U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 3,498,504 times

Advertisements

I just started really liking football and Panthers are my favorite team...Go Cam! He makes watching the game fun.

Anyway, they lost today but will play the Saints next Sunday. The game will be played in New Orleans.

I don't understand a lot about football but am trying to learn. Since, both the Saints and Panthers lost today, why isn't the next game played in Charlotte?

I also don't get the wild card deal. I thought when Panthers won last week (wow, that was some game), they were for sure in the Playoffs but today see that they were still a wildcard. I'm so confused. I had someone watching the game with me try to explain but I think they were just as confused by the whole process.

Are the Panthers in a good spot right now or did today's loss really mess them up?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:56 PM

645 posts, read 756,545 times
I feel your pain. Today's game was a bummer. The Panthers looked like they were playing in water up to their waists.

Okay, let me make this easy. There are two conferences: the National Conference and the American conference.

These are teams in the American conference who are still standing and will have to eliminate every other team but one:

1. New England Patriots (13-3)**
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers (13-3)**
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)**
  4. Kansas City Chiefs (10-6)**
  5. Tennessee Titans (9-7)*
  6. Buffalo Bills (9-7)*
**clinched division
*clinched wild card spot

These are the teams in the National conference. They'll have to eliminate each other until there's only one standing:

1. Philadelphia Eagles (13-3)**
  2. Minnesota Vikings (13-3)**
  3. Los Angeles Rams (11-5)**
  4. New Orleans Saints (11-5)**
  5. Carolina Panthers (11-5)*
  6. Atlanta Falcons (10-6)*
**clinched division
*clinched wild card spot

The wild card position means that if they win their next game, they're playing another game for a playoff and another chance to win their division playoff. If they lose next game, they're out of the running for further playoffs.

That's how I understand it. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,712,811 times
“Wild Card” is just the term for the top 2 teams in each conference that didn’t win their division. The Wild Card teams play road games against the #3 (vs #6) and #4 (vs #5) in the first round of the playoffs (next week), while the #1 and #2 teams have byes until the following week. What can be somewhat confusing is that it’s not a true bracket format where #1 would play the winner of #4/#5, #1 actually plays the worst remaining seed.

Given the Saints loss (and the Rams loss, I’m not sure what seed the Panthers would have been if they won and the Rams won), yesterday, had the Panthers won they would have been 12-4 so would have actually been been the #3 team and would have had a home game in Charlotte next week (against the Falcons).

But because the Panthers lost, they dropped down to #5 and will be on the road vs. the Saints. The Panthers and Saints have the same record, but the Saints beat the Panthers twice this year so that’s why the Saints won the division. New Orleans is a tough place to play, but they always say it’s tough to beat the same team 3x in one year so we’ll see what happens.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM

2,411 posts, read 3,498,504 times
Thanks so much for explaining. That helped!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks so much for explaining. That helped!
You’re welcone, but did just notice I misspoke on one part because if the Panthers had won yesterday against the Falcons then I believe the Falcons wouldn’t have even made the playoffs.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM

34,988 posts, read 32,005,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You’re welcone, but did just notice I misspoke on one part because if the Panthers had won yesterday against the Falcons then I believe the Falcons wouldn’t have even made the playoffs.
That's how Baltimore chocked yesterday. Whooops

Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM

430 posts, read 245,332 times
Quote:
If Atlanta had lost, the Falcons still would have ended up with the #6 seed due to Seattle losing. Even though Atlanta and Seattle would have ended up with the same record, the Falcons beat the Seahawks earlier this year, giving Atlanta the tiebreaker between the two teams.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:09 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,320,797 times
The Panthers still need to maintain consistency and seal the deal. They are a talented team, and often they are good but then they somehow seem to fall apart. They should have won the last Super Bowl based upon that year's performance. But then they blew it. That seems to be their ongoing historical problem maintaining consistency at crucial times. But too often they somehow fail to live up to their potential. Once they remedy that problem they will be more of a contender.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
If Atlanta had lost, the Falcons still would have ended up with the #6 seed due to Seattle losing. Even though Atlanta and Seattle would have ended up with the same record, the Falcons beat the Seahawks earlier this year, giving Atlanta the tiebreaker between the two teams.
Thank you! Too many scenarios to remember haha

Old 01-01-2018, 04:34 PM

430 posts, read 245,332 times
Quote:
Thank you! Too many scenarios to remember haha
And if the Panthers had won in Atlanta, they would have played the Falcons again this coming weekend in the Wild Card matchup, except in Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or