U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,374,731 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about growing some tomatoes or other "common" veggies that I buy from the farmers market all the time in the late spring and summer. Partly due to cost, and the other part due to the fact I have a green thumb, and always wanted to grow a "vegetable garden".

The article in the Observer today sealed the deal and I'm going to take the plunge....

Nothing fancy, just start out w/some seeds in an egg carton. Put them on a tray in my living room near the window that gets the most sun. Once they grow larger, I'll transplant them to inexpensive pots....

The last step is either finding a sunny spot in my backyard and plant the transplants, or another good Idea I heard is you can take a huge bail of hay that they sell at HD, cut out about an 8-9" hole in the middle, fill it w/good topsoil and set your transplant in it.....

If you give the plants TLC, the rewards can be tremendous....Its a hobby the whole family can enjoy.

see the attached link...

Charlotte Observer | 02/29/2008 | Love tomatoes? Full seed ahead! (http://www.charlotte.com/450/story/516422.html - broken link)

C'mon, where are all you closet gardeners out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I've been thinking about growing some tomatoes or other "common" veggies that I buy from the farmers market all the time in the late spring and summer. Partly due to cost, and the other part due to the fact I have a green thumb, and always wanted to grow a "vegetable garden".

The article in the Observer today sealed the deal and I'm going to take the plunge....

Nothing fancy, just start out w/some seeds in an egg carton. Put them on a tray in my living room near the window that gets the most sun. Once they grow larger, I'll transplant them to inexpensive pots....

The last step is either finding a sunny spot in my backyard and plant the transplants, or another good Idea I heard is you can take a huge bail of hay that they sell at HD, cut out about an 8-9" hole in the middle, fill it w/good topsoil and set your transplant in it.....

If you give the plants TLC, the rewards can be tremendous....Its a hobby the whole family can enjoy.

see the attached link...

Charlotte Observer | 02/29/2008 | Love tomatoes? Full seed ahead! (http://www.charlotte.com/450/story/516422.html - broken link)

C'mon, where are all you closet gardeners out there?
Hee Hee. I am your tomato girl. LOVE MY TOMATOES!!! First two summers we were here, I didnt find the right spot for my plants. Then I figured it out and put them on the east side of the house near the back, where they dont' get shadows and barely get enuff sun (we have HUGE trees!!!!). I only have to plant 3 plants and have tomatoes all summer.

Here is my tip, taught to me as a child by my grandmother. When you get ready to plant them, pick off the suckers about 3 or so inches from the bottom. Then plant not only the roots but that section of the plant into the soil. This will encourage even more roots to grow, making your plant sturdier from day one. I also use stakes and later, as they grow, cages, b/c we have squirrels who also enjoy munching on my tomatoes.

Save your wife's old panty hose and use them to tie up your stakes, as they won't cut into your stems.

I have been looking at some root stimulation plant food but have not decided whether or not to get some of it.

My soil is awful here . . . and so I have worked hard to amend it.

Heck, you have a green thumb so you probably already know this stuff . . .

Last edited by anifani821; 03-19-2008 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM

76 posts, read 193,875 times
I most definitely do not have a green thumb, but I successfully grew tomatoes last summer. I bought one of those little patio tomato plants from Lowe's, planted it in a container, and watered it regularly. It produced tomatoes all summer long. I kept it in the backyard in a spot that got full sun all day.

At various other times, I've tried lettuce, green beans, and cucumbers, but no luck with those.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM

372 posts, read 807,772 times
Default Can I be a tomato princess???

Hey you green thumbs, I'm putting in a little, little garden this year. Tomatoes, Cukes, Peppers, Watermelon, Green Onions, Lettuce. May all our thumbs be green! I hope to get really ambitious and rig up a little system so that I can use water I "save" inside (you know, letting the water run into a pitcher/bucket as it heats up for dish pan/shower) to use on the garden, without having to leave my front porch. Now that's high hopes, right?!!

Last summer was the first time my mom did container and planting bed garden rather then doing the full out garden. She has kept a garden every summer for as long as I can remember. I told her at eighty, it's o.k. to size down. Ani, she is a tomato queen, too! If I have a successful year this year, can I be a tomato princess or lady-in-waiting?

I tell ya, the smell right when you snap a fresh tomato or green pepper off... ummm... there is nothing like it, is there?! That smell will always remind me of Mom's garden.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. I am your tomato girl. LOVE MY TOMATOES!!! First two summers we were here, I didnt find the right spot for my plants. Then I figured it out and put them on the east side of the house near the back, where they dont' get shadows and barely get enuff sun (we have HUGE trees!!!!). I only have to plant 3 plants and have tomatoes all summer.

Here is my tip, taught to me as a child by my grandmother. When you get ready to plant them, pick off the suckers about 3 or so inches from the bottom. Then plant not only the roots but that section of the plant into the soil. This will encourage even more roots to grow, making your plant sturdier from day one. I also use stakes and later, as they grow, cages, b/c we have squirrels who also enjoy munching on my tomatoes.

Save your wife's old panty hose and use them to tie up your stakes, as they won't cut into your stems.

I have been looking at some root stimulation plant food but have not decided whether or not to get some of it.

My soil is awful here . . . and so I have worked hard to amend it.

Heck, you have a green thumb so you probably already know this stuff . . .

One can always learn from other people about this stuff.....thanks for the tips...

3 plants only and tomatoes all summer? That's awesome...!

I might pass on the panty hose part...I'm getting a visual now of picking up my wife's panty hose while she's walking into the room I'm in.....how the heck would you explain that one??? "Oh, I'm just thinking of using your pantyhose to tie up the tomato plants......"

Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennej View Post
I most definitely do not have a green thumb, but I successfully grew tomatoes last summer. I bought one of those little patio tomato plants from Lowe's, planted it in a container, and watered it regularly. It produced tomatoes all summer long. I kept it in the backyard in a spot that got full sun all day.

At various other times, I've tried lettuce, green beans, and cucumbers, but no luck with those.
that's encouraging...and seemed very simple. thanks for sharing.

Any particular variety of tomatoes to go with?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM

372 posts, read 807,772 times
I bet Ani has some variety tips, Cjack. My mom has some favorites and I have it on my to-do list to find out from her just what those are.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM

64 posts, read 264,469 times
I am going to do some tomatoes too I think. What kind of seeds should I buy? I want the kind that taste so amazing that they melt in your mouth!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,666,405 times
I tried heirloom tomatoes last year but they didn't do as well as the Better Boys and the Big Boys. But then I think last year was a hard year for gardens. If yo0u want tomatoes in mid-June, now is the time to plant the seeds for the Boys as they take about 70 - 80 days to produce fruit.

I also spray some epsom salts on my tomatoes plants (Google "epsom salts" in the garden), and add some egg shells (for calcium) to the soil when I plant them. I love these homey garden tricks. I get so excited when I discover a new one.

Finally, don't plant your tomatoes in the same place every year. I can't remember the reason, but it has something to do with what tomatoes do to (or maybe take from) the soil. If no one knows what it does, I'll look it up tomorrow. Right now it's bedtime.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 AM

199 posts, read 689,845 times
I would love to have a vegetable garden but we're not allowed to have one (apartment). Does anybody know about a community garden in Belmont or somewhere close in Gaston county?

I used to grow tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, onions, garlic, and corn when I lived in Colorado. I loved it and it's nice to be outside after a day in the office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte