U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:20 PM

913 posts, read 484,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
If more people visit and spend money in Atlanta/New Orleans, that doesnt mean "X Atlanta/New Orleans neighborhood cant be related to Y Charlotte neighborhood."

Sounds silly when we apply your logic to cities with stronger visitor spending than Charlotte doesn't it?
No not at all lol. How does visitor spending for a city as a whole mean different neighborhoods or districts cant be compared?? If you want to know the walkability, nightlife, restuarants, culture, vibe etc etc of a certain neighborhood the answer isnt "well Charlotte has more visitor spending so therefore every neighborhood automatically excels more at every aspect." NoDa might be way cooler then X neighborhood in Atlanta for example. But because ATL has more visitor spending that makes it impossible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,989,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
No not at all lol. How does visitor spending for a city as a whole mean different neighborhoods or districts cant be compared?? If you want to know the walkability, nightlife, restuarants, culture, vibe etc etc of a certain neighborhood the answer isnt "well Charlotte has more visitor spending so therefore every neighborhood automatically excels more at every aspect." NoDa might be way cooler then X neighborhood in Atlanta for example. But because ATL has more visitor spending that makes it impossible?
They can be compared but certainly not at a one-to-one ratio

Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,436,437 times
Quote:
YES it is! And before you attempt to argue again, look up the visitor spending of Meck county vs the visitor spending of Wake + Durham + Orange counties combined. That comparison alone will probably shock you...

I understand that you're proud of Raleigh. However, I'd NEVER call Charlotte a 1 to 1 comparison to a city with 2.5 times more visitor spending. You may want it to be a 1/1 deal, but I can show you numbers from both chamber of commerces that would make your arguments look quite silly. I'd rather not do that because lately you've been one of the more sensible posters from your area.
While I live in Chapel Hill, not Raleigh proper, I visit every city in the state quite frequently. In fact I make it out to Greensboro and Winston-Salem more often than Raleigh these days, due to the nature of my hobbies. I could easily see myself living in any city in the state quite comfortably.

Charlotte gets 10x as many business visitors, if not more, and has a larger presence of chain retail in and around its core. That's great and all. Economically no argument that it isn't a larger city. You're a one man chamber of commerce and I've noticed you love throwing those types of numbers around. Those numbers will say nothing about how much retail is local, how much of it is quality, and what the actual walkability and coverage of nightlife areas is.

That's something you can only gauge for yourself by visiting the cities. It feels pretty comparable to me. Not identical, because it's laid out differently of course. I answered the OP's question about what the warehouse district was and how it compares... and I'm ready to move along before this turns into yet another Raleigh vs Charlotte thread.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
They can be compared but certainly not at a one-to-one ratio
Why not? NoDa is a smaller neighborhood right? Why couldnt that be compared 1 to 1 to a smaller neighborhood from Atlanta or New Orleans or Raleigh? Visitor spending for the entire city wouldnt have anything to do with it...

Old 01-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
While I live in Chapel Hill, not Raleigh proper, I visit every city in the state quite frequently. In fact I make it out to Greensboro and Winston-Salem more often than Raleigh these days, due to the nature of my hobbies. I could easily see myself living in any city in the state quite comfortably.

Charlotte gets 10x as many business visitors, if not more, and has a larger presence of chain retail in and around its core. That's great and all. Economically no argument that it isn't a larger city. You're a one man chamber of commerce and I've noticed you love throwing those types of numbers around. Those numbers will say nothing about how much retail is local, how much of it is quality, and what the actual walkability and coverage of nightlife areas is.

That's something you can only gauge for yourself by visiting the cities. It feels pretty comparable to me. Not identical, because it's laid out differently of course. I answered the OP's question about what the warehouse district was and how it compares... and I'm ready to move along before this turns into yet another Raleigh vs Charlotte thread.
My dude you thought that South End was the hot spot in the city and you knew nothing about epicenter and the Music Factory area. The parts that you mentioned in your long post was less than 50% of the night spots in Charlotte so you're basically saying that 50% feels comparable to your 100% knowledge of Raleigh. Think about it....

For the record I'm a black male. With that said, I'd much rather party in certain spots in Durham. Heck, it's Durham that has your area's Juneteenth Festival. Charlotte's is in Plaza Midwood. That's my point. Blumenthal and Knights Theatre are BOTH in Uptown Charlotte. In the Triangle, you have one in dt Raleigh and the bigger one (DPAC) in dt Durham. Again, that was my point. PNC arena is in west Raleigh; Durham Bulls are in dt Durham. In Charlotte, BOTH are uptown. Do you see a trend yet?

There are NUMEROUS similar examples that follow that same exact trend. Raleigh is NOT the central city of your area which is why so many amenities are split.

Here's the deal. Raleigh's cool with me. Durham is even better IMO. Let's just leave it at that....

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-23-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
My dude you thought that South End was the hot spot in the city and you knew nothing about epicenter and the Music Factory area. The parts that you mentioned in your long post was less than 50% of the night spots in Charlotte so you're basically saying that 50% feels comparable to your 100% knowledge of Raleigh. Think about it....

For the record I'm a black male. With that said, I'd much rather party in certain spots in Durham. Heck, it's Durham that has your area's Juneteenth Festival. Charlotte's is in Plaza Midwood. That's my point. Blumenthal and Knights Theatre are BOTH in Uptown Charlotte. In the Triangle, you have one in dt Raleigh and the bigger one (DPAC) in dt Durham. Again, that was my point. PNC arena is in west Raleigh; Durham Bulls are in dt Durham. In Charlotte, BOTH are uptown. Do you see a trend yet?

There are NUMEROUS similar examples that follow that same exact trend. Raleigh is NOT the central city of your area which is why so many amenities are split.

Here's the deal. Raleigh's cool with me. Durham is even better IMO. Let's just leave it at that....
Idk man sometimes you sound pretty reasonable and other times you seem like your goal in life is to just make sure no one can over compare ANYTHING between Raleigh and Charlotte. Whatever it takes to put Raleigh in its place ha. This was thread simply comparing neighborhoods, not cities. It went from the Warehouse District vs NoDa and South End to everything in Charlotte is in Charlotte so therefore the two areas cant be compared? How and why?? Just because some have commented they prefer the warehouse district? Or why was Durham brought into this in the first place other then just as another reason to put down Raleigh? I dont get it.

And just for the record. Nothing you said was any news to anybody. Raleigh is not the CENTRAL city in our area but it is the MAIN city. The difference between Raleigh and Charlotte is that for one, this whole area started booming way later then Charlotte has, and secondly the other cities in the Triangle besides Raleigh are pretty significant. Charlotte doesnt have a Durham, or a Chapel Hill or even a Cary. Besides maybe Concord, theres not much else thats going to pull amenities out of central Charlotte.

Durham is its own city so its going to have its own amenities and pros and cons. Its a great place and underrated in my eyes and it seems your eyes as well. Im a black male also but i gotta say i dont quite understand the relevance to bringing that up. Durham has Juneteenth, ok...Raleigh also has the African American Cultural Festival that brings 40k people into basically just the Fayetteville District each year. It has lots of places to hang if black cultural is specifically what you are looking for. And it also has a vast amount of festivals and events going on for pretty much every walk of life. Usually multiple a month during the summer. Durham has the DPAC and the Bulls, those are highnotes for its downtown. Thats great. Idk how any of that is supposed to be a knock against Raleigh. A lot of the stuff you want to point and laugh at Raleigh for not having in its downtown core yet are coming. Again this area is blooming very late.

I guess just the difference that i keep harping on is that in the Triangle its just built differently then Charlotte or other one city metros. Raleigh is without a doubt the big anchor for the area but Durham/CH and all the other towns play a good part as well and for the most part are connected and work together. That doesnt make everything as centrally located all the time sure, but it doesnt always mean comparisons cant be made with centrally built cities. Raleigh isnt some sleepy little town anymore so some of its neighborhoods and districts have every right to be compared to other cities if there are factors worth comparing. Doesnt matter if the other city is bigger or smaller. Same goes for Charlotte.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Lol all of THAT simply because I stated that I prefer Durham....

Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Stating you like somewhere better is fine. But when u do it completely unrelated to the topic to throw shade yet again at Raleigh, it seems suspect.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:58 PM
NDL

3,113 posts, read 3,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I know the Atherton Mill development will be building a path from Tremont connecting to Publix along the rail trail. That should shorten the walk for residents of Spectrum South End to about a 10 minute walk to Publix and you won't have to walk on busy South Blvd.

CATS is trying to secure funding to put a station in at Tremont. The station would allow a crossing from one side of the rail to the other, connecting Spectrum South End / Sycamore Brewing, to Atherton Mill / Publix.
Thanks for the informative post. Hopefully they'll get that funding, so that light rail riders will have access to Publix, with Lowe's across the street (light rail use is practical when purchasing smaller items).

Do you know if and how the light rail will connect with the shopping in University City? For as much as I am not a fan of big box stores, they have their place, and how great it would be to have access to shopping, without ever having to use a car.

Quote:
What do you like about Durham? It's a City that I soon hope to visit...

Old 01-24-2018, 02:38 AM
DPK

3,524 posts, read 3,809,389 times
It's definitely been interesting to read the responses here and over in the Raleigh forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte