U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:50 PM
NDL

3,151 posts, read 3,623,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The food scene there is really amazing. And you have the Performing arts and minor league baseball next door to each other downtown. There's also the vibe of Duke and NC Central. And then there's the women Lol. IMO, the type of woman that I like to see attend schools like Central (my wife got her masters from Central by the way). For its size, Durham has a lot going on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check our Durham, especially in light of it's food scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Your thread got caught in that cross fire and we ALL should really knock that mess off. Again, I'm sorry...
You're a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Apology accepted.
As are you

Back on topic: Brichard, I know that having older parents can present new challenges, thus I don't know if being 1.5hrs away is practical. If an 1.5 hour trip to your parents is doable, I would strongly suggest you look at Asheville & Greenville SC.

Greenville is the small City that Gastonia aspires to be. There are a lot of events in the downtown area; a lovely park with a distinct water feature (stream); street level retail and restaurants...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:59 PM

10,638 posts, read 11,243,752 times
Quote:
My parents are now in their 80s. I would like to be back in NC to be closer to them.
BTDT with the parents in their 80s. Live as close to them as you can. Where are they now?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,020 posts, read 947,592 times
Quote:
Thank you for your comments. The reason I started this thread is that I keep reading on the Raleigh forum about the Warehouse District, like is the big happening place in Raleigh. In Charlotte, the closest thing to that seems to be South End and NoDa. As I'm familiar with the two places in Charlotte, but not the one in Raleigh, I'm just curious how they compare. I agree with your points about South End. Your suggestions would probably make it a more inviting place. I've visited there several times when I've been in Charlotte, and it's always the same feeling of "Am I there yet? I passed a sign welcoming me to South End, so this is it? Oh. Well where is everybody?" NoDa seems much more vibrant and interesting than South End, but it's tiny. I've lived away from Charlotte in other cities the last 30 years, and each of these other cities (as well as most cities I've visited) have interesting, eclectic, *large* and vibrant neighborhoods that are major draws. This is what I find is Charlotte's biggest deficiency. And Atlanta's, for that matter. I was wondering if Raleigh, with its Warehouse District and downtown area, is different.

I appreciate the insight. It sounds to me like you're saying Raleigh's Warehouse District, as well as the surrounding areas in downtown, are far superior to Charlotte. Outside of tiny NoDa, there is very little pedestrian activity and buzz. But that's not the case in Raleigh? When I retire, which is not that far away, I'm thinking of coming back to NC. I want to be in a city, but I want to feel like I'm in a city. I'm really only familiar with Charlotte, which is mostly sprawling suburbs. I would die if I had to live in a suburban environment. I'm used to having people around and being able to walk everywhere.
Make your plans on Raleigh. There's a reason that Amazon dropped us off their long list and that Raleigh is ON it, still. I'll be moving down to the Jacksonville, FL area for my retirement. The traffic gridlock here has gotten so far behind, I will be dead before it catches up. I have no desire to be a "line rider" in this life or my next one. Charlotte does look foolish with the South End fiasco. Whoever designed it had no Urban design education. I will think of you all...when I am fishing or walking on the beach in the warm sunshine!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,389,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Make your plans on Raleigh. There's a reason that Amazon dropped us off their long list and that Raleigh is ON it, still.
Yes, and it certainly has nothing to do with what the OP is looking for.

Quote:
I'll be moving down to the Jacksonville, FL area for my retirement.
Congrats. Jacksonville isn't what the OP is looking for either.

Quote:
The traffic gridlock here has gotten so far behind, I will be dead before it catches up.
Obviously you haven't spent much time driving around the Triangle.

Quote:
I have no desire to be a "line rider" in this life or my next one.
The OP does.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Quote:
Apology accepted.
It was REAL and from the heart. Once I figured out that you're real with a genuine inquiry; I felt really bad. 11 years ago, I returned to Charlotte (was living in Kentucky at that time) because my mother was in the final stages of copd. She did in fact pass away 3 months after I returned. My dad was shot and killed in NYC back in the 1980s (which prompted our relocation to the south originally).

Personal baggage aside, the fact that you're returning to spend time with older parents really hit home to me. I CAN relate. Like others have stated, maybe you should consider the parents first, be as close to them as possible, and then worry about where you'd rather live when your parents are no longer a factor. I was established financially and doing well in Kentucky. I don't regret leaving though because people (and our time left with them) are far more precious than places.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 PM

295 posts, read 154,255 times
First, Charlotte’s traffic woes are not that bad compared to other large cities and the people that think it is bad need to get out more to other cities. Second, I often see raleigh trolls on the Charlotte and triad forums bragging about raleigh. There is a definite arrogance among its trollers.I am no expert on raleigh. I have been there a couple of times but don’t know much about it. I will say that Clt has torn down many of its historic buildings but there are still a few left. I can say that uptown and the inner neighborhoods have made a remarkable transformation in recent years. All of the historic neighborhoods surrounding uptown have been gentrified. I live in south end and it is a large area that is very walkable and anyone that disagrees has not been out walking. The number of bikers and walkers on the rail trail is significant. New bars and restaurants pop up every day. There is a sizeable bar and restaurant district in south end. I can and do walk to Publix from the east west blvd station. South end is getting more dense by the day. Someone here is quoting south end’s population at over 9k but I feel sure that was a number from 2014 and the 2016 population has swelled to 15k. Uptown’s Population is now at 17k and of course uptown and south end are connected. Someone from raleigh suggested that brevard court at latte arcade is the only walkable area in uptown. That is the most ludicrous statement on this forum. Obviously this person has spent no Time uptown. Uptown has two bar districts ( Epicenter and fifth st/n Tryon) and you could also add music factory. Uptown has two drug stores and soon to be three grocery stores along with a movie theater and bowling alley. Also throw in over 300 bars and restaurants four universities and BOA stadium and BBT ballpark and spectrum arena. Clt is the number one city for relocation of melinneals in actual numbers. These speaks volumes to the walkable neighborhoods in uptown and south end. Many people like to speak of the wlkability of Asheville but Asheville does not have nearly the walkability of uptown and south end combined. As I said, I am no expert on raleigh but I would be very surprised if raleigh’s Walkability is close to that of uptown and south end and South Park. You can exist in these three areas without an auto.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 PM

295 posts, read 154,255 times
Trent y from raleigh stated that south end was built with a ton of corporate dollars. If he means that South End was built by developers then he would be correct. More apartments were built in south end over the last ten years than any other area in the US. But if he’s is suggesting that corporate dollars or public dollars were spent to lure developers to build in south end then he would absolutely be wrong about that. But it is hard for anyone to go to a city of any size for a few days and understand the city. That is why I withhold my comments about another city. My comments would be only speculation or assumptions. Someone really need to live in a city for a period of time to learn about the city. That is why some of the people from raleigh who have only visited Clt briefly are so far off on their comments on this and other forums.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 AM

929 posts, read 492,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Trent y from raleigh stated that south end was built with a ton of corporate dollars. If he means that South End was built by developers then he would be correct. More apartments were built in south end over the last ten years than any other area in the US. But if hes is suggesting that corporate dollars or public dollars were spent to lure developers to build in south end then he would absolutely be wrong about that. But it is hard for anyone to go to a city of any size for a few days and understand the city. That is why I withhold my comments about another city. My comments would be only speculation or assumptions. Someone really need to live in a city for a period of time to learn about the city. That is why some of the people from raleigh who have only visited Clt briefly are so far off on their comments on this and other forums.
Ironically i didnt say that. It was your fellow Charlottean urbancharlotte. So which is it?

But i agree that i think people on both sides have very little actual knowledge of the other city. You cant understand exactly what something is like or how it compares by reading some statistics , looking at pictures or even spending a day every now in then in that city. It requires much more first hand experience. Both sides are guilty of trolling eachother on that. Some Raleigh members think Charlotte is nothing but glass and suits, and some Charlotte members think Raleigh is a tiny little sleepy town still.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:41 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Ironically i didnt say that. It was your fellow Charlottean urbancharlotte. So which is it?

But i agree that i think people on both sides have very little actual knowledge of the other city. You cant understand exactly what something is like or how it compares by reading some statistics , looking at pictures or even spending a day every now in then in that city. It requires much more first hand experience. Both sides are guilty of trolling eachother on that. Some Raleigh members think Charlotte is nothing but glass and suits, and some Charlotte members think Raleigh is a tiny little sleepy town still.
What if I told you that my job usually takes me into Raleigh several times per year? And what if I told you that I've stayed over night many times in Raleigh? And what if I told you that I've made MANY deliveries at Crabtree Valley? And what if I provided a photo of my trailer under Crabtree's deck by the Belk loading dock as proof?

By the way, from the driver seat of a truck, I see a lot more of Raleigh than what most people can see from a car. If I'm travelling north on I-440 outer (in east Raleigh) I can look left and see a nice view of Raleigh's skyline. Shortly after Raleigh's dt skyline is out of view, North Hills growing skyline emerges right in front of me. All I'm saying is that Raleigh is NOT a mystery to everyone in Charlotte.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:00 PM

29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Greenville is the small City that Gastonia aspires to be. There are a lot of events in the downtown area; a lovely park with a distinct water feature (stream); street level retail and restaurants...
Actually it's a river, albeit a small one. But the defining feature is really the falls, from which the park gets its name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte