Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:14 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Don't regret it at all, I just didn't realize how overcast the summers are here. I guess this constant rain and cloud cover is why the place is so green.. I am wondering when the sun starts coming out more consistently.. Needless to say I grew up in a place that was perpetually overcast and very chilly most of the year. The weather alone was not what drove me away.

African cuisine was not my most favorite.. South African cuisine I hear is quite good, although that may have to do with Boer influence. Caribbean food is excellent and the Cajun and Creole cuisines are some of my favorite type of foods.. But none of this existed at all that I saw in West or East Africa when I was there. I think it is wise you livedo n MREs if you were there in the military. Going to a run down, third world hospital in Arusha, Tanzania with dysentery was not fun.. I even caught dysentery during my 3rd day of the safari. I only was able to pull through Ngorngoro Crater because I didn't eat the whole day and it didn't start getting worse until a couple days later. Of course, India has probably even more issues with hygiene. I managed to stay healthy enough in Ghana, but I was careful to avoid buffets or any food I know was cooked at high temps. I watched them cook up street food right in front of me. In India you got to avoid the meat from most places. A lot of parasites.

Indian food is some of my most favorite in the world. Yeah, I would have a tough time not eating the local stuff in India. I'd probably go vegetarian if I was there and only eat imported type of meats. They did have some nice import stores in Africa that get stuff shipped right from Europe. Although, I wasn't too worried about the meat in Africa as it was raised out in the jungle on nice large ranches. I would get the stuff from the best place in town that had coolers, freezers and generators. You really have to do know your sources in these places.
This isn't what summer is usually like (I've been down here 12 years now). We are usually begging for it to rain and sick of the 90+ days with high humidity. The grass is usually dead by June and doesn't look all green again until October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
^ That's what I was gonna say. This is just one summer. I like this over 93 degrees and humid like early July / late June this summer.

Also, it has been overcast for about 5 days. The rest of summer was pretty hot!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:15 PM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
It is indicative of the kind of people who have moved to Charlotte. The city has changed. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear about that.

Unless you're in Beverly Hills? Huh? You need to get out more.
What kind of people do you feel have moved to Charlotte that make it "indicative"? Not wearing socks has always been a Carolina thing. It is as Carolina as the Shag (for those that are aware of the shag dance.)It has been a 'thing' for decades. Final question, what is wrong with people not wearing socks if the choose to not do so? I can't believe that anyone gives it a serious thought.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:18 PM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
You have to be told?
Yes, please be my guest...........

Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,619 times
Charlotte is a love it or hate it kind of place...
Man I hate it, but God I do love it there...
I sure love to hate though...
God hate that I love Charlotte so much!

Charlotte is a good place. I have lived in many places Including Dfw, DC, Tampa, Minneapolis, Denver, and I also spent considerable amounts of time in Chicago.

All those places have things better than Charlotte and also have many things worse than charlotte.

Without going into nonsense stats and meaningless details about schools,commuters, people, service, housing, jobs etc....

Know this.

Charlotte has great weather, great people, plenty of activities to keep any sane person busy, schools are fine (we sent two boys to public schools there for over 6 years) traffic is as expected in a growing city, jobs pay like anything else in the SE. Lower than most.

Dont move to charlotte if you want Florida. Dont move to charlotte if you are going to constantly compare it to where you came from.
Charlotte is it's own city and it shows.
My personal opinion is that it is a great place to go and raise a family or simply advance your career. I would return there. I'm not dying to get back and there may be other places I'd consider first, but those are my reasons. But given the right opportunity, I would not hesitate to go back to Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
Oh yea. I have aunts, uncles, and cousins in NYC, Boston and other places in the Northeast. None can cook worth a crap compared to my kin in the area. I have no complaints about what is available here. I am happy with our food options and enjoy them getting better and better weekly.
I appreciate your approach (and agree ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Don't regret it at all, I just didn't realize how overcast the summers are here. I guess this constant rain and cloud cover is why the place is so green.. I am wondering when the sun starts coming out more consistently.. Needless to say I grew up in a place that was perpetually overcast and very chilly most of the year. The weather alone was not what drove me away.
Your post addresses something that crossed my mind today: I can't ever remember a summer as overcast (and dreary) like the summer we're having, although the benefit is that the temperatures are kept in check.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 AM

444 posts, read 581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I appreciate your approach (and agree ).

Your post addresses something that crossed my mind today: I can't ever remember a summer as overcast (and dreary) like the summer we're having, although the benefit is that the temperatures are kept in check.
yeah I found that weird too. we have over 300 sunny day per year here.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Yes. It's overrated, too much crime, too expensive, too long of a summer, and too boring with its outside ring of suburbs.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:28 PM

120 posts, read 139,771 times
I traveled a ton this summer and it seemed overcast everywhere. I heard this had to do with the forest fires in California. I know in the mountains in Colorado it was pure haze - and that was from Cali smoke for sure.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,726 times
I love Charlotte since moving here in 2005! Of course, I work from home so my commute is excellent. The burbs have anything you'd want. There are great churches here, good people, nice selection of restaurants, and the city is growing. I like to drive around and see all of the progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte