Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
To address the OP's question about a center in SouthEnd: It is still coming together. Here is what is finishing up in the next 2 years.
Great post. At one point, there was a rumor that some sort of connectivity would be made to Publix..have you heard anything about that?

Last edited by NDL; 01-22-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah like i said it looks great. Ive been through there a few times as i have an aunt and little cousin that live down there but my actual experience is very limited in comparison to spending many a evening in the Warehouse District.
Fair enough, and I apologize to you and others with regards to some of my previous statements in this thread. Raleigh is a cool place to visit.

However, I don't think the Warehouse District (a 6 block section of downtown Raleigh) should be compared to South End. As of 2017, ALL of downtown Raleigh had a population of 8,200 (according to a Raleigh Connoisseur's report). In 2017, South End had a population of 9,113 (according to a Charlotte Observer report).

Is it really fair to compare a section of dt Raleigh to a neighborhood in Charlotte that's more populated than all of dt Raleigh (and growing faster, and is bisected by trains that run every 10 mins)? I ask this without any hatred towards Raleigh. It's just a really strange comparison.

However, there are some really neat warehouse rehab stories in dt Asheville that would make for a GREAT comparison.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Great post. At one point, there was a rumor that some sort of connectivity would be made to the Publix..have you heard anything about that?
I know the Atherton Mill development will be building a path from Tremont connecting to Publix along the rail trail. That should shorten the walk for residents of Spectrum South End to about a 10 minute walk to Publix and you won't have to walk on busy South Blvd.

CATS is trying to secure funding to put a station in at Tremont. The station would allow a crossing from one side of the rail to the other, connecting Spectrum South End / Sycamore Brewing, to Atherton Mill / Publix.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Fair enough, and I apologize to you and others with regards to some of my previous statements in this thread. Raleigh is a cool place to visit.

However, I don't think the Warehouse District (a 6 block section of downtown Raleigh) should be compared to South End. As of 2017, ALL of downtown Raleigh had a population of 8,200 (according to a Raleigh Connoisseur's report). In 2017, South End had a population of 9,113 (according to a Charlotte Observer report).

Is it really fair to compare a section of dt Raleigh to a neighborhood in Charlotte that's more populated than all of dt Raleigh (and growing faster, and is bisected by trains that run every 10 mins)? I ask this without any hatred towards Raleigh. It's just a really strange comparison.

However, there are some really neat warehouse rehab stories in dt Asheville that would make for a GREAT comparison.
Mmmm no maybe not a fair comparison, or a direct one. Maybe South End would make more sense being compared to a more northern end of DTR. In 2016 10k people lived with a mile radius of the Capitol Building. So perhaps more around the Seaboard District makes more sense? Even then alot of those city neighborhoods are just hitting their stride for development as is the rest of downtown Raleigh. South End has been established for much longer. I believe that for everything Charlotte. Why try to make a direct comparison? Charlotte has been booming for way longer then Raleigh. Never understood why something Raleigh has good about it is made to seem insignificant compared to Charlotte because Charlottes is more developed or has more numbers. Of course it does.

So with that said, moving away from the actual comparison, South End is a hotbed. NoDa is a hotbed neighborhood though it seems like on a smaller but more unique scale. And the Warehouse District is one of Raleighs hottest downtown districts. All thriving. All probably providing a little bit different flavor. Just from looking at it potential wise, i feel like the Warehouse district has the opportunity to be "more." But that doesnt lessen South End or NoDa. Nor should the fact that more people live in South End make the warehouse district unworthy of discussion.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
I forgot that in addition to being able to explore the neighborhoods I previously mentioned along the light rail, that once the Gold Line Extension is complete, you will be able to explore Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood without jumping in a car if you live along the light rail. Just take the train to Charlotte CTC/ Arena station and then connect to the Gold Line. The Gold Line phase 2 will terminate on the western edge of Plaza Midwood and you'll be a 5 - 12 minute walk from the various restaurants and bars in that neighborhood.

Gold Line info: Phase 2

CATS is also moving more quickly now to plan and build the Silver Line out to Matthews. Once complete, you could visit Bojangle's Coliseum and Downtown Matthews without getting in your car.
Silver Line

Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 PM

459 posts, read 373,282 times
Raleigh's TTA Commuter Rail will extend for 37 miles and connect Garner, Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville/RTP, Durham, Duke area so you have some of the coolest places to entertain yourself such as DPAC/American Tobacco Campus in Durham or whatever crazy things are going in Chapel Hill. It will bisect the Durham/Orange Light Rail so can you can get off at Duke and take the Light Rail to Chapel Hill. The Bus Rapid Transit System will also ensure a greater carless coverage around Raleigh.

This is already approved and bear fruit in a few years. Both Raleigh or Charlotte will have decent carless life styles from now on. If you can afford it that is.

So let's see Charlotte485/Urban will rail against this--get it? Rail!! I'll see myself out.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Never understood why something Raleigh has good about it is made to seem insignificant compared to Charlotte because Charlottes is more developed or has more numbers.
Hey, I never said that the Warehouse District was insignificant. It's just very difficult to compare a district of old refurbished warehouses (filled with art galleries and such) to a residential new apartment strip of transit oriented development. There are some old warehouses near East/West Blvd station in South End. It still doesn't compare to the level of historic preservation that you'll find in Raleigh's warehouse district.

Warehouse District = historic, charming, human scale, low density, built by local businesses

South End = new, big block developments, high density, built with a TON of corporate dollars

What is there to compare?

Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Hey, I never said that the Warehouse District was insignificant. It's just very difficult to compare a district of old refurbished warehouses (filled with art galleries and such) to a residential new apartment strip of transit oriented development. There are some old warehouses near East/West Blvd station in South End. It still doesn't compare to the level of historic preservation that you'll find in Raleigh's warehouse district.

Warehouse District = historic, charming, human scale, low density, built by local businesses

South End = new, big block developments, high density, built with a TON of corporate dollars

You're just a Raleigh hater. Keep it real.

Both of these cities are home to me. They have their issues, but they're nice as hell compared to many other US cities. Stop telling half truths on the board will ya.. Raleigh and Charlotte are roughly the same size. Charlotte has pro sports, big everything, and light rail... Charlotte is cool, Raleigh just happens to be a little hipper because of the colleges that's all. However Charlotte knows how to conduct big business. Be proud!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:

Yeah i can pretty much agree with that. It'll be interesting the transformation that transit focus will also bring to the warehouse district with Union Station opening. The dillon project is already going to bring a ton of people to live in that area. More density is planned and may end up making it THE place to live downtown.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
In the Raleigh forum, I see people frequently mention the Raleigh Warehouse District. The description of that area sounds a lot like South End in Charlotte, and perhaps NoDa. I have some familiarity with South End and NoDa, but I haven't been in Raleigh in about 25 years, so I am not familiar with their Warehouse District at all. Can someone who is familiar with Raleigh's Warehouse District and Charlotte's South End and NoDa compare and contrast?

My thoughts about the Charlotte districts are this: South End has a lot going on, and it's a fairly large area, but there is no core to it. It's missing a plaza or other unifying focal point that tells you that you are in the middle of it. It seems people come to the area with a specific destination in mind, and they go directly to their intended destination but nowhere else, so you don't see people out and about on the street. I was there on a recent Saturday afternoon, and there was not much of a vibe from what I could see. NoDa, in contrast, does have that focal point and so there is an energy there and people are out and about. But it's a really small district of only a few blocks. Does the Raleigh Warehouse District resemble either South End or NoDa in any of these respects? Is it vibrant like NoDa or quiet on the outside like South End. Is it small like NoDa or large like South End?

I'm posting this both here and in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary forum. I'm interested in all perspectives from anyone who knows these districts in both cities.

As someone who visits Raleigh and Charlotte frequently, perhaps I can weigh in.

Charlotte:

South End - Is a very large area, miles and miles, and it seems to have the largest amount of "stuff" that Charlotte offers as far as nightlife goes. It is a bit spread out still, on the borderline of what I'd call walkable at times, but it's filling in rapidly and always has more each time, and I expect the walkability to improve. I'm sure a 'nucleus' will develop eventually. Wooden Robot is one of my favorite breweries in the state, by the way.

Uptown - With the exception of a few nooks and crannies like Brevard Court, it's a bit of a 9-to-5 zone. Newer generations of buildings designed to be mixed use are improving this slowly.

NoDA - It is very funky and cool, and sadly only a few blocks as you said. Love that Crepe shop though.

Are there other areas? I don't actually know.

Raleigh:

Hillsborough Street - Raleigh's equivalent to South End, in some ways. The stretch by NCSU has always had trouble retaining quality businesses. Some staples have managed to survive like Mitch's, Cup-A-Joe, and Raleigh Brewing Company.

Downtown - Most of what Raleigh has is in downtown itself. Glenwood South, Fayetteville Street, the Warehouse District are all merely downtown neighborhoods, a few blocks each. But they're all semi-contiguous so it is a large urban walkable environment in total. The Warehouse District has a nice collection of historic buildings for a NC city, but it was the last to feel the revitalization, and sat quiet with the other two areas getting all the attention at first. In the long run this will clearly become the largest of the three, though.

Peace Street/Seaboard Station - Technically also part of downtown, but there is a large dead zone caused by the governmental complex between this area and the rest.

Five Points - Raleigh's even smaller version of NoDA, kind of.

Last edited by Vatnos; 01-22-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte