U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:07 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The Raleigh, Durham “Triangle” area has none of the “big city” aspirations or urban visuals that are so important to Charlotte.
That's because the industries that drive the economy in the Triangle--state government, tech, meds & eds--have a larger public sector component to them and they don't result in lots of office towers and other types of large privately-financed developments that typically go to downtown. By contrast, much of Charlotte's growth historically has been intricately tied to ambitious entrepreneurs and businessmen in industries that were more downtown-oriented. More specifically, Hugh McColl wanted to actively shape the image of Charlotte into a more cosmopolitan, bustling city that was befitting the headquarters of one of the country's largest banks. That naturally set off an arms race of sorts with Ed Crutchfield, who was then CEO of First Union (which became Wachovia), and we can see the results of that today with Charlotte's skyline. Banking is an industry that likes to convey power and strength and what better way to do that than with gleaming skyscrapers?

Quote:
The Triangle has less crime and only a couple of very contained “bad areas”, while Charlotte has contained “good areas” among many bad areas with high crime., like here in Atlanta.
That's a huge exaggeration. Charlotte's "bad areas" would be laughed at in several cities across the country while Atlanta's hoods are obviously hoods (and you can see how they compare Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok). Charlotte doesn't have many truly bad areas; it has more so-so ones and with its expansive city limits, it has several decent/good areas.

Quote:
Overall, the Raleigh area seems to show about 95% of newcomers happy & grateful that they moved.

Compared to about 70% satisfied with Charlotte. So I think that either gorgeous skyline is creating unrealistic expectations or the location that’s kinda the entrance into the deep South
Is the reason fir discontent.
I echo BC1960: let's see the stats on this 95%/70% thing. Even if those figures were remotely valid, I don't know of anyone who moves to a city because it has a pretty skyline. And I don't know what's up with you and this "deep South" thing, as if York and Lancaster counties are a world apart from Charlotte or that part of NC in general. I bet you couldn't find one transplant who would stand on the state line at Carowinds and point the NC side and call it the South" but the SC side the "deep South" LOL. And given the fact that York County is the fastest-growing county in metro Charlotte and how many Northerners are absolutely smitten with Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, etc., I fail to see how this "entrance into the deep South" is huge drawback you're making it out to be.

You should really cease and desist with this foolishness.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 03:13 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,247,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Please provide a source for this "data".
Sorry, I left out "on this forum".

That is my honest estimate after 11 years of reading this forum.

The Triangle forum has more posts....

And far fewer "regret threads"...

And of those threads most comments claim how happy they are after relocating to the Raleigh area.

Maybe it can be attributed to the area's understated-ness, prioritizing quality over quantity .

So I suggest looking at both areas on here, searching for threads containing "regret" as a start...

Read a few threads from each, and it will be clear.

Even Californians love the Triangle..

They rank 5th in sending the most new residents to Wake County.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,010,621 times
Quote:
Sorry, I left out "on this forum".

That is my honest estimate after 11 years of reading this forum.

Drawing conclusions from CityData posts is not worth too much IMO. For example, Raleigh is much more active on this site, but Charlotte is much more active on another site. North Carolina has more posts than the ENTIRE state of California on CityData. You could draw multiple conclusions from that....

Person A could be like "North Carolina is more popular, hence they have more posts."

Person B could be like "North Carolina must be bored and have lots of people that sit online all day with nothing to do, while Californians are out hiking, heading to the beach, and enjoying life in nice weather."

It really depends on how you spin it.

Most of the forums have 5% of the posters generating 90% of the posts, so you are really only talking a handful of people. If you get 5 extremely negative posters on a forum, it can completely make the overall forum negative. That's really all it takes, because often only a couple of people are posting regularly. Definitely not a representative sample as forum participation is relatively low in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,247,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because the industries that drive the economy in the Triangle--state government, tech, meds & eds--have a larger public sector component to them and they don't result in lots of office towers and other types of large privately-financed developments that typically go to downtown. By contrast, much of Charlotte's growth historically has been intricately tied to ambitious entrepreneurs and businessmen in industries that were more downtown-oriented. More specifically, Hugh McColl wanted to actively shape the image of Charlotte into a more cosmopolitan, bustling city that was befitting the headquarters of one of the country's largest banks. That naturally set off an arms race of sorts with Ed Crutchfield, who was then CEO of First Union (which became Wachovia), and we can see the results of that today with Charlotte's skyline. Banking is an industry that likes to convey power and strength and what better way to do that than with gleaming skyscrapers?

That's a huge exaggeration. Charlotte's "bad areas" would be laughed at in several cities across the country while Atlanta's hoods are obviously hoods (and you can see how they compare Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok). Charlotte doesn't have many truly bad areas; it has more so-so ones and with its expansive city limits, it has several decent/good areas.

I echo BC1960: let's see the stats on this 95%/70% thing. Even if those figures were remotely valid, I don't know of anyone who moves to a city because it has a pretty skyline. And I don't know what's up with you and this "deep South" thing, as if York and Lancaster counties are a world apart from Charlotte or that part of NC in general. I bet you couldn't find one transplant who would stand on the state line at Carowinds and point the NC side and call it the South" but the SC side the "deep South" LOL. And given the fact that York County is the fastest-growing county in metro Charlotte and how many Northerners are absolutely smitten with Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, etc., I fail to see how this "entrance into the deep South" is huge drawback you're making it out to be.

You should really cease and desist with this foolishness.
Once again, Charlotte can only see the world from it's own vantage point, and that's what I attribute to it missing the mark repeatedly in it's Walmart-esque depiction of hipsters in H2Q video appeal...

and also with a new video promoting Charlotte I just saw that looks hazy or smoky throughout, and focuses a lot on dining & nightlife with almost every person being of color and very few caucasions & of those the girl is pale, shy-looking and not stylish at all. That video is awful. I think it was from the "got a lot" bureau, but I thought I read that "got a lot" was being replaced with new slogan?branding.

or hell-bent desire for urban, tall, big-city environment right as all cities are trying to create the exact opposite environment of touching nature, local, farming community intereaction...

Everyone up and down the East Coast (doesn't see SC from Charlotte's perspective) & they see a noticeable change on I-85 and I-95 at the South Carolina line into the slower, I don't care, about high quality or aesthetics, mantra that been mutually shared by the Southern-most group of states...

Which very much includes Georgia. It's the Achilles heal that Georgia can't shake-off to rise up to the top-tier, higher standards of NC, FL & NY. They don't have any precedent in their history to even know how to run Georgia any better than the dismal performance currently ongoing. SC instantly looks more low-brow than any state North of it on those two interstates, I don't care what anybody says.

My posts always offer a unique perspective from someone who has lived all over this country in the biggest world cities, yet grew up in Louisburg in rural Franklin County.

And the Triangle posters on here don't get incensed in the face of criticisms like Charlotte folks do.

At least half of Charlotte (W,NW, N NE except for UNCC area) is immediately excluded from any search for a good area.

Raleigh has a small area in SE quadrant to avoid, and even that is quickly being invaded with $500K new homes.

Capital Blvd corridor is becoming very bad, and I was including Northeast Durham in my original claim of a couple of contained bad areas.

All of Chapel Hill, South & SW Durham, all of Cary and the rest of Wake County is safe.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM

537 posts, read 551,687 times
It’s funny how some people think they are the only one that has been to or lived in another city or state. Wow. Educate us about the world while we site in wide eyed wonder.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Once again, Charlotte can only see the world from it's own vantage point, and that's what I attribute to it missing the mark repeatedly in it's Walmart-esque depiction of hipsters in H2Q video appeal...

and also with a new video promoting Charlotte I just saw that looks hazy or smoky throughout, and focuses a lot on dining & nightlife with almost every person being of color and very few caucasions & of those the girl is pale, shy-looking and not stylish at all. That video is awful. I think it was from the "got a lot" bureau, but I thought I read that "got a lot" was being replaced with new slogan?branding.

or hell-bent desire for urban, tall, big-city environment right as all cities are trying to create the exact opposite environment of touching nature, local, farming community intereaction...
I honestly have not a clue what you're rambling about here. You actually speak as if cities are deliberately tearing down highrises and letting the land return to nature. This "exact opposite environment" you speak of sounds a lot like those urban prairies in cities like Detroit and Youngstown where dense shrubbery and even some trees have populated city blocks where homes once stood. Cities may be more interested in things like green roofs and urban gardens today, but to act as though cities aren't still the concrete urban jungles they have always been is...weird.

Quote:
Everyone up and down the East Coast (doesn't see SC from Charlotte's perspective) & they see a noticeable change on I-85 and I-95 at the South Carolina line into the slower, I don't care, about high quality or aesthetics, mantra that been mutually shared by the Southern-most group of states...
You have a point with road quality, which is (finally) being addressed in SC including along I-85 but once again, you magnify other trivial differences and attempt to force your rather narrow perspective on others. There's not much of a difference between pace and aesthetics traversing along I-95 from one state into the other at all but your anti-SC bias won't allow you to see that. And it's interesting that you say that Charlotte's location as the "gateway to the deep South" (or whatever you said) is potentially off-putting to new residents and you conveniently forget to mention the interstate that directly connects Charlotte and SC: I-77. You know it doesn't fit your agenda--it actually got widened and resurfaced a few years before the same was done on the NC side--so you thought you could omit it and no one would notice. Close, but no cigar buddy.

And of course, you also failed to address how York County over there in the deep South is the fastest-growing county in metro Charlotte and at one point there were more people moving from Mecklenburg to York than vice versa (and that may still be the case; I haven't seen the most recent figures).

Quote:
SC instantly looks more low-brow than any state North of it on those two interstates, I don't care what anybody says.
And yet the only interstate that directly connects Charlotte and the "gateway to the deep South" is I-77 and you say absolutely nothing about that. You're moving the goalposts in a pathetic attempt to be right about something, and it's not working. You probably forgot the point you were even trying to make in your previous post.

And I guess SC is so "low brow" that Northerners continue to flood the state which is why it is one of the fastest-growing states in the country.

Quote:
My posts always offer a unique perspective from someone who has lived all over this country in the biggest world cities, yet grew up in Louisburg in rural Franklin County.
Yes, you're the only one on this board who has lived outside of North Carolina and therefore we must bow to you and accept your "unique perspectives" as divine revelations. Give me a break...

Quote:
And the Triangle posters on here don't get incensed in the face of criticisms like Charlotte folks do.
Which could be interpreted as a lack of civic pride. But who knows whether this "unique perspective" of yours is even valid here.

Quote:
At least half of Charlotte (W,NW, N NE except for UNCC area) is immediately excluded from any search for a good area.
I mentioned Charlotte's expansive city limits for a reason. Some of the neighborhoods just outside of Uptown on those parts of town may not be the best, but if you go a little further out you see some noticeable changes. To characterize the entirety of northern and western Charlotte as bad is pretty disingenous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
It’s funny how some people think they are the only one that has been to or lived in another city or state. Wow. Educate us about the world while we site in wide eyed wonder.
LOL right!

Old 05-27-2018, 12:53 PM

344 posts, read 323,557 times
Ho boy. We're almost at the two year mark for relocating from Chicago to the Raleigh area, specifically Orange County where we "live, work, and play". I get homesick sometimes and decided to peek in at Charlotte's forum, as it was indeed the most "exciting" city we passed by on the drive down. l would love to come back and see a race!! Surprise to me was lack of another (smaller) racetrack and the lack of putt-putt golf in the Triangle. I think that would be a hit, but maybe that's just me.
I know l am no expert, despite having traveled a fair amount. I still love NC! And look forward to many years hopefully of exploring her mountains, beaches and farmland. The Triangle area has been literally a godsend, with the fine folks at UNC facilitating a second chance for me. l will be forever grateful! P.S. as a reminder, the Civil war is over, y'all can take down the battle flags and embrace each other's differences.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 986 times
Settled in Concord having lived in 15 other cities and 3 of those places were Monterey, Ca., San Jose, Ca., and
Orinda, Ca. I couldn't afford to buy any one of those homes today. They are all over $2 million dollars, and as far as commuting they are far worse from one going through a tunnel to merging off a ramp to all airports and praying I wouldn't miss my flight due to check-in congestion and overall indifference. Recently, had a chance to study the NC State Education Code and there's a Code that discriminates against home schooled and private Christian based rhetorical schools. The Code is 700 and specific even if the student takes SAT/ACT and scores above average & even enrolled in a community college on line, the acceptance to the NC 4 year University system is simply biased and encouragement for students to apply to anyone of the Service Academies is virtually non-existent unless there's an active alumni association in a particular city. Concord's in Cabarrus County and the County School Board has not kept up with dealing with the population expansion and borders on prejudicial determination of access to better schools by elderly school board members who have grandchildren that have to program their grandparents IPHones and install apps on their laptops because they've haven't had the inclination to keep up but they never shut up when it comes to their liberal jackass opinions that never know where to pin the tail on the donkey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or