Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times

Advertisements

If the old Eastland Mall area hasn't been spoken for, that would make the most sense. Central avenue, Albemarle Road, WT Harris, Sharon Amity, Independence, 277, and I77 provide the necessary access and escape routes. Even though the stadium itself would take up a lot of room, there would be plenty of room for garage parking. It would help to revitalize the area. Bringing the light rail up Central avenue would handle any burgeoning traffic and give the folks on the east side reliable access to uptown (and serve the folks in South Charlotte as well).

The area adjacent to UNCC where the Big Box stores were built (and abandoned) would also meet NFL requirements for access and evacuation. Any extra space needed for the new stadium could be bought from area undeveloped land holders. Any other traffic overage could be handled by the light rail that's already there. It'll serve the exclusive West End and South Charlotte crowd as well.

It's not a mind blower for those who actually know Charlotte first hand.

I don't think Panthers stadium will go anywhere. Taxpayers who have never even been to a game paid through the nose for it, and I don' think they'll let it go without a fight. The area around it has spurred much-needed development. If we get a new team or if the panthers renew, let them become business partners and put some of their own money into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
A domed stadium should be at the top of any new ownership group. I personally feel that would be great for the Panthers and Charlotte in general. You open yourself up to so many more opportunities with a venue like that.

I would prefer to see them keep the stadium in uptown but if moved out I would think somewhere along the light rail would be best, perhaps in the University area.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
I don't think Panthers stadium will go anywhere. Taxpayers who have never even been to a game paid through the nose for it, and I don' think they'll let it go without a fight. The area around it has spurred much-needed development. If we get a new team or if the panthers renew, let them become business partners and put some of their own money into it.
How so? Do you have a breakdown on financing sources for construction of the stadium? It was primarily from PSL sales and Richardson's money.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:08 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
How so? Do you have a breakdown on financing sources for construction of the stadium? It was primarily from PSL sales and Richardson's money.
Oh, I see. An argument for argument's sake. (Either that or you are hard of reading).

No. I have no financial breakdown of anything. The original premise proposed a new location. PERIOD.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
No. I have no financial breakdown of anything. The original premise proposed a new location. PERIOD.
Then quit posting things that aren't true. Charlotte taxpayers have NOT "paid through the nose" for B of A stadium. PERIOD.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Taxpayers have helped pay for recent renovations though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Lol, for the record I personally prefer a downtown location closer to the light rail. That large area of land owned by Levine in 1st ward near the 9th street LYNX station comes to mind. I've also thought about the large land area near Noda where Norfolk Southern used to operate before relocating out by the airport.

My reason for thinking about Carowinds has to do with the popularity of suburban NFL stadiums with lots of parking. When it comes to NFL stadiums, I don't think my personal preference (central Charlotte) will go over well with new ownership. I hope I'm wrong.
Are suburban stadiums really that popular? I know some of the ones planned to open in the next couple years will be, but as far as I can tell there’s only been 3 total to open since 2011. Two were in the suburbs (Atlanta and SF), and one was in the city (Minneapolis).

I think the city makes sense. You don’t have the huge traffic backups getting to/from the game since people are coming from all different directions and have a few different parking options.

Quote:
If the old Eastland Mall area hasn't been spoken for, that would make the most sense. Central avenue, Albemarle Road, WT Harris, Sharon Amity, Independence, 277, and I77 provide the necessary access and escape routes. Even though the stadium itself would take up a lot of room, there would be plenty of room for garage parking. It would help to revitalize the area. Bringing the light rail up Central avenue would handle any burgeoning traffic and give the folks on the east side reliable access to uptown (and serve the folks in South Charlotte as well).

The area adjacent to UNCC where the Big Box stores were built (and abandoned) would also meet NFL requirements for access and evacuation. Any extra space needed for the new stadium could be bought from area undeveloped land holders. Any other traffic overage could be handled by the light rail that's already there. It'll serve the exclusive West End and South Charlotte crowd as well.

It's not a mind blower for those who actually know Charlotte first hand.

I don’t see any way the Eastland Mall area gets the stadium. It’s not near interstates, plus they’re not going to want to put it in an area that some suburbanites will be afraid to go to. If it moves to the suburbs which I doubt it would, University area might be feasible, or maybe even near the Speedway particularly if Bruton is involved.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Taxpayers have helped pay for recent renovations though.
As I recall, that was all money from hotel occupancy and rental car taxes, not property taxes. And the amounts involved don't rise to the level of "paying through the nose".

Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 11,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
A domed stadium should be at the top of any new ownership group. I personally feel that would be great for the Panthers and Charlotte in general. You open yourself up to so many more opportunities with a venue like that.

I would prefer to see them keep the stadium in uptown but if moved out I would think somewhere along the light rail would be best, perhaps in the University area.

Good point, having the domed stadium used for other events. Maximize potential revenue by having it able to be used for more things. Open air is nice, but increased utility seems smarter.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:48 AM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post

I think it would be better to bring the Silver Line past the stadium in its current location. It's going to have to cross uptown somehow. We all know what is coming though; the new multi-million/billionaire owners will buy the team, demand that taxpayers fund a new, state-of-the-art stadium (which, going by recent NFL stadium costs, will likely be in the $2B+ range at minimum), and move the team if they don't get their way.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 AM

162 posts, read 213,058 times
The Panthers are a business. And if they want a new stadium, they can pay for it themselves. Not one taxpayer dollar should go to it.

Lets see... $2B put towards a stadium by taxpayers. Meck county has roughly 1M people. I think I'd much rather the Panthers not get a new stadium and every man, woman, and child in Meck county get a check for $2,000 in the mail. Even if it means they move to another city. And I bet most other people would vote the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte