U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:37 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,025,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
What do you like about Durham? It's a City that I soon hope to visit...
The food scene there is really amazing. And you have the Performing arts and minor league baseball next door to each other downtown. There's also the vibe of Duke and NC Central. And then there's the women Lol. IMO, the type of woman that I like to see attend schools like Central (my wife got her masters from Central by the way). For its size, Durham has a lot going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM

570 posts, read 544,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Like I said, this thread was created with an agenda. All you have to do is say the right combination of catch phrases, and the true minds behind this thread will show themselves. I can shake a troll tree with the best of them.
Excuse me??? I am from North Carolina. I used to live in Charlotte. I am very familiar with South End and NoDa because I've visited both places numerous times, and I have kept up with the news in Charlotte ever since I left there many years ago. I still come to Charlotte a couple times a year. I live on the West Cost now. My parents are now in their 80s. I would like to be back in NC to be closer to them. I have been living in vibrant, walkable neighborhoods for many years now. I would like to do the same if I could move back to NC. Based on that I am trying to determine which city would be best in offering that to me. THAT is the purpose of this thread. I know Charlotte but I DON'T know Raleigh. I posted this thread both in this forum and the Raleigh forum and specifically asked people who are familiar with these neighborhoods in both cities to respond. I did this with the purpose of hopefully getting HONEST answers about how the neighborhoods compare. I didn't post here seeking Chamber of Commerce propaganda, which seems to be all you have to offer. You have a lot of nerve calling me a troll. If you're that sensitive about any imperfections in your city, perhaps this is not a good conversation for you to be involved in. Cities become better by recognizing their flaws and then addressing them, and recognizing where other cities might have an advantage, and figuring out how they can narrow the advantage. To those of you who are mature enough to give honest assessments, I appreciate your responses very much. I am reading your comments and using them to further my research. I appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Respectfully, I disagree with you about the OP; they have been posting for quite some time. I am interested in the comparison between Cities, or would you prefer another "we're relocating to Charlotte and need advice" thread?
Thank you. I have been posting in this forum for at least 10 years. If you look at my posting history, the vast majority have been in the Charlotte forum. I am incensed that this person is calling me a troll.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,025,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Excuse me??? I am from North Carolina. I used to live in Charlotte. I am very familiar with South End and NoDa because I've visited both places numerous times, and I have kept up with the news in Charlotte ever since I left there many years ago. I still come to Charlotte a couple times a year. I live on the West Cost now. My parents are now in their 80s. I would like to be back in NC to be closer to them. I have been living in vibrant, walkable neighborhoods for many years now. I would like to do the same if I could move back to NC. Based on that I am trying to determine which city would be best in offering that to me. THAT is the purpose of this thread. I know Charlotte but I DON'T know Raleigh. I posted this thread both in this forum and the Raleigh forum and specifically asked people who are familiar with these neighborhoods in both cities to respond. I did this with the purpose of hopefully getting HONEST answers about how the neighborhoods compare. I didn't post here seeking Chamber of Commerce propaganda, which seems to be all you have to offer. You have a lot of nerve calling me a troll. If you're that sensitive about any imperfections in your city, perhaps this is not a good conversation for you to be involved in. Cities become better by recognizing their flaws and then addressing them, and recognizing where other cities might have an advantage, and figuring out how they can narrow the advantage. To those of you who are mature enough to give honest assessments, I appreciate your responses very much. I am reading your comments and using them to further my research. I appreciate the help.

Thank you. I have been posting in this forum for at least 10 years. If you look at my posting history, the vast majority have been in the Charlotte forum. I am incensed that this person is calling me a troll.
I've already apologized in this thread about the comment you quoted. I guess you missed it....
Quote:
Fair enough, and I apologize to you and others with regards to some of my previous statements in this thread. Raleigh is a cool place to visit.
And to be honest, I'm a well traveled non native of NC. In my personal opinion, you should look at cities like Charleston. I really don't care about the flaws you see in Charlotte or any other city because the word "flaw" is 100% subjective. You seem to be interested in walk-ability, street life, and historic structures correct? If so, Asheville and Charleston are more of your speed. 99.9% of city-data members nationally would agree with me on that.

If you do not wish to adhere to any of my advice, here are two others on this thread who share my same thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
This statement makes me think neither Charlotte nor Raleigh are a good fit for you. Both are prime examples of sprawling cities. Look at aerial pictures of both cities. The vast majority of residents in both cities will live suburban lifestyles and be jumping in their car to go to work, run errands, etc... Look at the commuting statistics for example:

Raleigh: 78% drive alone, 10% carpool, 8% work at home, 2% take public transit, 1.5% walk to work
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/ralei...transportation

Charlotte: 78% drive alone, 10% carpool, 6% work at home, 4% take public transit, 2% walk to work
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/charl...transportation

If you know you will be compromising what you are used to, there is walk ability in both cities. It just isn't going to feel like a booming metropolis where there are lots of people on the street 24/7. Charlotte will have more light rail to connect you to more neighborhoods, where in Raleigh you'll be limited to your immediate downtown surroundings before you have to jump in the car. In both cities, you are going to find the vast majority of people in the area are used to going in a car for errands.

This is a good thread on walk ability: Walkable areas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Agree completely. But, I will also say that between the light rail, streetcar and the walkability and presence of grocery stores and other retail in Uptown and Southend, Charlotte is far more what you're looking for than Raleigh.
Both of these posts were spot on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I am incensed that this person is calling me a troll.
It's a known fact that when we humans are called something negative (that we're not) we can often have emotional reactions. You're guilty of this and so am I. With that said, I'd like to extend my sincere apology to you. Just understand that I've been posting here and on other sites for years too. Unfortunately in that time, I've encountered SEVERAL of the chamber of commerce types from Raleigh who like to throw Charlotte under the bus. That history is why I come back at them so hard with videos and stats that defend Charlotte against their immature games. Your thread got caught in that cross fire and we ALL should really knock that mess off. Again, I'm sorry...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-24-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
As someone who visits Raleigh and Charlotte frequently, perhaps I can weigh in.

Charlotte:

South End - Is a very large area, miles and miles, and it seems to have the largest amount of "stuff" that Charlotte offers as far as nightlife goes. It is a bit spread out still, on the borderline of what I'd call walkable at times, but it's filling in rapidly and always has more each time, and I expect the walkability to improve. I'm sure a 'nucleus' will develop eventually. Wooden Robot is one of my favorite breweries in the state, by the way.

Uptown - With the exception of a few nooks and crannies like Brevard Court, it's a bit of a 9-to-5 zone. Newer generations of buildings designed to be mixed use are improving this slowly.

NoDA - It is very funky and cool, and sadly only a few blocks as you said. Love that Crepe shop though.

Are there other areas? I don't actually know.

Raleigh:

Hillsborough Street - Raleigh's equivalent to South End, in some ways. The stretch by NCSU has always had trouble retaining quality businesses. Some staples have managed to survive like Mitch's, Cup-A-Joe, and Raleigh Brewing Company.

Downtown - Most of what Raleigh has is in downtown itself. Glenwood South, Fayetteville Street, the Warehouse District are all merely downtown neighborhoods, a few blocks each. But they're all semi-contiguous so it is a large urban walkable environment in total. The Warehouse District has a nice collection of historic buildings for a NC city, but it was the last to feel the revitalization, and sat quiet with the other two areas getting all the attention at first. In the long run this will clearly become the largest of the three, though.

Peace Street/Seaboard Station - Technically also part of downtown, but there is a large dead zone caused by the governmental complex between this area and the rest.

Five Points - Raleigh's even smaller version of NoDA, kind of.
Thank you for this. You have given me EXACTLY the context I'm looking for. This is so much on point. I'm trying to imagine the Raleigh neighborhoods with the context of the Charlotte neighborhoods -- how they are similar, how they are different, where they are headed. And you spelled it out for me. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
So I think it's more suitable to compare Raleigh by itself, as the biggest of the three, with Charlotte. And I'd say Raleigh alone is a pretty 1-to-1 comparison. Charlotte has tall buildings and a larger population in its downtown of course, but the amount of urban retail space with local establishments in it is similar between the two cities. Charlotte's is more concentrated in its urban spokes, while Raleigh's urban spokes are a bit further behind, but its downtown has more. It's a tradeoff.
Exactly. And I'm trying to weigh the trade-offs which is a very subjective thing. It comes down to personal preferences in the end.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte are roughly the same size. Charlotte has pro sports, big everything, and light rail... Charlotte is cool, Raleigh just happens to be a little hipper because of the colleges that's all. However Charlotte knows how to conduct big business. Be proud!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
To address the OP's question about a center in SouthEnd: It is still coming together. Here is what is finishing up in the next 2 years.

The center of SouthEnd will start to focus on Camden Street, stretching from the north to the south. Camden is preferable for a pedestrian district as it is less car focused. South Blvd is never going to be able to be very pedestrian focused - it is a state owned route and there is simply too much traffic as a major thoroughfare.

At the north end of Camden, at 1414 Tryon St, the Rail Yard is under construction. This development has a central gathering place / plaza that will be open to the public. Right across the street from this development you have popular bars and restaurants like Tavern on the Tracks, Hot Taco, All American Pub, Oak Room, Slate Charlotte, The Gin Mill, etc... The Bland St Light Rail station will serve this cluster. Wooden Robot will be just next to the Rail Yard.
https://beacondevelopment.com/proper...3/the-railyard

Then as you move just .1 miles south you have the Dimensional Place development which will have ground floor retail leading you down Camden Road. The Charlotte Art League, Trolley Museum, Elder Gallery of Contemporary Art, etc... will remain across the street from Dimensional Place on Camden. Futo Buta and Crispy Crepe are just across the light rail and rail trail by walking through the Bland Station stop.
https://www.mpvre.com/properties/dimensional-place/

As you cross Park Ave to the south, the light rail flanks the Eastern side of Camden. On the west you have Price's Chicken Coop, fidelli kitchen, Clean Juice, 704 Shop (clothing/lifestyle), and Leroy Fox South End (restaurant).

The next stretch clusters around East/West Station includes Central Coffee Co, Blaza Pizza, Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop, Blue Hem (clothing), and The Ultra Running Company (clothing). You also have some services like Rite Aid, The UPS Stroe, hair salons, etc...

Just south of the station is the Design Center, which is undergoing a transformation to become more pedestrian friendly. New tenants includes Superica (Tex-Mex) and Barcelona Wine Bar.
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/8006...ransformation/

Then finally capping out the southern end of Camden will be the massive new Atherton Mill redevelopment. Tenants already include Anthropologie, Free People, and Alton Lane as clothing tenants, O-Ku, Living Kitchen, and Big Ben for restaurants, and a variety of hair salons, nail salons, and art studios. The new portion of the development though will add 115,000 square feet of total retail space and bring the farmer's market back up and in operation (currently moved to a temp site during construction).
Edens, Crescent developing Atherton Mill apartments in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer

All of these construction projects will really transform the area and re-connect everything. It is just going to take some time to finish up. Once complete it will be a .7 mile long corridor of un-interrupted retail book ended by a gathering space at either end. This corridor will by no means be all there is to South End, it will just work as a nucleus around the light rail with gathering places on either end to start walking around. Luckily Camden is low traffic, has wide sidewalks, and is NOT South Blvd, so it will be much safer as a pedestrian strolling area.

If you've had enough time to explore South End, just hop on the light rail train and you can be in Uptown (performing arts, movie theater, bars, clubs, NFL, NBA, Minor League Baseball, etc..), head over to 7th Street Market, head up to Belmont and their breweries and soon new Food Hall (New Food Hall Coming to the ‘Hood | Belmont Community of Charlotte), or head up to Noda all without getting in the car. Eventually Pappas Properties will finish South Village at Scaleybark Station, which will be right on the light rail and near one of Charlotte's main brewery clusters. This will be just south of SouthEnd. http://www.pappasproperties.com/pdf/SouthVillagePkg.pdf
Thank you SOOO much for this. This is great information. You've addressed the significant points I'm interested in. And all these links are very useful. I appreciate the effort!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Raleigh isnt some sleepy little town anymore so some of its neighborhoods and districts have every right to be compared to other cities if there are factors worth comparing. Doesnt matter if the other city is bigger or smaller. Same goes for Charlotte.
That's exactly my point. I'm more interested in what a neighborhood has to offer than the size of the city. There's a city up the coast here in California -- San Luis Obispo -- that I passed through several years ago. The downtown there was very much alive. Even though it's a small city, I thought it would be a fantastic place to retire and live by downtown. And it's so much cheaper than the big CA cities. Same thing with Asheville, NC and Charleston, SC. But the larger cities have the advantage of a big airport with lots of flight destinations. I prefer to be near that. So then it comes to down to a cool neighborhood in a larger city.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It's a known fact that when we humans are called something negative (that we're not) we can often have emotional reactions. You're guilty of this and so am I. With that said, I'd like to extend my sincere apology to you. Just understand that I've been posting here and on other sites for years too. Unfortunately in that time, I've encountered SEVERAL of the chamber of commerce types from Raleigh who like to throw Charlotte under the bus. That history is why I come back at them so hard with videos and stats that defend Charlotte against their immature games. Your thread got caught in that cross fire and we ALL should really knock that mess off. Again, I'm sorry...
Apology accepted.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 PM

I especially love this!

Quote:
Just south of the station is the Design Center, which is undergoing a transformation to become more pedestrian friendly. New tenants includes Superica (Tex-Mex) and Barcelona Wine Bar.
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/8006...ransformation/

Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
?

I have a feeling most of you don't know what you guys are talking about. And sorry, I'm not buying the "I visit Charlotte" often BS whether you're from Moscow or Matthews... Driving past South Blvd. is not visiting SouthEnd FYI.

SouthEnd is very much apart and connected to uptown. It didn't used to be. But now it is. There is no discontinuity anymore. It is very, very walkable. It absolutely has a core (Camden Street). The Rail Trail is super active and has plenty of people enjoying themselves, walking, going places to eat, shop etc.

There's literally more people living in SouthEnd than all of downtown Raleigh (and physically a smaller area than downtown Raleigh) and it's much smaller geographically than downtown Raleigh

SouthEnd had 9,113 in 2016
Downtown Raleigh has 8,2000 2016

SouthEnd (all of it) is very walkable.
Here's an old picture.

Just because something is located in "downtown" or "uptown" in any city doesn't mean its more connected.

My comments have more to do with Plaza & NoDa than Raleigh. SouthEnd grew up, not sure residents of Plaza & NoDa get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte