Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:07 PM

391 posts, read 402,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms5tacy View Post
I totally agree with your statement. I will be moving to Charlotte next month from Milwaukee, WI. This has been a long time coming. I have done my own research and made multiple visits. I plan to make this move one of my best moves.
Good attitude. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:07 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I do know that when I travel around the country now, practically everyone I meet expresses a desire to move here. I have never heard anyone speak ill of Charlotte. I just want readers to know that you need to visit and not assume that the somewhat biased opinion of a newcomer is valid. This is a big area and has lots to offer everyone. If you can't find what you're looking for here, it doesn't exist.
I agree with this, to a point.

I have never been bored in Charlotte. Sunday's are a little sleepy, but there is so much going on in this area,,,there are a million and one quality opportunities to meet new people, and glean something new.

But to say that there aren't any voids in Charlotte, to the extent that if you can't find something here, it doesn't exist? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

I am not well traveled, nor will I pretend to be. Yet, at the risk of sounding like a snob, I felt that both the Mint Museum, and the Levine Museum of the New South, are lacking.

Charlotte's a great town if you can accept what she has to offer, which is a lot. Yet, if you want top healthcare, you have to go to Duke; if you're interested in the arts, take a daytrip to D.C.

Charlotte is a great, midsized, second tier, City. She's still growing, and I don't doubt that she won't have her place in the world - come tomorrow. But she's still in the process of maturing...nothing wrong with that, as she's going through the same process that is common with all successful cities.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,569 times
You can't compare it to one of the top largest 10 cities in the world or have that kind of expectation. Museums are lame everywhere with a couple exceptions. It also helps appreciate them if you grew up in the local area and understand the history, able to put 2 and 2 together of the displays and meaning behind them. Attractions themselves can only provide a limited amount of excitement anywhere, because they're all similar. If they weren't similar there would be no need to travel to far away places on vacation. I want to see the Nascar museum here since I like race cars and it's part of our NC heritage.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:57 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
You can't compare it to one of the top largest 10 cities in the world or have that kind of expectation. Museums are lame everywhere with a couple exceptions. It also helps appreciate them if you grew up in the local area and understand the history, able to put 2 and 2 together of the displays and meaning behind them. Attractions themselves can only provide a limited amount of excitement anywhere, because they're all similar. If they weren't similar there would be no need to travel to far away places on vacation. I want to see the Nascar museum here since I like race cars and it's part of our NC heritage.
I agree, but wish that those who promote Charlotte would be comfortable with Charlotte as she is. The ridiculous boasts (e.g. "Charlotte is International")...ridiculous monikers (LoSo; MoRa; Blah Blah Blah), are not only silly, but they build expectations up to unrealistic levels.

The Nascar theme is not only unique, but appropriate. But the silly boasts of marketeers need to go.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The Sheriff says that London has no culture, and you say that museums are lame everywhere with a couple of exceptions. You guys need to get out more.

Really.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:12 AM

751 posts, read 934,630 times
From the 2010 census, Charlotte is the 34th largest MSA in the country w/1.7MM people. We've grown a bit since 2010, so let's put the figure at 2MM, which would make us 29th...on par with Kansas City and slightly larger than Columbus OH and Indianapolis...and significantly smaller than the top 20 (St Louis, Tampa, Baltimore are #18-20 and are all 2.6MM and above).

I post this only for people to realize...if you're comparing Charlotte to larger cities, it's the wrong comparison. Compare what Charlotte offers vs Indianapolis or Columbus. I have a feeling those towns too have homes with teens that feel like there's "nothing to do" sometimes. Hometowns are what you make of them and what you choose to embrace.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
From the 2010 census, Charlotte is the 34th largest MSA in the country w/1.7MM people. We've grown a bit since 2010, so let's put the figure at 2MM, which would make us 29th...on par with Kansas City and slightly larger than Columbus OH and Indianapolis...and significantly smaller than the top 20 (St Louis, Tampa, Baltimore are #18-20 and are all 2.6MM and above).
Just curious where you got 1.7MM? I think that might be our urban area statistic instead of metropolitan statistical area. We have 2.2MM people in the 2010 census for MSA's, up to 2.45MM in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Old 11-27-2017, 06:27 AM

193 posts, read 158,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
^THIS.....Definitely not much to do. AGREED. Visit often as you can.....The "shinyness" wears off after a year.
Yup 100%, imo NC is the "safest" option if you want to live in the southeast, Besides GA.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 AM

751 posts, read 934,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Just curious where you got 1.7MM? I think that might be our urban area statistic instead of metropolitan statistical area. We have 2.2MM people in the 2010 census for MSA's, up to 2.45MM in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

United States Metropolitan Statistical Area Population - iWeblists

Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
Ah I see what happened. In 2000 the Charlotte area was called the "Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC" Metropolitan Statistical Area.

In 2010, some additional counties joined the metro area and it became the "Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC" Metropolitan Statistical Area. The website you used backed out those added counties to control for organic growth only over the 2000 census in the counties defined as part of the 2000 metro. In the 2010 census we had organic growth + some outlying counties join the metro area.

Here's where we stand as of 2010 and the 2016 estimate from the census in our new metro area name (and newly added counties) at 2.4 million people (our closest peers are now Orlando, San Antonio, Portland, Pittsburgh, and Sacramento).
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte