U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 AM

754 posts, read 867,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

I never had an 8th grader come in from NY, NJ, or CA that was not WOEFULLY BEHIND our math. Never. I had one child from DC suburbs, whose mom told me how she had been in advanced math, who struggled to keep up the remainder of the
Really? I was edugated in the Kalifnia stool system...I mean, whthe r u trying to say. I did learn to express my feelings though...hahaha
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 04:54 PM

476 posts, read 296,397 times
I have to say this thread amused me a little. My husband and I are moving south as soon as my youngest son graduates high school in 5 years. We live in northern VT (20 minutes south of the Canadian border) and our largest city is 46K people and we have to drive almost 2 hours on town roads as no interstate goes from here to there.

I'm reading people say that Charlotte is boring and there's nothing to do. Charlotte has over 2 million people. How in the world can someone say a city that size has nothing to do? Our largest city with 46K people is our go to if we want to eat at a place that isn't McDonalds or a couple of diners.

What is it, exactly, that people need to do to keep busy 24 hours a day? Don't you people relax with family and just hang out having a bbque or watch your kids play ball? Even though we live in a county that only has 27K people, we are very busy between our kids' sports (spent the weekend watching my son play in an AAU Basketball Tournament), work, visiting friends and family, etc. We LOVE having a day of down time to watch a movie or just sit on our porch swing and little to the frogs and crickets. Winter is a bit tough for me because I hate the cold (and that is a major reason for moving south) but people do find things to do in the snow.

Even though I've traveled and have seen all but 4 states in the USA, I'm sure that I'm not half as well schooled in the world as those that travel a lot. However, I don't understand why people just can't slow down and really enjoy life without the go go go that some people do. That's exhausting to me. I'm not judging those people, I just don't get it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:59 PM

537 posts, read 552,142 times
I don’t get it either.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:59 PM

476 posts, read 296,397 times
[quote=Big Aristotle;50284113
Not all areas are for everyone and insinuating that museums, arts or so-called "culture" elevate the status of city/metro are ridiculous. I'm not slamming those offerings but to most people they could really give a damn about it. It mostly exists on a certain scale everywhere but having tons of it isn't necessary. .[/QUOTE]

I love this because I feel the same way. One day trip to our largest city of 46K is enough to send me back to the peace and quiet. IDK, maybe we are just simple people to please but one night in an art gallery is like pulling teeth compared to a peaceful night having a bbq with friends and family. Just different strokes I guess.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM

11,743 posts, read 9,375,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I have to say this thread amused me a little. My husband and I are moving south as soon as my youngest son graduates high school in 5 years. We live in northern VT (20 minutes south of the Canadian border) and our largest city is 46K people and we have to drive almost 2 hours on town roads as no interstate goes from here to there.

I'm reading people say that Charlotte is boring and there's nothing to do. Charlotte has over 2 million people. How in the world can someone say a city that size has nothing to do? Our largest city with 46K people is our go to if we want to eat at a place that isn't McDonalds or a couple of diners.

What is it, exactly, that people need to do to keep busy 24 hours a day? Don't you people relax with family and just hang out having a bbque or watch your kids play ball? Even though we live in a county that only has 27K people, we are very busy between our kids' sports (spent the weekend watching my son play in an AAU Basketball Tournament), work, visiting friends and family, etc. We LOVE having a day of down time to watch a movie or just sit on our porch swing and little to the frogs and crickets. Winter is a bit tough for me because I hate the cold (and that is a major reason for moving south) but people do find things to do in the snow.

Even though I've traveled and have seen all but 4 states in the USA, I'm sure that I'm not half as well schooled in the world as those that travel a lot. However, I don't understand why people just can't slow down and really enjoy life without the go go go that some people do. That's exhausting to me. I'm not judging those people, I just don't get it.
it's because Charlotte is a transplant city and people usually move here from a larger city where they had friends and hot spots... or they compare Charlotte's boring nights to their "best nights ever" when they lived in another city.

Charlotte has a lot to do if you want to do it... or you can stay close to home and chill.

You really have to dig for it though if you are new to the area because it's not like strangers are going to call you up and tell you about whats going on in the city.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 2,250,269 times
The Raleigh, Durham “Triangle” area has none of the “big city” aspirations or urban visuals that are so important to Charlotte.

Wake Public Schools, Chapel Hill & some in Durham are consistent enough to not require much vetting, however will still trail schools up North.

The Triangle has less crime and only a couple of very contained “bad areas”, while Charlotte has contained “good areas” among many bad areas with high crime., like here in Atlanta.

Sometimes I feel that the underlying discontent is more about the clashing of cultures. People from the West Coast and Northeast simply have different likes & interests than Southerners.

I suspect that Charlotte natives, especially the wealthier eschelons, live completely walled-off from the Charlotte accessible to newcomers.

Raleigh and NC natives in general are known to move in closed circles, experiencing a very different NC from transplants.

Overall, the Raleigh area seems to show about 95% of newcomers happy & grateful that they moved.

Compared to about 70% satisfied with Charlotte. So I think that either gorgeous skyline is creating unrealistic expectations or the location that’s kinda the entrance into the deep South
Is the reason fir discontent.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:52 PM

537 posts, read 552,142 times
I love how people throw imagined numbers around as fact on this forum.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:09 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Overall, the Raleigh area seems to show about 95% of newcomers happy & grateful that they moved.

Compared to about 70% satisfied with Charlotte.
Please provide a source for this "data".

Old 03-28-2018, 03:23 PM

666 posts, read 578,891 times
I guess natives have access to the blue pill that shields them from the matrix/truth about Charlotte lol

Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 PM

3,796 posts, read 3,302,524 times
95% of statistics are made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or