Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,307 times

Advertisements

I signed up specifically to respond to you. I moved down here from MA in 2013.

I cannot completely relate because we are 40 with no kids and make over $240K last year; I mention that for a reason not to be silly.

If you listened to everyone here, NC is paradise and housing is SOOOO cheap. All that comes with conditions!!! Your user name is Country Livin and your initial post said you wanted 2-10 acres. You realize the Charlotte area is a CITY right? This is not New England. I was tricked by that as well.

OK, you don't have to deal with the winter...love that...but again that comes with ramifications. More bugs, crazy pollen, extremely hot summers to the point you don't want to go hiking.

Simply DO NOT fall for ANYONE who talks about how CLOSE the ocean and mountains are. They are still 2-4 hour drives, on sub-par country roads, consisting of nonsensical left lane drivers going 10 under the limit. We aren't talking 1.5/hrs to NH/VT (where there is space, freedom, and clean air) or 45 min to the Cape with historic homes, clean beaches, and plenty of options (not trashy Myrtle Beach).

Housing. We looked 6 months on a $500K house budget, and still could not find a house with 1+ acres of land, not in a neighborhood, but still close to a commutable distance. You need to move way the heck outside or being in a horrible commute location. If you live uptown your looking at $2K/mo for an apartment. I won't even comment on Concord, why move there? Would you want to move to Chelmsford?

So you like NASCAR? How about the Patriots, Bruins, and RedSox? Well, you need premium services to watch those games, and the people here hate our teams. Nobody to talk to about it! Forget about Sports Radio like 98.5 down here...LOL...third rate...

Dating. Do not discount the dating scene. At your age I suspect you would like to meet people. Well, I will let threads on that subject speak for itself. I heard it can be tough, but I don't known all the circles. This is a family and church oriented area.

People being nice. They may be "nicer" on the surface but they aren't quick at forming those "lasting" relationships. Relationships are defined by ideology. If you are single and they have a family forget it. If they are into church and you are not forget it. If you are blue collar and they are white collar forget it...I won't get into the race thing but that is also another defining factor.

You got it! The weather is much warmer NOV-APRIL. But that comes with negatives as well. Way too hot in the summer to go hiking. The lakes and state and national parks are stupid crowded!!! There are more bugs, crazy pollen, etc. But, I will take the weather over the winters up home any day...however, I certainly struggle with the crowds (especially after driving those 2-4 hrs).

People here will get all upset and you might as well. You truly want to believe this area is for you...Listen it might be!! For others, people innately have a personal bias when it comes to their own situation. Most people will be more positive when talking about their circumstances, even if their kids really do go to subpar NC schools, or have to deal with the things I said above. Read a wide range of threads on traffic, schools, work, dating, etc. Make your own decision and only use what you read here as maybe 5% of your decision. Maybe read articles from other cities to compare the TONE of how people talk, and especially to each other. I noticed a big difference between NC and lets say VT, CO, etc.

Good luck. and if you want to chat email this site and maybe I can give you some details in more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 AM

751 posts, read 921,186 times
I'm pretty sure replies on this site in post after post suggest all of the following: visiting first to get a feel for the area and making sure it's the right fit for you, renting for a year to truly ensure it's for you, a big downside of the area being the long drive to the beach, and the fact that it is very humid for ~2-3 months out of the year.

If you're into the NE sports scene, there are local bars that support it...I know there's a Beantown Tavern in downtown Matthews that's built with a NE sports theme in mind. NASCAR isn't actually talked about much on the local sports radio...honestly it's mainly Panthers, Hornets and ACC College sports.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,234,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation247 View Post
I signed up specifically to respond to you. I moved down here from MA in 2013.

I cannot completely relate because we are 40 with no kids and make over $240K last year; I mention that for a reason not to be silly.

If you listened to everyone here, NC is paradise and housing is SOOOO cheap. All that comes with conditions!!! Your user name is Country Livin and your initial post said you wanted 2-10 acres. You realize the Charlotte area is a CITY right? This is not New England. I was tricked by that as well.

OK, you don't have to deal with the winter...love that...but again that comes with ramifications. More bugs, crazy pollen, extremely hot summers to the point you don't want to go hiking.

Simply DO NOT fall for ANYONE who talks about how CLOSE the ocean and mountains are. They are still 2-4 hour drives, on sub-par country roads, consisting of nonsensical left lane drivers going 10 under the limit. We aren't talking 1.5/hrs to NH/VT (where there is space, freedom, and clean air) or 45 min to the Cape with historic homes, clean beaches, and plenty of options (not trashy Myrtle Beach).

Housing. We looked 6 months on a $500K house budget, and still could not find a house with 1+ acres of land, not in a neighborhood, but still close to a commutable distance. You need to move way the heck outside or being in a horrible commute location. If you live uptown your looking at $2K/mo for an apartment. I won't even comment on Concord, why move there? Would you want to move to Chelmsford?

So you like NASCAR? How about the Patriots, Bruins, and RedSox? Well, you need premium services to watch those games, and the people here hate our teams. Nobody to talk to about it! Forget about Sports Radio like 98.5 down here...LOL...third rate...

Dating. Do not discount the dating scene. At your age I suspect you would like to meet people. Well, I will let threads on that subject speak for itself. I heard it can be tough, but I don't known all the circles. This is a family and church oriented area.

People being nice. They may be "nicer" on the surface but they aren't quick at forming those "lasting" relationships. Relationships are defined by ideology. If you are single and they have a family forget it. If they are into church and you are not forget it. If you are blue collar and they are white collar forget it...I won't get into the race thing but that is also another defining factor.

You got it! The weather is much warmer NOV-APRIL. But that comes with negatives as well. Way too hot in the summer to go hiking. The lakes and state and national parks are stupid crowded!!! There are more bugs, crazy pollen, etc. But, I will take the weather over the winters up home any day...however, I certainly struggle with the crowds (especially after driving those 2-4 hrs).

People here will get all upset and you might as well. You truly want to believe this area is for you...Listen it might be!! For others, people innately have a personal bias when it comes to their own situation. Most people will be more positive when talking about their circumstances, even if their kids really do go to subpar NC schools, or have to deal with the things I said above. Read a wide range of threads on traffic, schools, work, dating, etc. Make your own decision and only use what you read here as maybe 5% of your decision. Maybe read articles from other cities to compare the TONE of how people talk, and especially to each other. I noticed a big difference between NC and lets say VT, CO, etc.

Good luck. and if you want to chat email this site and maybe I can give you some details in more detail.
Couple of things. You do realize that both the NC and SC coasts have many beaches and other areas that are laid back without a lot of crowds. Here's one right here: https://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/. And many Wilmington area beaches are laid back. Same goes for the mountains. I won't get into all the other anecdotes, inaccuracies and misinformation and overall rant that you'd expect from a 14 year old....not a 40 year old.

It's also amazing how people relocate and develop selective memory about the good and a severe case of amnesia about the BS from whence they came.

All that great NE edumacation wasted, then you probably wonder why it's so difficult to make and keep friends...lol.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalSituation247 View Post

Everyone "hate"s those teams because there's so many transplants. Be honest with yourself that everyone hates the Pats, though.

As for the other commentary, it just seems out of touch coming from a 40+ to a 26 year old.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM

60 posts, read 90,263 times
I appreciate the continued posts on this thread and wanted to sit down at my laptop to respond.

I will preface this by saying, despite being young, I have learned through a bad employment a few years ago, that life is never perfect. It was one of the biggest wake-up moments of my life and completely changed my perspective. I sometimes would overlook all the positives and focus on the negatives. Granted some were justified, but this particular bad job made me appreciate the little things. The same goes for finding a place to plant your roots.

I see so many people act like Charlotte is the best place in the world. Having some family that hasn't been the most supportitive of moving (I suspect they don't want me to move lol), many fall into the trap of thinking that where they live is the best place in the world. Instead, I try to look at weather, safety, opportunities and what I can look to get involved in. I'm unhappy with winters, the cost of property/rentals, etc and like what NC seems to offer as a whole. My goal is to continue my work ethic and establish myself to work towards my financial and personal goals.

With sports, I'm a NASCAR guy and that's it. I don't watch other sports and it does not control my life. I went years without watching many races during college because I had to work to pay my way. It will be neat to finally have 5 NASCAR top level tracks within a day's drive. I see so many transplants, so I bet there are a vast array of Pats fans and other teams down there. Heck, even visiting I noted the amount of Patriots decals on the rear windows of cars with NC plates...

I have also continued to research and it looks like Winston-Salem , Greensboro, and Raleigh are places I need to check out as well. For me, NC will work, it's a matter of where I can find a job, find affordable rent and eventually buy a house. I am confident I can make most areas work, it's just landing a good job and being positive and staying motivated. If you ever have read Earl Nightingale... "Acres of Diamonds" comes to mind when I think of finding a place to live.

In terms of dating - there isn't much of a dating scene where I am. I think most suburbs are that way. There is no magic elixur for finding a partner. When I move, I know that I will be working to get involved in activities. That's one of the best ways to meet people.

I will be down there again in Charlotte area in less than a month, so I will be taking a drive out to the Raleigh area for sure.

In terms of radio btw... I listen to SiriusXM NASCAR, stream Dave Ramsey's show, or listen to Texas Country. I don't listen to regular radio, so it definitley is no big deal to me. I also have a subscription to SlingTV, so I am good, will just need good internet.

Last edited by Country Livin 24; 04-15-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
I appreciate the continued posts on this thread and wanted to sit down at my laptop to respond.

I will preface this by saying, despite being young, I have learned through a bad employment a few years ago, that life is never perfect. It was one of the biggest wake-up moments of my life and completely changed my perspective. I sometimes would overlook all the positives and focus on the negatives. Granted some were justified, but this particular bad job made me appreciate the little things. The same goes for finding a place to plant your roots.

I see so many people act like Charlotte is the best place in the world. Having some family that hasn't been the most supportitive of moving (I suspect they don't want me to move lol), many fall into the trap of thinking that where they live is the best place in the world. Instead, I try to look at weather, safety, opportunities and what I can look to get involved in. I'm unhappy with winters, the cost of property/rentals, etc and like what NC seems to offer as a whole. My goal is to continue my work ethic and establish myself to work towards my financial and personal goals.

With sports, I'm a NASCAR guy and that's it. I don't watch other sports and it does not control my life. I went years without watching many races during college because I had to work to pay my way. It will be neat to finally have 5 NASCAR top level tracks within a day's drive. I see so many transplants, so I bet there are a vast array of Pats fans and other teams down there. Heck, even visiting I noted the amount of Patriots decals on the rear windows of cars with NC plates...

I have also continued to research and it looks like Winston-Salem , Greensboro, and Raleigh are places I need to check out as well. For me, NC will work, it's a matter of where I can find a job, find affordable rent and eventually buy a house. I am confident I can make most areas work, it's just landing a good job and being positive and staying motivated. If you ever have read Earl Nightingale... "Acres of Diamonds" comes to mind when I think of finding a place to live.

In terms of dating - there isn't much of a dating scene where I am. I think most suburbs are that way. There is no magic elixur for finding a partner. When I move, I know that I will be working to get involved in activities. That's one of the best ways to meet people.

I will be down there again in Charlotte area in less than a month, so I will be taking a drive out to the Raleigh area for sure.

In terms of radio btw... I listen to SiriusXM NASCAR, stream Dave Ramsey's show, or listen to Texas Country. I don't listen to regular radio, so it definitley is no big deal to me. I also have a subscription to SlingTV, so I am good, will just need good internet.
Absolutely the best perspective and mindset to have towards relocation..indeed there will be tradeoffs, give and get and focus on the gets to appreciate the new town/area. No perfect or really "better" place, just make the best of it. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 PM

Much appreciated! Definitely prevents one from constantly being disappointed as well haha bThank you and will be sure to keep updating

Old 05-07-2018, 06:13 AM

Heading down again on Thursday, looking forward to it.

Does anyone truly have experience finding a job from out of state? If so, how did it go? I'm 27, so I'm no executive level. Not entry level either but still young. I work currently as a project coordinator. It's a small business so I do a lot of different things in addition.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ossmer View Post
Let me ask you Mr. Smarty pants,
Have you ever went deep sea fishing off the MA coast? I was 10 on my first trip, have you ever spent a summer in Portland, ME? How about the Baseball hall of fame? World class motocross races? The best in the world making $10 million a year riding for team KTM. Drive 3 miles from your house and go trout fishing? Almost all of NY and N.E. is full of mountains, to have a pond you need a stream or spring to feed it, unlike the Piedmont dig a hole you have a pond, Yes stinking polluted run off water.
How many times was lake Norman banned for high levels of bacteria last summer? The Piedmont has too much clay and no drainage, that's why you never saw basements here 40 years ago.

Yes, I have spent years at ASU, it's not the same. The climate is not good enough to grow good apples or grapes, otherwise you see the economy taking off.
How about comparing the beaches of Florida's west coast? I've been in the water at Wrightsville beach and had a huge clump of seaweed rap around me. Why the hell? You can't see 2' in the water.
Did you drink out of or eat fish from the Hudson River during youth?...I think that might explain your delusional state of mind. Years of good living in NC can't cure that...bless ya heart.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-07-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,573,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
Heading down again on Thursday, looking forward to it.

Does anyone truly have experience finding a job from out of state? If so, how did it go? I'm 27, so I'm no executive level. Not entry level either but still young. I work currently as a project coordinator. It's a small business so I do a lot of different things in addition.
I didn't read your first post, but you come across as having a great attitude, which is necessary when relocating.

From Massachusetts, the major adjustment you might have to make is in the way of food: Charlotte can hold it's own, but MA is known for it's incredible seafood. Coming from NY, I do miss Italian bakeries to some extent, and the ocean...that I miss most of all.

That said, there's *a lot* that I don't miss.

As to getting employment: I strongly recommend having a Charlotte address on your resume. You can get a Charlotte address by renting a mailbox at a neighborhood UPS store. Once you get contacted from a perspective employer, I would be honest about your living situation. It's a tough situation to be sure, as you're relying on the honesty of a perspective employer's interest in you, to determine if it's worthwhile to drive to Charlotte to interview for a position. That said, the job market in Charlotte is flush with people from other areas, so many people will work with you in arranging an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte