I understand the sacrifice and love of friendship and community."
Great point.So true.
We are very much involved in local community and charities.
Sorry,I missed to mention this important point and helped us to make such nice friends.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just an FYI, if you're looking at school districts in the future, look for blue ribbon schools.
Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
People have been moving to Charlotte in droves for decades. I don't think any area can be "ready" for that kind of influx, but all in all I think Charlotte has done OK.

One comment that stood out to me was that you said you visited almost all places in Charlotte, but then went on to say that you only have limited knowledge of Concord, Steele Creek, Matthews. Steele Creek and Matthews are only like 15 minutes from Ballantyne so it doesn't really sound like you did a whole lot of visiting.

Some of your criticisms are fair, but I find it interesting that among your complaints are traffic and housing costs, yet have lived in Chicago and NY/NJ which are much worse in both of those aspects.

Where do you plan to go next? If "one of the cities" in GA you considered was Atlanta, good luck with their traffic.

Did you consider the Triangle just a couple hours up I-85 the first time around? If the IT job market is important I'd think that would have been a strong contender and I know is often mentioned on these forums when IT jobs are brought up.
😗 We have not decided for next move. For now,this is our home.
Off course, traffic cannot be compared with other worse places but I am hopeful city may plan well to improve current situation.
Thanks

Old 11-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I taught the NC math curriculum, 8th grade, which transitions to algebra and may well be the toughest course of any, K-12.

We had a fairly fluid student body, lots of military moves.

I never had an 8th grader come in from NY, NJ, or CA that was not WOEFULLY BEHIND our math. Never. I had one child from DC suburbs, whose mom told me how she had been in advanced math, who struggled to keep up the remainder of the year.

In fact, I only had one kid transfer in who was measurably ahead of us. He was from Northern Virginia as well, and showed up his first day of school with a Harvard tee shirt. I should have figured all that out. After a week or two, I was able, by breaking all rules, to get him transferred into algebra, mid term.

This information relates to the curriculum, not the school or me. The same curriculum taught in CMS.
Your statement is eye opener and so comforting to us.we hope CMS schools around ballantyne are at par with areas mentioned earlier when our kids goes to middle/high school in case we don't move.
Thanks

Old 11-24-2017, 08:26 AM

391 posts, read 243,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I taught the NC math curriculum, 8th grade, which transitions to algebra and may well be the toughest course of any, K-12.

We had a fairly fluid student body, lots of military moves.

I never had an 8th grader come in from NY, NJ, or CA that was not WOEFULLY BEHIND our math. Never. I had one child from DC suburbs, whose mom told me how she had been in advanced math, who struggled to keep up the remainder of the year.

In fact, I only had one kid transfer in who was measurably ahead of us. He was from Northern Virginia as well, and showed up his first day of school with a Harvard tee shirt. I should have figured all that out. After a week or two, I was able, by breaking all rules, to get him transferred into algebra, mid term.

This information relates to the curriculum, not the school or me. The same curriculum taught in CMS.
This was my experience as well. I guess that in some places, advanced means "going to class." And as soon as I had a parent telling me that their child was "advanced" or "liked to draw," I knew he/she was going to be a pain.

Veekay, do your own research. There are some people that have moved south that haven't forgotten the civil war. Stereotypes are alive and well. You will find what you want there, just investigate. Ignore biases from the disgruntled. Some people aren't meant to leave mum.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:46 AM

110 posts, read 104,569 times
This is a very fair assessment. We moved here when our kids were little and now that they are teens we are all itching to get out of here. There really is not much to do but leave and most people do on weekends and any chance we have a holiday or break. Definitely do your research and visit OFTEN before taking the plunge.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:30 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,926,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
This is a very fair assessment. We moved here when our kids were little and now that they are teens we are all itching to get out of here. There really is not much to do but leave and most people do on weekends and any chance we have a holiday or break. Definitely do your research and visit OFTEN before taking the plunge.
^THIS.....Definitely not much to do. AGREED. Visit often as you can.....The "shinyness" wears off after a year.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:00 AM

391 posts, read 243,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
Just the facts, maam. Pretty general statement without any supportive information.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Many people move to Charlotte looking for what Charlotte can offer them, rather than what they can offer to Charlotte. We live in a consumer culture in the USA, and when people look at a place to live, they think of all the things it can offer them. I believe true community, deeper and move meaningful friendships, and a true connection to Charlotte occurs when newcomers change their thinking from "what can I get out of this place" to "what can I offer this place and its community."

Many newcomers embrace the "what can I offer" mentality and they get to know their neighbors, volunteer in the community, get involved in the school system, local sports, churches, non-profits, government, charities, social groups, etc.... They start new businesses where they see a void, they start charities, enrich the community, support the sports teams, and build off the culture of the area. They see their isn't currently a Polish restaurant in the area, and they open one to enrich our community.

Then there are other newcomers who move and want Charlotte to offer them their hopes and dreams financially. They want the biggest and newest house away from crime with excellent schools and the promise their children will have everything they need for financial success. In this instance, the city will let them down. No place is perfect and when you put so much stock in "I'm gonna get what I want", and it doesn't happen, then you get let down. Meaningful relationships often don't develop because the pursuit of financial success and getting what you want trumps all other. Often they mention "people are rude because they don't seek me out to be a friend" compared to the thought of "what have I done to show I care, what have I offered to others, and how have I gone out of my way to show I understand the sacrifice and love of friendship and community."
I totally agree with your statement. I will be moving to Charlotte next month from Milwaukee, WI. This has been a long time coming. I have done my own research and made multiple visits. I plan to make this move one of my best moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or