Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM

60 posts, read 91,500 times

Advertisements

Hi!

This has been on my mind for a few years to make a post but I tended to keep holding off. I have a family member who moved to North Carolina a year ago. She recently bought a house in Concord (rented in Pineville prior) with her SO and has a good job related to NASCAR (We're big NASCAR fans). I'm from Massachusetts and hate the winters and have visited and really enjoy Charlotte area. I'm more of a rural leaning guy... something like 2-10 acres, neighbors, but not in a neighborhood - if that makes any sense.

I've been having an internal battle. I have always wanted to relocate (currently 26 y/o) but have held back. I commuted to college, still live at home, but have always paid my own way. Paid off my student loads in barely 3 years, hustling to pay off my vehicle, and am responsible financially. As I keep saving for a house, it's starting to sink in that I am facing a big decision (to me anyways).

I need to move out sooner than later. I would be in a good spot for a down payment ($15-20k) in one more year and have been buckling down to keep saving and also get rid of my car loan this year. I hate discussing this stuff with strangers, but I think info like this is important to help receive guidance/advice.

I am single and don't have baggage and I'm really craving going to warmth, and have liked what I've seen of NC so far. I am going down in another month to visit and also look around myself.

I have a good job here making $50k and it keeps going up, they continue to invest in me, and the owner always says how he doesn't want me to leave. He has discussed some future plans with me as most of the employees are getting towards retirement within 3,5 or 10 years. I've helped bring new perspective and organization as well as the discipline to stick to these newer, more modern procedures. My family has known the owner for decades and it was the personal connection (and me reaching out) that ended up having them bringing me on board and creating a job. I really enjoy working here and they treat us very well. It's a small business but it's nationally recognized in our niche and does very well. I do a bit of everything but mostly project coordination - on top of ordering our product and interfacing with the customers on-site, some light graphic design, filling online orders - it's a small business so I do a lot. Fall of 2018 will be 3 years that I've worked here. That being said, I still can't keep pushing my desires to move away. If I buy a house here and keep making good money, I'll never move, especially if I meet the right person and life starts happening faster, you know?

Job History:

I worked for a company for 1 year out of school and enjoyed it, but the company was starting to really have some tough financial issues. I thankfully was able to find a new job and I found out that layoffs happened within a few months after I left. They had tried to get me to stay, and obviously I felt terrible, but I felt like it was a good move.

After that I worked for a national company and it was horrid. Awful awful job. I was lied to about the job (it was not the best fit for me truthfully), they treated most of the "nice" people like crap and I last only 7 months before I was able to land my current job. 7 other people quit during my time all for the same reasons. It was a hostile work environment and I guess that manager was let go recently. I'm not a job hopper but my first post-college to jobs don't necessarily help the cause lol. (held a retail job through H/S and college for 7.5 years and worked at my college for all 4 years as a bus driver, student manager, and CDL test trainer)

What's making my decision hard is my job and wanting/needing to move out. I'm replaceable. I know that 100%. I tend to feel very guilty with decisions like this, but one of my best friends has known this has been something I've thought a lot about and he keeps saying that I need to do what's best for me. Not my job, no matter how nice they are, the perks, etc. I have multiple friends down in NC now as well and they moved from my town after graduating college. They say I would be a great fit.

If I start getting my ducks in a row this year, I would likely start applying and using whatever connections I could to see I could find for Jobs. I would think winter/spring of 2019 would be my goal to make this move happen. I would plan to rent for 6mos - 1 year to learn the areas first before I bought a house.

Does this sound like a good plan of attack? At the end of the day, I really want to move out next year and I don't see the point in buying or renting here, if my gut keeps telling me to move. It's also tough to think of leaving a good job/people, but I just know I won't be happy and the longer I wait, the higher the probability that I never go through with the move.

Long winded, I know.

Any advice? Am I on the right track to trust my gut?

Last edited by Country Livin 24; 01-15-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
I'd stay in MA. You have a good job, and it sounds like one day you may end up owning the business. Plus, you're close to family and friends, familiar places, etc. I don't think you could make nearly that much money in NC, and although the COL is less, I doubt its that much less.

Last edited by BC1960; 01-16-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd stay in MA. You have a good job, and it sounds like one day you may end up owning the business. Plus, you're close to family and friends, familiar places, etc. I don't think you could make nearly that much money in NC, and although the COL is less, I doubt its that much less.
I see that side as well, I'm just not a fan of the winter here. That's another large part of wanting to move In terms of the company, that is not the case as his son is taking over. The son is the one I refer to as the owner since he's been taking over. It's a great job no doubt buy with immediate family in NC now, I would have family there.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Opportunities exist everywhere for someone like you... you seem to have a good vision and grasp on the big picture. Timing well thought and frankly you may risk "living with regret" should you decide not to make "the leap". As you've mentioned, you shouldn't do anything for anyone else - it has to be about you. You'll have plenty of time to worry about sacrifice and doing for others when you become responsible for little mouths to feed. The Charlotte metro has many great areas to raise a family. Next visit really go into it eyes wide open and think what it would be like planting roots - look for the little things.

In the end, a move would not necessarily be permanent anyway. It's not like you would lose your contacts back home.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM

63 posts, read 125,361 times
I can agree with many points others addressed, but my suggestion is quite different. Now is the time to take risks if you are hungry enough, you will do very well here. There are many opportunites, economy is growing, and development is still taking off. You don't have children? You aren't married? You desire change to make you happy? What are you waiting for?

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

If you are content, then stay.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM

54 posts, read 49,808 times
You could just stay there and go with it. Then..... Or just listen to that gut instinct. Ask the relative if you can use their physical address. That way when asked or hired you already have no problem being there physically. Try to have a couple of things lined up to go stop in or interview for when coming to look for a location to reside in. Also don’t forget while winters are colder there yes it’s cold in NC. Also the summers are also very humid so you trade one for another but you can adjust. AC will be your friend.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Opportunities exist everywhere for someone like you... you seem to have a good vision and grasp on the big picture. Timing well thought and frankly you may risk "living with regret" should you decide not to make "the leap". As you've mentioned, you shouldn't do anything for anyone else - it has to be about you. You'll have plenty of time to worry about sacrifice and doing for others when you become responsible for little mouths to feed. The Charlotte metro has many great areas to raise a family. Next visit really go into it eyes wide open and think what it would be like planting roots - look for the little things.

In the end, a move would not necessarily be permanent anyway. It's not like you would lose your contacts back home.
I appreciate the thoughtfulness! That's my thought at this stage of life as well. Once mouths to feed come into play, you are no longer thinking about just yourself. I will definitely look around deeper this time and the following visits. I have some friends that also suggested meeting up so they can show me in depth.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
I can agree with many points others addressed, but my suggestion is quite different. Now is the time to take risks if you are hungry enough, you will do very well here. There are many opportunites, economy is growing, and development is still taking off. You don't have children? You aren't married? You desire change to make you happy? What are you waiting for?

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

If you are content, then stay.
I agree, I also think the sooner you move, the less the pay hit is. Moving in your 20's vs 30-40's+ typically requires a much larger income.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The True CLT Native Gal View Post
You could just stay there and go with it. Then..... Or just listen to that gut instinct. Ask the relative if you can use their physical address. That way when asked or hired you already have no problem being there physically. Try to have a couple of things lined up to go stop in or interview for when coming to look for a location to reside in. Also don’t forget while winters are colder there yes it’s cold in NC. Also the summers are also very humid so you trade one for another but you can adjust. AC will be your friend.
I can certainly use the address. My sister and I are very close. We don't use AC much at all started home, so I am used to being hot in the summers. I will gladly take that over the crazy cold and snow we get here. Like anything, it's an adjustment 😀

Old 01-22-2018, 10:44 AM

My trip in March is booked to visit my sister. Should be good to explore since I'll have a rental car ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte