U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 5,711 times

Advertisements

Hi all....Like countless others, contemplating relocating our family of five to the Charlotte area. (Are you tired of these posts yet?!) My husband works from home but needs to be near an airport for twice per month (mostly southeast) travel--he's ok with driving a bit as it's not every day. I would need to look for a new position---I work in healthcare recruiting. He can be based anywhere in the southeast but we have honed in on the Charlotte and Raleigh areas and plan to visit next month to at least get a general feel for both areas. Our kids are currently in 3rd, 5th, and 7th and I imagine will move kicking and screaming! We live in a family friendly suburb with excellent schools and sports programs. My boys love lacrosse in particular. I have a few friends from college who live in the area and recommend Denver, Waxhaw, and Fort Mill....wondering what suggestions you may have as well. I would say we'd like to spend $550K max on a home. Forgive me for the long post and thank you in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:40 AM

314 posts, read 582,812 times
Hi Northeast Mama,

I would definitely want to know where your job will be before choosing an area to avoid a lengthy commute. I think there are a lot of good choices to consider so its always nice to be able to narrow it down as it can be overwhelming! However, since you don't quite know yet, I would suggest also taking a look at Concord (particularly the NW section, Cox Mill School district), I lived there for 10 years when I relocated from the Boston area and it took me about 30 minutes on average to get to the airport. Harrisburg is also known for good schools. Also, the Lake Norman area (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville) are popular as well.
Now I live in Waxhaw and I really like it here too! You could look at Weddington,Marvin areas nearby (all 28173 zip code), I like Matthews as well. For Charlotte people really like the Ballantyne/Blakeney areas (28277) too.
Fort Mill & Indian Land in SC are also very popular.
See? Soooo many options! But maybe plan a few trips to explore and see which appeal most to you. And of course once you know where the job is that will help you narrow it down as well.
I hope I helped and feel free to ask me any other questions you have!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 AM

50 posts, read 27,243 times
Hey, Northeast Mama it sounds like since your husband can work from home. You should be more concerned with you locking in your job first. Then while in that process look at the potential areas to live that can be a compromise for you and your husband. There is another post on working in the hospital in the part of the board in the NC section somewhere. I know thatís not your specialty but itíll help give insight. Also the first commenter listed good areas. You just need an idea as to how close you want to be to the airport your job and what school youíd like your children to attend. Itís all tangible variables.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,711 times
Thank you both—excellent points! I don’t want to be in a situation where I have an outlandish commute. I do currently work for a hospital and will dig around more—thanks again! The hardest part about all of this is timing!

Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Carolina Health Care and Novant are going to be the dig dogs in health care in Charlotte, check out their boards. They have hospitals and clinics all over - not sure where they base HR.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 AM

653 posts, read 514,798 times
I'd recommend renting for a year before buying. There are so many areas around Charlotte and you don't want to get stuck buying a house in an area and then realizing you bought in an area that's not the right fit for you. The rental market in Charlotte is large and there are plenty of options in almost every town that'll fit your needs.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:59 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,464,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastMama View Post
Hi all....Like countless others, contemplating relocating our family of five to the Charlotte area. (Are you tired of these posts yet?!) My husband works from home but needs to be near an airport for twice per month (mostly southeast) travel--he's ok with driving a bit as it's not every day. I would need to look for a new position---I work in healthcare recruiting. He can be based anywhere in the southeast but we have honed in on the Charlotte and Raleigh areas and plan to visit next month to at least get a general feel for both areas. Our kids are currently in 3rd, 5th, and 7th and I imagine will move kicking and screaming! We live in a family friendly suburb with excellent schools and sports programs. My boys love lacrosse in particular. I have a few friends from college who live in the area and recommend Denver, Waxhaw, and Fort Mill....wondering what suggestions you may have as well. I would say we'd like to spend $550K max on a home. Forgive me for the long post and thank you in advance for any input!
I'd recommend Belmont. It has the easiest commute into Charlotte, it's the closest suburb to the airport, it's a very pretty well-kept small town, walkable, great downtown, sits on Lake Wylie and the Catawba River, safe, very affordable with homes in many price ranges, and it's growing at a slower, much more healthy rate compared to other areas. I'd avoid Union County (Waxhaw) and I-77 north if you plan to commute into Charlotte. The traffic from those areas is horrific. Housing prices in Union Co. are the highest in the Charlotte area. With 100 being the national average, metro Charlotte is 88.03. By county: Union 110, Mecklenburg 98, York (SC) 88, Cabarrus 86, Iredell 81, Lancaster (SC) 74, Lincoln 73, Rowan 71, Gaston 60, Cleveland 51. As a point of reference, Boston's metro is 226.87. By county: Middlesex 245, Suffolk 242, Norfolk 230, Essex 203, Plymouth 178. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or