Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Great to invest near Kannapolis Research Park
Go for it. 4 80.00%
Don't do it! 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM

571 posts, read 714,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Almost everything you wrote here is countered by my two comments above. Kannapolis IS making major changes. Kannapolis IS seeing a surge in population growth. The Research Campus IS gaining traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You said, in regard to the Research Campus, the following:

"As for the research park, I don't know what's going on there."

I stand by my statement that there are better places to invest in real estate than Kannapolis.
Wow! That's how you make your point, but posting only the first half of my sentence and cutting off the rest? Don't you think that's a bit misleading and disingenuous? The rest of my sentence was "but looking at the timeline on this Wikipedia page, it seems that it's still growing. That means new jobs in Kannapolis."

I stand by my posts above that Kannapolis would be a good place to invest. Perhaps you should get some experience beyond the Charlotte region as I have (and as I explained in my posts) and realize that when the right conditions come along, growth can happen in places where it didn't seem possible before. I fully explained why I believe those conditions exist for Kannapolis and pointed to factual data in making that assessment.

Last edited by brichard; 01-14-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Wow! That's how you make your point, but posting only the first half of my sentence and cutting off the rest? Don't you think that's a bit misleading and disingenuous? The rest of my sentence was "but looking at the timeline on this Wikipedia page, it seems that it's still growing. That means new jobs in Kannapolis."
No, not at all, and if your only knowledge of a situation is Wikipedia, you'd be better off not commenting at all.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No, not at all, and if your only knowledge of a situation is Wikipedia, you'd be better off not commenting at all.
That's a pretty lame reaction to the fact that you misrepresented what I wrote before. Also, with regard to the Wikipedia reference, would you care to demonstrate that the information written there about the research park is not true?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty lame reaction to the fact that you misrepresented what I wrote before. Also, with regard to the Wikipedia reference, would you care to demonstrate that the information written there about the research park is not true?
Using Wikipedia as a primary source is lame. And I didn't say it was wrong. But it provides no useful details. How many permanent, full time jobs have been created at the Research Campus? What is the average salary? What percentage of those employees live in Kannapolis? How many jobs were projected to be created by 2018 when the campus was started? What mix of private and public jobs were projected? What is the current mix now? Etc., etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Using Wikipedia as a primary source is lame. And I didn't say it was wrong. But it provides no useful details. How many permanent, full time jobs have been created at the Research Campus? What is the average salary? What percentage of those employees live in Kannapolis? How many jobs were projected to be created by 2018 when the campus was started? What mix of private and public jobs were projected? What is the current mix now? Etc., etc.
Thank you for confirming that you are unable to demonstrate that the Wikipedia information about the research park is inaccurate. The only point I was making, backed up by the Wikipedia article, is that the park is growing and adding businesses. No further details required. These questions you are posing here are irrelevant to that basic point. I was writing a simple post about Kannapolis, not a dissertation on its research park. I guess you're trying to save face, but it's not working, and it's too late.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you for confirming that you are unable to demonstrate that the Wikipedia information about the research park is inaccurate. The only point I was making, backed up by the Wikipedia article, is that the park is growing and adding businesses. No further details required. These questions you are posing here are irrelevant to that basic point. I was writing a simple post about Kannapolis, not a dissertation on its research park. I guess you're trying to save face, but it's not working, and it's too late.
I'm not the one who needs to save face, thats you. Details are required. The reality is there are only a few hundred jobs at the Research Center. Many of those are academics who don't work there full time, but travel down primarily from the Triangle periodically to conduct or oversee research projects. There has been no large scale commercial spinoffs that has resulted in meaningful numbers of private sector employment.

The bottom line is that any real estate investor in Kannapolis should have a full understanding of the economics of the city, and, if counting on the research park to be a meaningful part of that economy, should have more information beyond a short Wikipedia article.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:25 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
I believe that I can agree at least partially with both of you guys. Kannapolis is a long way from being the next Concord. I own a rental in Kannapolis myself. Kannapolis is not experiencing the influx from out of state people that Concird has experienced. Kannapolis is an old mill town. But new developments are being built now on the Kannapolis Parkway. So growth is gradually spreading toward Kannapolis. And Kannapolis will continue to grow. Downtown is on its second gentrification since the fall of Cannon Mills. David Murdock the billionaire created the research campus. I think he still owns much of downtown Kannapolis. So I think Kannapolis will continue to grow and my property will continue to appreciate modestly until the time comes when the more rapid growth overcomes Kannapolis. Then downtown Kannapolis will flourish perhaps more than downtown Concord. Because it will have the help of Murdock. Then my property will appreciate at a more accelerated rate. I think there is some truth in the words of Hugh Mccall who said that for an area to really flourish it’s core must also flourish. But I think this rapid growth is a number of years away.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
What is it you're investing in? Single family? Multi-family? What attracts you to Kannapolis?

Unless there are major changes in Kannapolis, I don't see it ever growing dramatically, or see the demographics improve much. The schools are terrible, and unless that changes, it will greatly impede growth. The Research Campus has failed to gain much traction, and I don't see that changing much. There are much better places to invest than Kannapolis.
I think it's in its early stages of growth.

The City of Kannapolis is wrapping up Phase I of its infrastructure and streetscape project. Phase II will be completed in earl 2019.

West Avenue Streetscape & Infrastructure Phase One Plans Finalized > City of Kannapolis | City of Kannapolis

The Kannapolis Indimidators are getting a new downtown baseball stadium which is slated to open for the 2020 season.

Rowan Cabarrus Community College just broke ground on a $17M, 55,000 sf Advanced Technology Center in the Research Campus.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ter-under.html

Corporate Realty is proposing a $300M downtown project complete with apartments, retail, restaurants, and offices.

http://www.salisburypost.com/2018/01...wn-kannapolis/

If you're going to invest in Kannapolis, better to get in now than wait to see how everything turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte