U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:06 PM

41 posts, read 41,410 times

Advertisements

OP here...

Lots of derailing. Please take it elsewhere.

Regardless, my decision is made and people online are not making up my mind for me. Disappointed that this keeps happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Thank you kindly to the moderator that remove that guy Jay. Much appreciated!

Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Been down here since Thursday. Stayed in a hotel in Concord Mills for two nights and now going to stay with my sibling up the road until Monday. I have been driving around a lot with the GPS set to avoid highways to see what traffic is like. Was in rush hour yesterday leaving the epicenter area on 77. Definitely understand what people say, however, no different than Boston traffic. I see the 2 lane roads like 51, 16, 49 etc and have sat in traffic on them now. Again, understand people's comments on them. Trying to cram a square into a small circle. Just too congested. Plus people don't know how to merge lol. Phones in hand, typical idiots.

All in all, as I've said before, it's not perfect, but no place is. Will continue updating to hopefully help others looking to make the same move.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:44 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,202,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
Been down here since Thursday. Stayed in a hotel in Concord Mills for two nights and now going to stay with my sibling up the road until Monday. I have been driving around a lot with the GPS set to avoid highways to see what traffic is like. Was in rush hour yesterday leaving the epicenter area on 77. Definitely understand what people say, however, no different than Boston traffic. I see the 2 lane roads like 51, 16, 49 etc and have sat in traffic on them now. Again, understand people's comments on them. Trying to cram a square into a small circle. Just too congested. Plus people don't know how to merge lol. Phones in hand, typical idiots.

All in all, as I've said before, it's not perfect, but no place is. Will continue updating to hopefully help others looking to make the same move.

There was also a tractor trailer accident on I77 yesterday that happened at 12:30 and traffic was stilled backed up at 6pm. Traffic is a little better than last night usually.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 PM
NDL

3,148 posts, read 3,620,000 times
Quote:

Since you're in the Charlotte area, is there any other information that this forum can provide in your search for a new home? You did mention an interest in NASCAR, and the below website has listings of local car shows:

https://cruisincarolinamagazine.com/calendar/

FYI: The cruise-in in Oakboro is one of the best in the area.

As to traffic, the main failure here - depending upon where you live - is that if a road goes down, there might not be an alternative. Example: if you live in Clover (SC) and work in Charlotte, you're going to have a helluva time crossing the river, if there are problems on 49.

Keep location in mind when checking out prospective areas.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Since you're in the Charlotte area, is there any other information that this forum can provide in your search for a new home? You did mention an interest in NASCAR, and the below website has listings of local car shows:

https://cruisincarolinamagazine.com/calendar/

FYI: The cruise-in in Oakboro is one of the best in the area.

As to traffic, the main failure here - depending upon where you live - is that if a road goes down, there might not be an alternative. Example: if you live in Clover (SC) and work in Charlotte, you're going to have a helluva time crossing the river, if there are problems on 49.

Keep location in mind when checking out prospective areas.
Hi NDL,

I flew home last night but I do appreciate the additional info. I am heavy into cars myself, so that is certainly of interest to me.

I noted exactly what you said about the traffic - if that's the only route and there's an issue, then that's what you have. Location is certainly key, and with the job situation, I can't quite narrow that down yet. I do like the Pineville/Matthews/Ballantyne area for entertainment, gym, etc but would want to live a bit further out. Just affordability alone would prevent me from those areas especially without solid knowledge of the job situation at the moment.

The owner of my company is on to me though, not in a bad way at all, but he's clearly putting the trips together and my hating of winter. He teased me and said how he knows I'm thinking about moving. He did in a round-about way mention remote work from down there, so I might call his bluff in the near future. I denied it naturally, but this is 100% not your average company, so things like this are not going to get you fired. They don't want me to leave, and I like my job, so if I could take it with me, that'd be ideal. (the work is mostly via computer/cloud based storage - so it certainly is plausible.) If that ended up happening, I would be able to figure out a location without being under the gun of landing a job/ start dates.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:03 PM
NDL

3,148 posts, read 3,620,000 times
Quote:
Location is certainly key, and with the job situation, I can't quite narrow that down yet. I do like the Pineville/Matthews/Ballantyne area for entertainment, gym, etc but would want to live a bit further out. Just affordability alone would prevent me from those areas especially without solid knowledge of the job situation at the moment.
I will DM you

Old 05-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Well, I no longer need to worry about the job search. I will be working remotely for my employer. I really like my job and company so it is a pretty awesome arrangement. I will be moving down around October/November.

Sometimes it pays to trust your gut and explore the opportunities right in front of you. I was not looking forward to having to find job when all I want is to move my location.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Update:

I decided to go to Concord Mills due to more familiarity and more apartments I found suitable. Found a really nice one that suites my needs and then some, right next to where I stayed back in the spring. I move down the end of November and am very excited!

I spoke with quite a few places and had in-depth personal conversations with some of the complex managers. Like anything, it's all about the personality and vibe you give off. I always chuckle at the negativity I read on here. I know my reasons for moving to NC, and am looking what I can contribute to the area. It's an exciting time, but anyone who reads my post, do realize that you need to take these threads with a grain of salt. Lots of opinion, not always much fact, and if you aren't careful, you run through risk of making a decision you will regret, or never make at all. I'm pretty outgoing, but I had no issues talking with different people on any of my trips. Very friendly, happy to chat a while, and it didn't matter what color their skin was or age. Just remember how you come across and keep your expectations reasonable. No place will give you everything, and it's up to YOU to be social and seek out opportunity. Bringing up whrtenyoure from tends to ignite the conversation. I met people who were native to Charlotte, but had family near me in Massachusetts!

Best of luck to anyone who sees this thread and relocates. I'll update after I'm down for a few months.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 PM

1,454 posts, read 997,540 times
Quote:
Update:

I decided to go to Concord Mills due to more familiarity and more apartments I found suitable. Found a really nice one that suites my needs and then some, right next to where I stayed back in the spring. I move down the end of November and am very excited!

I spoke with quite a few places and had in-depth personal conversations with some of the complex managers. Like anything, it's all about the personality and vibe you give off. I always chuckle at the negativity I read on here. I know my reasons for moving to NC, and am looking what I can contribute to the area. It's an exciting time, but anyone who reads my post, do realize that you need to take these threads with a grain of salt. Lots of opinion, not always much fact, and if you aren't careful, you run through risk of making a decision you will regret, or never make at all. I'm pretty outgoing, but I had no issues talking with different people on any of my trips. Very friendly, happy to chat a while, and it didn't matter what color their skin was or age. Just remember how you come across and keep your expectations reasonable. No place will give you everything, and it's up to YOU to be social and seek out opportunity. Bringing up whrtenyoure from tends to ignite the conversation. I met people who were native to Charlotte, but had family near me in Massachusetts!

Best of luck to anyone who sees this thread and relocates. I'll update after I'm down for a few months.
Thank you so much for sharing your update. You have a good positive attitude and the right perspective on moving to a new place. I love that you are excited to contribute to the area and make it a better place to live.

Welcome to Charlotte.. soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or