U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:08 AM

416 posts, read 808,819 times

Advertisements

Panthers need to stay in the path of light rail transport. Pineville rejected the line coming through with a stop near the mall (which cut Ballantyne out). I believe they felt it would bring crime to the area. Not faulting them one way or the other, but public transport to our pro teams/stadiums should be a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM

570 posts, read 541,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Panthers need to stay in the path of light rail transport. Pineville rejected the line coming through with a stop near the mall (which cut Ballantyne out). I believe they felt it would bring crime to the area. Not faulting them one way or the other, but public transport to our pro teams/stadiums should be a requirement.
I was just thinking the same thing -- that, if they're are going to build a stadium outside of Uptown, they should pick a site along the Blue Line. There are a number of areas along the Blue Line extension that seem ripe for development and have plenty of room for a stadium.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM

570 posts, read 541,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
The article is a load of balderdash, only a small part is in Sc, see this from SCRA.

Steele Creek Residents Association
10 hrs

This news story says a new Carolina Panthers stadium could be built in the Carowinds area. Their geography is a little off. The property actually is on the other side of I-77 inside the Pineville town limits. It more accurately would be called the "Pineville area." The property is north of Hwy 51 and east of Nations Ford Road. Take Carowinds Blvd south past I-77 until it changes to US Hwy 21. Take a left on Hwy 51 towards Pineville. When you see the flea market on the right, the Jim Miller farm buildings will be on the left. It's over 95% in NC with a little corner in SC. Although the Miller family owns 220 acres in this area, the area shown in the story is 140 acres, with 133 in NC and 7 in SC - not half in SC as the reporter suggested. The other 80 acres is to the northeast, contiguous to this property but not forming a compact area. They'd probably have to buy additional properties. Access might be a problem. Having thousands of cars head through downtown Pineville after a game would be a mess. Road improvements for access from I-77 would be a must.
Money, money, money. Build in the suburbs like this and, yes, a bunch of road improvements/new roads will be required -- just so the team owners get their fantasy of a domed stadium with space for 20,000 cars to park so they can bank a bunch more cash. Tax payers build them a stadium, tax payers build more roads to get to the stadium, team owners reap all the rewards.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
I think it's interesting that the supposedly "local group that wants to keep the Panthers in Charlotte!!" is pushing for a new suburban stadium (well hypothetically it may not need to be suburban if there is space closer-in along the Blue Line extension).

But I guess that's still better than an outside owner wanting to move them to a completely different market.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,262,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think it's interesting that the supposedly "local group that wants to keep the Panthers in Charlotte!!" is pushing for a new suburban stadium (well hypothetically it may not need to be suburban if there is space closer-in along the Blue Line extension).

But I guess that's still better than an outside owner wanting to move them to a completely different market.
True, if they build a new stadium on that farm in the news report, it wouldn't technically be in Charlotte, but right across the road (Nations Ford Road) from the city, maybe the city will annex it from Pineville!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM

520 posts, read 298,463 times
Assuming the expansion rate of Charlotte continues, the outskirts will also be "the city" by the time the new stadium is approved and finished...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or