Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM

59 posts, read 168,965 times

Advertisements

Homeschooling in Charlotte is AWESOME!

My family of 8 (6 sons) moved to Charlotte about 5 years ago and began our homeschool journey! I had no idea just how fortunate we were to have our first homeschool experience in North Carolina.
Charlotte in particular has so many homeschool enrichment, sports and academic programs that I can’t imagine living anywhere else!

The South Charlotte Brace YMCA has an incredible program for preschool to high school, enrichment classes as well as academic, a la carte as well as co-op type formats for older students:
http://www.ymcacharlotte.org/branche...omeschool.aspx

The Homeschool Room is every Charlotte based homeschool families go-to store to locate used curriculum. The Homeschool Room

Njoy Science is a fantastic science program with multiple locations around the Charlotte metro area and serve students from elementary to high school: nJoy Science - Home School Science Education

CHEA Singers is an ALL homeschool choir made up of over 250 singers, performing across 5 individual choirs, between ages 6-19, which meets on Tuesday’s afternoon at Christ Covenant Church in Matthews.
CHEA Singers

There are a large number of Christian as well as Secular support groups and co-ops which host a variety of events throughout the year for homeschool students of all ages ranging from science fairs, geography bees to high school prom.

Local businesses and attractions in the area such as the Great Wolf Lodge, Schiele Museum, Kate’s Skate, The Discovery Museum, Latta Plantation, The Raptor Center, local martial arts, gymnastic, theater and more also host regular/yearly homeschool events that are not to be missed!

If you have any questions about homeschooling in the Charlotte metro area, please don’t hesitate to email me directly: bkresak@gmail.com

Blessings,
Brenda Kresak

NC LAW:

In this state, homeschools are governed by the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) and we are the only state who has a division like this.
1. File a notice of intent with the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) to operate a homeschool.
2. Teacher must submit proof that he/she has a minimum of a high school diploma.
3. Name your school.
4. Keep attendance records for a minimum of 9 months annually.
5. Students will need to take a nationally standardized achievement test every year.
6. Immunzation records need to be kept up-to-date unless you have a waiver.
NOTE: You do not need to open a school until your oldest child turns seven.

NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE)
1309 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1309
(919) 733-4276
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM

607 posts, read 554,767 times
Why would you home-school when your taxes are paying for your child's schooling?

If you don't think the schools do a good job...then you can supplement it at home.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 AM

430 posts, read 804,381 times
Eristic1, I personally don't homeschool, but I can see the appeal if your child has special needs. My son has Auditory Processing Disorder, and we've done well in the school system, but it hasn't been an easy road. I'm lucky our school has some amazing teachers who have really worked with us and stuck to his 504 plan. Sometimes children need more personal attention than they can get in public school when class sizes are large.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM

607 posts, read 554,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Eristic1, I personally don't homeschool, but I can see the appeal if your child has special needs. My son has Auditory Processing Disorder, and we've done well in the school system, but it hasn't been an easy road. I'm lucky our school has some amazing teachers who have really worked with us and stuck to his 504 plan. Sometimes children need more personal attention than they can get in public school when class sizes are large.
I guess my question was more directed to those without special needs.

However, I do think it extends to your situation. While I understand a child can struggle in the mainstream in a large classroom, supplementing that with further instruction at home on top of what's picked up in school, not to mention the hugely important socialization factor, would be the best of both worlds, right?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post

However, I do think it extends to your situation. While I understand a child can struggle in the mainstream in a large classroom, supplementing that with further instruction at home on top of what's picked up in school, not to mention the hugely important socialization factor, would be the best of both worlds, right?
Homeschooled kids do get socialization. They have co-ops and a lot of places in and around Charlotte have days for homeschoolers. I'm not a homeschooler myself as my son also has Central Auditory Processing disorder and my daughter is in a Chinese Immersion Program.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
My son also has CAPD. What grade is your son in now? I'd love to pick your brain to see what's worked along the way for your son.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
I can give an example (one of 50+ why we opted to homeschool)

My daughter attended public school from kindergarten till about 3 months into 1st grade. At the time she often complained how bored she was. They have this thing called "sight words" where they send home 250 words for the kids to remember during the year. They don't learn how to spell the words but simply remember how they look on the paper. At the beginning of the year they test the students to see how man you know. My daughter could read them all. We discovered however she couldn't spell them all. Now I had addressed this issue in kindergarten with her teacher. Over that summer we worked with her and made sure she could spell them all. Come first grade it was a whole new set of words. I brought this up to the administrator at her school in a meeting. I said "my daughter can read all these words but couldn't write a letter to someone if I asked her to". The reply was "we're not asking your daughter to write a letter. We're preparing her for the state standardized tests for 3rd grade. They're multiple choice. She doesn't need to know how to spell the word.. just read it".. She was pulled from public school the next day. This was an A rated school.

We also had a problem with her not being allowed to excel in subjects. By 1st grade she was reading chapter books while the teacher was sending home Dick and Jane books. We brought this up and they tested her reading level by having her read various step books required for 1 st grade. She passed them all too easily and they wouldn't let her move on to to 2nd. They opted instead to have her read and take an online test of the book while the other kids practiced their remedial kindergarten books. It was absurdity. Again one of MANY problems with public school.

We had her pulled and tested with a standardized administered test. Found she was functioning at a 4th-5th grade level in nearly all her subjects. She was a few weeks shy of 7 years old at the time. We customized her lesson plans to help her be where she needed to be (including remedial spelling to catch her up). Shes now a few weeks past 8 years old and finishing up 3rd grade.

Also there seems to be this myth that wont die about homeschool kids and its the anti-socialization myth. Don't get me wrong the craziest ones I've met are here in Charlotte that school with religion over actual school work. Prior to moving to Charlotte (which imo has a very weak homeschooling base. Most are religious and we don't do that. We've encountered several co-ops that require an "oath of faith to join".. no thanks) we had socialization out the ears. My daughter attended 2 science classes a week with about 15 other homeschool kids at the local kids museum, two STEAM classes a week run by two actual scientists, gymnastics and potter class to boot. That didn't include our man field trips, experiences, volunteer hours with various groups and local library weekly programs.

We have yet to find the quality of educational experience we have here in Charlotte as we had in SWFL. One of the big reasons we are moving back in 5-6 months. I wouldn't dream of sending my daughter to any public school here I for some reason had to. Talk about non quality education standards. Yikes.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post

What part of school screams actual socialization? The part where your teacher encourages you to pass notes and talk most of the class? The part where most kids get 15 mins or less of actual recess? The part that requires no talking in line? The part where kids are in a class room 7+ hours a day with people all the same age (you know like the real world?)

I'm not sure where people think public school is the epitome of socialization. My daughter has no special needs what so ever. Homeschooling allows us to have an immensely free weekly schedule. We can schedule more socialization trips in a week than any school child can and we do it all with other homeschoolers. Our group in SWFL was 1,000 kids big and growing. On any given week we were at roughly 7-8 functions (sometimes 2-3 a day) with 20-30 kids per function..of all ages. My daughter can socialize with anyone from toddler to adult age people. When you work are you only immersed with people of your age and education level? My daughter can tell you the workings of a representative democratic government or name every pony in My Little Pony depending on what day you catch her. Know any other 8 year olds naming all the presidents in order and then going back to coloring a coloring book with animals farting? Just another day in the life of a homeschooler...

Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can give an example (one of 50+ why we opted to homeschool)

My daughter attended public school from kindergarten till about 3 months into 1st grade. At the time she often complained how bored she was. They have this thing called "sight words" where they send home 250 words for the kids to remember during the year. They don't learn how to spell the words but simply remember how they look on the paper. At the beginning of the year they test the students to see how man you know. My daughter could read them all. We discovered however she couldn't spell them all. Now I had addressed this issue in kindergarten with her teacher. Over that summer we worked with her and made sure she could spell them all. Come first grade it was a whole new set of words. I brought this up to the administrator at her school in a meeting. I said "my daughter can read all these words but couldn't write a letter to someone if I asked her to". The reply was "we're not asking your daughter to write a letter. We're preparing her for the state standardized tests for 3rd grade. They're multiple choice. She doesn't need to know how to spell the word.. just read it".. She was pulled from public school the next day. This was an A rated school.

We also had a problem with her not being allowed to excel in subjects. By 1st grade she was reading chapter books while the teacher was sending home Dick and Jane books. We brought this up and they tested her reading level by having her read various step books required for 1 st grade. She passed them all too easily and they wouldn't let her move on to to 2nd. They opted instead to have her read and take an online test of the book while the other kids practiced their remedial kindergarten books. It was absurdity. Again one of MANY problems with public school.

We had her pulled and tested with a standardized administered test. Found she was functioning at a 4th-5th grade level in nearly all her subjects. She was a few weeks shy of 7 years old at the time. We customized her lesson plans to help her be where she needed to be (including remedial spelling to catch her up). Shes now a few weeks past 8 years old and finishing up 3rd grade.

Also there seems to be this myth that wont die about homeschool kids and its the anti-socialization myth. Don't get me wrong the craziest ones I've met are here in Charlotte that school with religion over actual school work. Prior to moving to Charlotte (which imo has a very weak homeschooling base. Most are religious and we don't do that. We've encountered several co-ops that require an "oath of faith to join".. no thanks) we had socialization out the ears. My daughter attended 2 science classes a week with about 15 other homeschool kids at the local kids museum, two STEAM classes a week run by two actual scientists, gymnastics and potter class to boot. That didn't include our man field trips, experiences, volunteer hours with various groups and local library weekly programs.

We have yet to find the quality of educational experience we have here in Charlotte as we had in SWFL. One of the big reasons we are moving back in 5-6 months. I wouldn't dream of sending my daughter to any public school here I for some reason had to. Talk about non quality education standards. Yikes.
Your problem is that you focus to much on the grade of the school. If memory serves your child has never set foot in an NC classroom. So YOU don't have any ACTUAL experience of schools in NC.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Your problem is that you focus to much on the grade of the school. If memory serves your child has never set foot in an NC classroom. So YOU don't have any ACTUAL experience of schools in NC.

Actually I have. Not only does my niece and nephew go to schools right here in Charlotte (same one my daughter is zone for) but my friends kids go to a school down the road. Been to both.. My sister seriously unimpressed and pulling her kids and my other friend is looking for a private school... We also did tours of the schools so we could keep it as an option. After those tours it was a hard hard no...

To say someone focuses too much on the grades is absurd. Would you rather send your kid to an F school or an A school? How about if you had a choice between a C school and an A school? Right now our choice is a D school that we are zoned for here in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte