Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM

17 posts, read 16,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
There is value in the city if you look for it. Where are you working? What kind of home/lot/neighborhood do you want? What is your budget?
We are not opposed to living in the city and south Charlotte seems like it has some great areas. I just get really anxious in congested traffic (like if it takes me 20 mins to get to a grocery store 2 miles down the road). I'm home with kids. Husband will be just northwest of Carowinds. Single family with some yard, but not isolated...we like social areas. Keeping it under 475.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtoclt View Post
We are not opposed to living in the city and south Charlotte seems like it has some great areas. I just get really anxious in congested traffic (like if it takes me 20 mins to get to a grocery store 2 miles down the road). I'm home with kids. Husband will be just northwest of Carowinds. Single family with some yard, but not isolated...we like social areas. Keeping it under 475.
That is helpful. With your budget you are going to have a ton of great options. To make life easier on the husband's commute I would recommend Fort Mill, Belmont, Steele Creek, Mount Holly.

Perhaps you can visit and drive around all of these areas to get a feel for what would be the most comfortable to you? One great thing about Charlotte's growth is that there are young families in almost every neighborhood in the city. It really is a boom time...sometimes it's difficult to appreciate while we are in the thick of it, but you can't go long each day without meeting a new transplant that is excited to be here.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
30 would probably be your best case scenario. Closer to 45 would be the average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
In the evenings expect 45 min often; one hour sometimes, and well over an hour on rare occasions.
Granted I don't live in that area (but I do travel throughout the metro), but 45 minutes seems a bit exaggerated IMO. Without traffic, google maps is saying 20 minutes. The general rule of thumb that I've found in Charlotte in my personal experience is that even on some of the most congested roads, it's pretty rare for rush hour commutes to be over 2X the non-rush hour commute. That route isn't exactly a picnic but IMO it is far from being one of the worst. So I'd guess it would be more in the 35 minute range most of the time.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
That is helpful. With your budget you are going to have a ton of great options. To make life easier on the husband's commute I would recommend Fort Mill, Belmont, Steele Creek, Mount Holly.

Perhaps you can visit and drive around all of these areas to get a feel for what would be the most comfortable to you? One great thing about Charlotte's growth is that there are young families in almost every neighborhood in the city. It really is a boom time...sometimes it's difficult to appreciate while we are in the thick of it, but you can't go long each day without meeting a new transplant that is excited to be here.
Thank you! That is nice to hear and I understand both sides of the coin regarding a constant influx of new residents. We will check these areas out for sure in a few weeks. Are there any South Charlotte neighborhoods that would have decent commutes as well? I think I would enjoy the "vibe" of that area, it would just require me to practice my deep breathing skills in the car.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Granted I don't live in that area (but I do travel throughout the metro), but 45 minutes seems a bit exaggerated IMO. Without traffic, google maps is saying 20 minutes.
Wife travels it every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtoclt View Post
Thank you! That is nice to hear and I understand both sides of the coin regarding a constant influx of new residents. We will check these areas out for sure in a few weeks. Are there any South Charlotte neighborhoods that would have decent commutes as well? I think I would enjoy the "vibe" of that area, it would just require me to practice my deep breathing skills in the car.
Two suggestions:

1) I second south Charlotte. There are many benefits to living within the City. One of my favorite areas is within the 28226 zip code, which offers convenient shopping; a great library, and nice parks/greenways.

2) Lake Wylie SC. Lake Wylie will put you close to Westinghouse, and is a short distance from Belmont. The area also has good schools, and is right on Lake Wylie.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
If I were you I would strongly consider the lake life.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...89_rect/11_zm/

Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
If I were you I would strongly consider the lake life.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...89_rect/11_zm/
Wow! Talk about bang for your buck.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:20 PM

54 posts, read 174,314 times
I'd like to ask the OP what they like about Belmont over Fort Mill? Just curious. I've been in Fort Mill for 7 years and I'm having a tough time liking any other area as much, but thinking of moving and can't figure out where to go in this city. Genuinely trying to learn what's great about Belmont.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
I'd like to ask the OP what they like about Belmont over Fort Mill? Just curious. I've been in Fort Mill for 7 years and I'm having a tough time liking any other area as much, but thinking of moving and can't figure out where to go in this city. Genuinely trying to learn what's great about Belmont.
I think Belmont's a hidden gem because other suburban areas like Concord, Union Co., Ft. Mill, and Mooresville get so much attention. I've lived there and absolutely loved it. There are homes in many price ranges, very walkable, old and new neighborhoods, safe, doesn't have the explosive growth and traffic most of the rest of metro Charlotte has (and HUGE plus), good schools, a really nice little downtown with some good restaurants, on the Catawba River/Lake Wylie, the easiest commute to Charlotte and the airport in the metro area. It still seems unspoiled compared to other "hot" towns around Charlotte. If my wife and I ever build a home in the Charlotte area, Belmont is where we want to go. I actually hope it stays that HIDDEN gem, lol.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
I actually am not super familiar with the area, but from what I have read and seen during a brief drive through...it seems to meet a lot of my needs. Small town vibe. Walkable (from certain neighborhoods). I saw there is an abandoned mill that is going to be renovated into an events space, which I have seen done very well in other small towns. Local brewery and distillery. I like the general feeling of being close to water...more breathing room if that makes sense. There does not appear to be a lot of big store shopping so it may get old having to make a long haul for certain things, but pretty sure Amazon will deliver there . Unfortunately, the housing inventory is pretty slim (at least within my parameters) and the commute may not make the most sense for my husband. But it is still a contender for my family!

Now may I ask you what you like about Fort Mill? It is also on our short list. We particularly liked Baxter for the instant community it would provide. Don't love the proximity to the interstate (like actually being able to see it), but it's nice that the other side is fairly close to the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte