U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Back to the topic of infrastructure, I think the Raleigh metro has better infrastructure because the people making the laws and allocating the funding live there. If they lived in Mooresville, you can be sure that I-77 would be in 5 lanes both directions (and none of them tolled).
That makes sense.

Would might be a solution for citizens in the Metrolina area? The other evening, heading north on Mt Holly-Huntersville Road, I crossed over the Brookshire at around 5:30PM. Traffic backed down the Brookshire, for as far as the eye can see. And now they're building a HUGE new development on the corner of Mt Holly-Huntersville & Brookshire.

The City's response is unacceptable. In many sectors across the City, it's clear that citizens don't want new building without substantial improvements to the infrastructure.

The City has heard from it's citizens, and it ignores their will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 PM

289 posts, read 151,766 times
It amazes me that people move to Clt and N.C.and, they know little to nothing about the culture of the state. But that does not stop them from having an opinion. If you have lived in this state for very long and pay attention, you realize that the Clt area is always shortchanged by Raleigh. It doesn’t mater if it is roads, university funding, law schools, med schools, district attorneys and other things. NCDOT plans, funds and builds and widens the interstates and state and US highways in N.C. This is why I277 the Brookshire Freeway is backed up. This is why traffic flows smoothly in RDU. In addition, the Raleigh area does not have anywhere near the 150k daily commuters from outlying counties that Clt absorbs. Raleigh’s city and metro populations are much smaller than Clt. My suggestion is to find out about the culture then make a difference by contacting NC’s state representatives or write a letter to a major N.C. newspaper. By the way, what city is getting the toll roads and toll lanes? I assure you it is not Raleigh.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 PM

917 posts, read 486,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
It amazes me that people move to Clt and N.C.and, they know little to nothing about the culture of the state. But that does not stop them from having an opinion. If you have lived in this state for very long and pay attention, you realize that the Clt area is always shortchanged by Raleigh. It doesn’t mater if it is roads, university funding, law schools, med schools, district attorneys and other things. NCDOT plans, funds and builds and widens the interstates and state and US highways in N.C. This is why I277 the Brookshire Freeway is backed up. This is why traffic flows smoothly in RDU. In addition, the Raleigh area does not have anywhere near the 150k daily commuters from outlying counties that Clt absorbs. Raleigh’s city and metro populations are much smaller than Clt. My suggestion is to find out about the culture then make a difference by contacting NC’s state representatives or write a letter to a major N.C. newspaper. By the way, what city is getting the toll roads and toll lanes? I assure you it is not Raleigh.
1. Traffic does not flow smoothly through RDU. It bottle knecks all over the place. Not saying its as bad as Charlotte but its annoying it can be just as annoying.

2. Greensboro has the best road system in the state for a big city. So it is not some Raleigh directed shunning of Charlotte.

3. The metro populations are not vastly different. Charlotte CSA 2.7m and RDU 2.2 and in about roughly the same land area. All those people just move around the metro in different ways. Charlotte is the central hub where as in the Triangle you have Raleigh as the main hub, Durham, RDU airport, RTP, and then other decent sized population centers as well all mixed up in between like Cary. And all of these areas have commuters driving back and forth like a spaghetti bowl. Live in Durham, work in Raleigh. Live in Raleigh work at RTP. Live in Garner, catching a flight at RDU etc...all crossing eachothers paths constantly instead of mostly focusing in the middle like in Charlotte.

4. You do know 147 and 540 are toll roads in Wake and Durham county dont you....?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
It amazes me that people move to Clt and N.C.and, they know little to nothing about the culture of the state. But that does not stop them from having an opinion.
Everything's a learning curve, even for transplants who're learning the culture of a state and it's people. That said, I am a citizen of NC. Am I not entitled to have an opinion and express it?

I moved 750 miles away from my former home, as it now languishes from the consequences of having little foresight, and poor planning. I have lived through this.

I see Charlotte making some of the same mistakes.

I like Charlotte, and would like to stay here permanently, but I will never again tolerate what I consider to be "quality of life" issues.

Charlotte's young enough that if we change direction in a few areas, we will affect Charlotte's future for the better. But like I said: people in south Charlotte have opposed several new projects, and our elected officials have ignored their wishes. I don't find this pattern encouraging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Charlotte CSA 2.7m
I am not challenging you, but I am surprised to see Charlotte's CSA is pegged at 2.7 million people.[/quote]

Mecklenburg is at 1.1-1.2, so what else do you consider a part of Metrolina? Part of York, Cabarrus, and Gaston? The entire county of Gaston is 226,000. And what is York? 251,000?

I didn't realize that the Charlotte area is home to that many people.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:58 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Everything's a learning curve, even for transplants who're learning the culture of a state and it's people. That said, I am a citizen of NC. Am I not entitled to have an opinion and express it?

I moved 750 miles away from my former home, as it now languishes from the consequences of having little foresight, and poor planning. I have lived through this.

I see Charlotte making some of the same mistakes.

I like Charlotte, and would like to stay here permanently, but I will never again tolerate what I consider to be "quality of life" issues.

Charlotte's young enough that if we change direction in a few areas, we will affect Charlotte's future for the better. But like I said: people in south Charlotte have opposed several new projects, and our elected officials have ignored their wishes. I don't find this pattern encouraging

I am not challenging you, but I am surprised to see Charlotte's CSA is pegged at 2.7 million people.
Mecklenburg is at 1.1-1.2, so what else do you consider a part of Metrolina? Part of York, Cabarrus, and Gaston? The entire county of Gaston is 226,000. And what is York? 251,000?

The Charlotte–Concord Combined Statistical Area (CSA)[5] is a regional population area including parts of North Carolina and South Carolina with a population of 2,632,249 according to the 2016 Census estimates.[6] The aforementioned MSA is the only metropolitan area (as defined since 2012) included in the CSA, but there are two included micropolitan areas: Albemarle and Shelby.

Population (2016 Census estimate)
• Density 951.2/sq mi (367.2/km2)
• Urban 1,249,442
• Metro 2,474,314
• CSA 2,632,249

he wasn't far off and I think we are pushing 2.7mil already honestly. and these numbers are old also.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post

The Charlotte–Concord Combined Statistical Area (CSA)[5] is a regional population area including parts of North Carolina and South Carolina with a population of 2,632,249 according to the 2016 Census estimates.[6] The aforementioned MSA is the only metropolitan area (as defined since 2012) included in the CSA, but there are two included micropolitan areas: Albemarle and Shelby.

Population (2016 Census estimate)
• Density 951.2/sq mi (367.2/km2)
• Urban 1,249,442
• Metro 2,474,314
• CSA 2,632,249

he wasn't far off and I think we are pushing 2.7mil already honestly. and these numbers are old also.
Thanks Choloboy...Even so, I think making Shelby (and Albermarle especially) a part of the Charlotte CSA is a stretch.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:03 PM

21,859 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Thanks Choloboy...Even so, I think making Shelby (and Albermarle especially) a part of the Charlotte CSA is a stretch.
Shelby is the county seat of Cleveland County. Kings Mountain is in both Cleveland & Gaston counties. That's the tie-in.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,184 times
Having lived in both Charlotte and Raleigh, I only can say this:

We are blessed to have two awesome cities in the Old North State.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,766,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayedDream View Post
Having lived in both Charlotte and Raleigh, I only can say this:

We are blessed to have two awesome cities in the Old North State.
Traingle > Wilmington => Asheville > Triad >= Charlotte

Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,208,079 times
Quote:
How does west Raleigh/Cary's infrastructure compare to ours? In parts of Charlotte that were developed post 1970's, if one road goes down, you're out of luck. Yet the network of roads around Cary seemed light years ahead of how we're set up.

Is this in fact true, or is it ignorance on my part?
I think "ignorance on your part" although I wouldn't put it so harshly.

First off Cary is a suburb of Raleigh, so you'd need to compare Cary to Huntersville or Matthews or Concord or somewhere like that.

Secondly, I disagree with your idea of "if one road goes down, you're out of luck". My spouse grew up in Charlotte and he takes a different way to get where we're going every time. Sometimes he goes Brookshire Freeway through the middle of the city, sometimes he goes 485 around, sometimes he goes Independence Blvd and Idlewild. There's all sorts of ways to go.

I can assure you that traffic is crappy around Raleigh at rush hour, too. And yes, we have had multiple lane closures for several years while they repaired I-40 around Raleigh and didn't even widen it (google the Fortify project) and we have toll roads in the Triangle and have had for years.

According to WalletHub, for whatever it's worth, both Raleigh and Charlotte rank in the TOP 25 major cities to drive in out of 100 (#1 being best, #100 being worst). Charlotte came in at 24, Raleigh came in at 10 and Durham at 12. Winston-Salem came in at 7 and Greensboro at 3.

Nobody loves traffic. It might be a little bit worse in Charlotte than it is in Raleigh, but it doesn't hold a candle to the hell of DC traffic (#97) or Atlanta (#70) traffic. I think this is another case of Charlotte and Raleigh are far more similar than they are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte