U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:13 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,204,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Actually I have. Not only does my niece and nephew go to schools right here in Charlotte (same one my daughter is zone for) but my friends kids go to a school down the road. Been to both.. My sister seriously unimpressed and pulling her kids and my other friend is looking for a private school... We also did tours of the schools so we could keep it as an option. After those tours it was a hard hard no...

To say someone focuses too much on the grades is absurd. Would you rather send your kid to an F school or an A school? How about if you had a choice between a C school and an A school? Right now our choice is a D school that we are zoned for here in Charlotte.
But you don't have any direct experience as in YOUR child has never stepped foot in an NC classroom. So you can't talk about how bad the schools are because you truly don't know. You can say what you HEARD about them because your sister and friend have told you about two schools in the Steele Creeke area. There are a lot more schools in Char Meck and there are 2-3 more counties surrounding Char Meck.

You also talk about how terrible they are and that's from a tour and 2 kids experience and another tour and 1 kids experience. How many kids are enrolled at each school? How many tours have you taken of other schools in the Charlotte area?

Great teachers/administration and parental involvement are what make up a great school. You have to have teachers that care and parents that care. I know because my children actually attend a school in the Charlotte area that has great teachers/administration and has a lot of parental involvement. We want to see our kids succeed so we help however we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:58 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,150,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
But you don't have any direct experience as in YOUR child has never stepped foot in an NC classroom. So you can't talk about how bad the schools are because you truly don't know. You can say what you HEARD about them because your sister and friend have told you about two schools in the Steele Creeke area. There are a lot more schools in Char Meck and there are 2-3 more counties surrounding Char Meck.

You also talk about how terrible they are and that's from a tour and 2 kids experience and another tour and 1 kids experience. How many kids are enrolled at each school? How many tours have you taken of other schools in the Charlotte area?

Great teachers/administration and parental involvement are what make up a great school. You have to have teachers that care and parents that care. I know because my children actually attend a school in the Charlotte area that has great teachers/administration and has a lot of parental involvement. We want to see our kids succeed so we help however we can.

None of that matters because we have no intention of sending her to any of the schools here at any point. We have decided to move back to Fla based on a job offer my husband was given . I watch the news, I see the issues going on at the middle and high school levels here. I wouldn’t want to stay long term and have her endure any of that stuff. While I live in a nice area it doesn’t mean the schools/educational standards are nice.. and sorry but grades matter. Parents can be involved all they want with school activities. At the end of the night they’re not contributing to the quality of content and teaching going on. My 8 year old is nearly on 4 th grade work due to one on one attention, a specialize curriculum and total emersion beyond 4 walls of a D rated school. I don’t care how many hours I would spend at the school it doesn’t change what’s going on in the classrooms.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 2,360,050 times
My prayers go out to Florida.

Three cheers for the OP that shared facts regarding homeschool in the area.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 AM

59 posts, read 149,283 times
This post was meant as informational for people moving to the area that are interested in homeschooling as an option. If this is not something that interests you, then I respect that, but for me and my family homeschool works extremely well. My boys have lots of friends, enjoy their learning journey, are on track to attend college, have great testing scores and are happy. No parent could ask for more!

Blessings,
Brenda

Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 AM

313 posts, read 173,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
None of that matters because we have no intention of sending her to any of the schools here at any point. We have decided to move back to Fla based on a job offer my husband was given . I watch the news, I see the issues going on at the middle and high school levels here. I wouldn’t want to stay long term and have her endure any of that stuff. While I live in a nice area it doesn’t mean the schools/educational standards are nice.. and sorry but grades matter. Parents can be involved all they want with school activities. At the end of the night they’re not contributing to the quality of content and teaching going on. My 8 year old is nearly on 4 th grade work due to one on one attention, a specialize curriculum and total emersion beyond 4 walls of a D rated school. I don’t care how many hours I would spend at the school it doesn’t change what’s going on in the classrooms.
Are you talking about your local middle/high school, or the Charlotte schools in general?

If the latter, what issues are you referring to?

Old 01-20-2018, 09:14 AM

423 posts, read 662,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My son also has CAPD. What grade is your son in now? I'd love to pick your brain to see what's worked along the way for your son.
He is in 5th grade, although we did TK when he was younger (had a feeling something was up but couldn't figure out what it was), so he's a year older than everyone. Definitely message me!

Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,154,343 times
We homeschooled in NC for 10 years. It is one of the reasons we moved here, so that I could afford to stay home for a while. My oldest has Asperger's and the school environment was just not working for him for a number of reasons I don't feel I need to justify.

The other two sons HSed as well and we enjoyed the flexibility as a family for a long time.

Once my oldest son started college, I felt free to go back to work and my younger two are currently in a great public school and are doing great. The transition/adjustment was quite minimal.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbina05 View Post
[b][i]
I

NC LAW:

In this state, homeschools are governed by the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) and we are the only state who has a division like this.
1. File a notice of intent with the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) to operate a homeschool.
2. Teacher must submit proof that he/she has a minimum of a high school diploma.
3. Name your school.
4. Keep attendance records for a minimum of 9 months annually.
5. Students will need to take a nationally standardized achievement test every year.
6. Immunzation records need to be kept up-to-date unless you have a waiver.
NOTE: You do not need to open a school until your oldest child turns seven.

NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE)
1309 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1309
(919) 733-4276
Keeping attendance is the dumbing thing on the list. I refused to do it. My kids were with me all the time. The end.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Are you talking about your local middle/high school, or the Charlotte schools in general?

If the latter, what issues are you referring to?
We all have choices in how to educate our children.

Public
Private
Home

I don't think it is worth getting into a debate about whether you think my choice is valid for you or not.

We have now done homeschooling and public. Both have been the right choice for the times we did them. No regrets. My kids are thriving, that is all that matters.

There are pros and cons to everything.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Keeping attendance is the dumbing thing on the list. I refused to do it. My kids were with me all the time. The end.

Oops, sorry for the typo. That should read dumbest, not dumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or