U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,695,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
carolina_guy - Those look more like the things I'd be interested in. If I'm going to get a gun it will probably be something that would be suitable as a concealed-carry firearm. Barkingowl had me looking on the Glock Web site and I found a few items that appealed to me. The weird thing about buying a gun is, I was always used to using Consumer Reports to buy something and this purchase is definitely out of their usual testing parameters! How does anyone start down the road to get a concealed-carry permit and buy the gun or is it the other way around?
Emissary, they best advice I can give you is visit the Cornered Cat website and the Highroad website. You'll obtain so much information there and become quite astute to what you need to do. Also, you can certainly do the CCW first because they will provide you a firearm for you to pass your test at the range. In fact, this may be the best thing to do for a novice because you are obtaining all the safety training, gun laws, and must pass a range test.

Where are you located? I've got a great guy up here at the lake that does it all on a Saturday morning for like $130. Some places like Gander charge $55, but it's a 2 day journey and they don't provide breakfast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM

105 posts, read 219,846 times
With tremendous interest I am reading these postings...
I fully intend to be armed in NC, I am concealed-carry legal here in Maine & have been so in MA & NH also. I guess I will have to go through the blah-blah-blah training again when I get there (as there is no licensing reciprocity between NC & ME), my question to you is this...does anyone know if I'm ok to arrive in town with my handgun - dismantled, or not? Do I have to be licensed before I can purchase one in NC? My dad wants to send me one from his collection in TX, but he is more of a pistol kind of guy, I prefer guns with clips. :-)
ANIFANI - about 5 pages-of-postings ago, you asked me question, I'll answer you now...this Texas native landed in Maine because I followed my sisters (I had to check out 5 other states first, though) - neither of them live here anymore, so I am OUTTA here! Thanks for welcoming me to this forum - I've been following it since my year-long research caused me to decide on Charlotte as my next adventure!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,519,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I personally don't know that I could shoot-to-kill someone, and that was the thought that was heavy on my mind.
That's very understandable. No one really knows for sure what they will do in the heat of the moment or if they would be able to hit what they were shooting at. From a gun owner's perspective it makes sense to practice regularly with your gun. I've gone to the range & practiced when I was feeling like death warmed over & before & after brain surgery. But one of the nice perks about having good neighbors who are responsible gun owners is that they will watch out for their neighbors & will help to protect them if they can.

Quote:
That said, I'm pretty sure I could take out a few kneecaps or something. Just not deadly force like I've heard other people here posturing about.
If you can take out their kneecaps then all the more power to you & I wish I could hit that small of a target.

Quote:
YOU are the one who ultimately has to live with whatever decision you make in that instant.
That's very true. I don't think that anyone who isn't a thug is immune from the realization that they have ended the life of another person. I might very well have bad dreams & need counseling for the rest of my life, but if I chose not to act & someone I cared about died because of my decision, I think I'd have a tougher time dealing with that. Hopefully I'll never have to face that realization.

Quote:
But hearing people say flippantly that they don't mind "taking a few out" or things of that sort just makes me cringe. Is it posturing, or are there people that mean it? THAT thought creeps me out.
I take statements of that nature with a grain of salt. Its easy to get caught up in the passion of a thread. Would I be a vigilante & go in search of thugs to kill? No. But if they bring the fight to my doorstep then they will not find me cowering in a corner or pleading for my life. There will be a fight & if I win then I get to live another day. If I die then I will have done my best & I would hope that those that I was protecting were able to fight on, to escape, or to be protected by others.

Quote:
The fault of the internet: we have no way of knowing what is closest to the truth, because we're all essentially strangers. We only have what people SAY to go on.
Again, true. Its very difficult to ascertain what the intent, tone or emotions are of someone making a post on an internet forum. You do get a feeling for people after participating in different threads with them & DMing.

Quote:
But both cops and soldiers are trained professionals, and it's their responsibility. They won't use deadly force unless necessary, and they have been trained to know the difference. Do they ever screw up in the heat of the moment? Sure, they're human. But they've got a far better chance than Joe Homeowner.
The police can't be everywhere at once & they acknowledge that. The logical thing to do in an emergency is to dial 911 & wait for the police to arrive to deal with the thugs. But the police aren't on 24 hour standby for you or I. They have a lot to deal with that normally doesn't involve the average law abiding citizen. If they told me to hang on for 2 minutes, I would try to do so, but I would be much more comfortable knowing that I could defend myself.

Quote:
But now we're straying from my original point. If you go back, I said I thought it was sad that taking matters into our own hands is the only way we can feel safe. That point is devoid of any judgment on what you consider the best way to protect yourself; it's just sad that you have to.
Actually I think that if more people took responsibility for their lives instead of passing it on to others we wouldn't have a lot of the problems with crime that we do today.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
With tremendous interest I am reading these postings...
I fully intend to be armed in NC, I am concealed-carry legal here in Maine & have been so in MA & NH also. I guess I will have to go through the blah-blah-blah training again when I get there (as there is no licensing reciprocity between NC & ME), my question to you is this...does anyone know if I'm ok to arrive in town with my handgun - dismantled, or not? Do I have to be licensed before I can purchase one in NC? My dad wants to send me one from his collection in TX, but he is more of a pistol kind of guy, I prefer guns with clips. :-)
ANIFANI - about 5 pages-of-postings ago, you asked me question, I'll answer you now...this Texas native landed in Maine because I followed my sisters (I had to check out 5 other states first, though) - neither of them live here anymore, so I am OUTTA here! Thanks for welcoming me to this forum - I've been following it since my year-long research caused me to decide on Charlotte as my next adventure!
While NC has more gun laws than necessary, we still aren't among the strictest states. Bring all of your guns here fully assembled no problem. Just keep them in the trunk to be safe. No, you don't have to be licensed to purchase, but you will have to apply for a permit to purchase. If you get your CCW, you'll never need to apply for purchase again.

Come on down, we need more shepherds down here to protect the sheeple from the wolves!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 PM

807 posts, read 2,048,373 times
So how do you keep guns accessible, loaded, ready to use with kids in the house?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
So how do you keep guns accessible, loaded, ready to use with kids in the house?
Check out the Cornered Cat website!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM

105 posts, read 219,846 times
Thanks, Carolina_Guy!
NC may have more laws than needed - but you can't even begin to imagine how tough it was for me to get my permit in Mass! Don't you DARE say anything more than "...for personal protection" & then you'd better hope that the Chief of Police is in a good mood that day! Once the Maine State Police saw my MA permit, I was immediately approved for my Maine permit.
You well informed folks will be hearing from this Texas native, 2nd Amendment Sister again when I get there this summer. I'll need to be reminded of all your helpful hints!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 29 days ago)

5,651 posts, read 6,724,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
UV, I understand where you are coming from and it is never a happy thought to consider killing someone for their stupidity. But in all honesty, our country would not be where it is today if gun laws were not what they are today. The stricter the gun laws, the less safe all of us are. Crime has gotten out of hand and it is directly proportional (well among other things that has brought this country down like morality issues) to the increase in gun control.

For all of you who own a gun or support those that do, I HIGHLY encourage you to become an NRA member, which is the surest way for us to maintain our 2nd Amendment rights. And I really don't want this to spur into a political discussion (and for what it's worth I think it's a sad state we live in when all we have to choose from for a president is the 3 left in the running), if you value your 2nd Amendment rights, you should do some keen research on the lefties. Voting for them is voting for more anti-gun laws. They'll have to shoot me for mine if it ever comes to that. So let's not let it come to that!!!!
carolina_guy - I think that one of the reasons that I'm interested in getting a gun is because so many people around here have them. Plus, they're fairly easy to get your hands on in NC compared to NJ. If I was still in NJ, I think I'd be much less inclined to pursue the idea of getting one plus it would be next to impossible to get a concealed-carry permit. Plus the cops show up in a flash. For the kind of taxes I paid up there, and the salaries and pension they got, they had better show up fast.

My feeling about guns are if no one was allowed to own a handgun or some of those para-military rifles the murder rate would drop. I remember seeing an ad that listed the death by guns and the U.S. had around 17,000. Most of the European countries had numbers like UK 10, France 7 Germany 4 - numbers like that.

My problem with the NRA is while they do a good job of promoting gun safety they do a lousy job in helping craft laws in many states to prevent less than law-abiding people from buying them. It wouldn't bother me to have myself fingerprinted at a store where I bought a gun or to have the gun test-fired to obtain a photo of the bullet markings like you see on every episode of CSI. I wouldn't be bothered either with a 30,60, or 90 day waiting period and thorough background check to buy one.

All this being said, I'm beginning to understand why Iran wants the bomb. If everyone around me has one, then I want one too, and it's too bad, so sad if you don't like it! That's my new attitude. I'm going to get my gun!!! I'm only afraid that I'll get so into it, like I did with computers, that in time I'll have to expand my arsenal to include an F-117 and a small-yield nuclear-tipped cruise missile parked on the front lawn. I bet the HOA will not be too happy with me over that!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
carolina_guy - I think that one of the reasons that I'm interested in getting a gun is because so many people around here have them. Plus, they're fairly easy to get your hands on in NC compared to NJ. If I was still in NJ, I think I'd be much less inclined to pursue the idea of getting one plus it would be next to impossible to get a concealed-carry permit. Plus the cops show up in a flash. For the kind of taxes I paid up there, and the salaries and pension they got, they had better show up fast.

My feeling about guns are if no one was allowed to own a handgun or some of those para-military rifles the murder rate would drop. I remember seeing an ad that listed the death by guns and the U.S. had around 17,000. Most of the European countries had numbers like UK 10, France 7 Germany 4 - numbers like that.

My problem with the NRA is while they do a good job of promoting gun safety they do a lousy job in helping craft laws in many states to prevent less than law-abiding people from buying them. It wouldn't bother me to have myself fingerprinted at a store where I bought a gun or to have the gun test-fired to obtain a photo of the bullet markings like you see on every episode of CSI. I wouldn't be bothered either with a 30,60, or 90 day waiting period and thorough background check to buy one.

All this being said, I'm beginning to understand why Iran wants the bomb. If everyone around me has one, then I want one too, and it's too bad, so sad if you don't like it! That's my new attitude. I'm going to get my gun!!! I'm only afraid that I'll get so into it, like I did with computers, that in time I'll have to expand my arsenal to include an F-117 and a small-yield nuclear-tipped cruise missile parked on the front lawn. I bet the HOA will not be too happy with me over that!
I kinda understand what you're saying, but I still disagree. Have stricter gun laws or creating more difficulty to obtain them only hurt law abiding citizens. Criminals don't go through the proper channels in the first place, so they will still obtain them off the streets. You might want to look into subscribing to the American Rifleman as it will give you great insight to many important issues. Btw, that's free with an NRA membership!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,320,855 times
Wow - what a great thread! I have enjoyed catching up . . . so many informative and thoughtful posts!

And see Em - I knew the guys would come on and give you much better guidance that I can. I have not attended a gun show in years . . . my son and dad advise me on guns . . . and the guys were able to advise you on great choices that are in a good price range, too.

That Mossberg is a great home security weapon . . . but I thought - you would want a revolver for a sidearm and geee - I had that wrong!!!

Seapr: Thank you so much for posting that news story. Now this is what I am talking about. In addition, please, please everyone remember - this is not the 50s and we are not in Mayberry: keep your doors locked when at home. When I started insisting on this in the 80s, my family/neighbors all thought I was nuts. No one was doing this during the day. I look back and remember how many times I had children at home, and was down in the basement and a solicitor showed up at the house . . . now what if those doors were not locked and that had not really been a solicitor . . . others began to see the wisdom in my choices after similar incidences happened at their houses. Yes, nothing nefarious - but why IF?

I personally think it gets even more important to be vigilant if you are a woman at home during the day - or if you are an elderly person! So often, these thugs target the most vulnerable. Women, don't let yourself be vulnerable!

Aulani - so glad you will be joining us here! Maine is beautiful, but you need to get back South, girl!

CarolinaGuy and Barkingowl - you guys are always such great help on this forum. Makes me proud we are all here together.

Ultraviolet: Enjoyed you post! I think we all agree that it is truly a sad state of affairs that we even have to think about such things as that story that Seapr posted . . . and that we have to consider that we could be the victims of a random act of senseless crime. And we all understand what you mean about recoiling from the idea of actually have to fire that gun . . . w/ the possibility that someone could be left lifeless.

I know this is not much comfort, but I honestly believe that when we make ourselves less vulnerable . . . we send out a signal to the universe that we are not going to allow ourselves to be victimized. Call it a certain confidence we get when we know how to defend ourselves . . . I can't explain it . . but seems to me criminals typically single out the most vulnerable. The peace of mind that comes w/ knowing you are trained in how to defend yourself . . . will send a signal that will probably mean you will not be chosen as someone to target. At least, that is my feeling. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity (unless someone has staked out your home).

If you move around in your daily activities as a person who is aware of your environment and willing to take action if confronted . . I just think it makes you less likely to be a victim.

At least, that is what I am counting on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or