U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM

16 posts, read 10,867 times

Advertisements

I've relocated and need to get a NC drivers license. Do I need to take a written test? Some folks that moved here from another state years ago said I would, but the DMV website says if I have a valid drivers license form another stay I MAY not have to take the test. Kind of weird that it says "may". Has anyone from another state gotten a NC license recently and let me know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 PM

777 posts, read 1,308,476 times
I didn't when I moved here a year ago. But make your appointment ahead of time online so that you can can in and out quickly at the license bureau.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,204,000 times
When we moved down here from VA in 2006, we had to take the written test. My BIL and his wife moved down in 2009 and they also had to do it and my IL's did in 2010. I don't know if anything has changed in the last 7 years, but I would be prepared just in case.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM

92 posts, read 84,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
When we moved down here from VA in 2006, we had to take the written test. My BIL and his wife moved down in 2009 and they also had to do it and my IL's did in 2010. I don't know if anything has changed in the last 7 years, but I would be prepared just in case.
We came in 2016 and did not have to take the written test, just make sure your current license is not expired or lost... then you get to do it all over again!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM

313 posts, read 173,310 times
You'll have to do a quick and simple vision/road-sign test that takes only a couple minutes and is impossible to fail.

Like most states they give anyone with a pulse a license then the roadways are littered with idiots. Not saying you're one of course just in general.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM

8,045 posts, read 5,857,999 times
NC was easy, just signs. But there is a tutorial on line. just google it.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 PM

156 posts, read 134,758 times
I just had to take a road signs test right there at the counter. If I'm not mistaken the DMV's in NC are privately owned and each DMV does a specific set of tasks so be sure to go to the right one.

The shock you need to know about is that when you register your car it could cost hundreds of dollars so be ready for that!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:28 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,373,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
I just had to take a road signs test right there at the counter. If I'm not mistaken the DMV's in NC are privately owned and each DMV does a specific set of tasks so be sure to go to the right one.

The shock you need to know about is that when you register your car it could cost hundreds of dollars so be ready for that!
The tag offices are franchised. The drivers license offices are run by state employees.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:39 PM

226 posts, read 283,404 times
My husband and I moved here in July and got our NC licenses in August. The only tests we had to take were a vision test and a quick road sign test. Easy as pie!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:57 AM

1,255 posts, read 734,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloc2017 View Post
I've relocated and need to get a NC drivers license. Do I need to take a written test? Some folks that moved here from another state years ago said I would, but the DMV website says if I have a valid drivers license form another stay I MAY not have to take the test. Kind of weird that it says "may". Has anyone from another state gotten a NC license recently and let me know?

Thanks!
I didn't have to take a written test when I changed my license. I moved to NC from NY. Maybe different states have different laws depending on where you're coming from. I'd call DMV and ask. The wait times on the phone weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

The only "test" was a short eye exam as well as them showing me a few street signs and me telling them what they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or