U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 02:09 PM

940 posts, read 503,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What if I told you that my job usually takes me into Raleigh several times per year? And what if I told you that I've stayed over night many times in Raleigh? And what if I told you that I've made MANY deliveries at Crabtree Valley? And what if I provided a photo of my trailer under Crabtree's deck by the Belk loading dock as proof?

By the way, from the driver seat of a truck, I see a lot more of Raleigh than what most people can see from a car. If I'm travelling north on I-440 outer (in east Raleigh) I can look left and see a nice view of Raleigh's skyline. Shortly after Raleigh's dt skyline is out of view, North Hills growing skyline emerges right in front of me. All I'm saying is that Raleigh is NOT a mystery to everyone in Charlotte.

And what if, what? I was speaking in general that there are members on both side that have very little actual knowledge of the other city. I wasnt talking about you specifically but since you took it personally, im still not sure im convinced the time you do spend in Raleigh makes your opinions anywhere near as accurate as someone who actually lives here. Especially when talking about the more intimate neighborhoods. And surely you would agree vice versa. Like ive mentioned, ive been through NoDa and South End and in Uptown plenty of times. But im not nearly as familiar so i cant talk so specifically on them compared to the Warehouse District. Thats what QC was saying and i was simply expanding on that in agreement since he was only accusing Raleigh members of doing that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
And what if, what? I was speaking in general that there are members on both side that have very little actual knowledge of the other city. I wasnt talking about you specifically but since you took it personally, im still not sure im convinced the time you do spend in Raleigh makes your opinions anywhere near as accurate as someone who actually lives here. Especially when talking about the more intimate neighborhoods. And surely you would agree vice versa. Like ive mentioned, ive been through NoDa and South End and in Uptown plenty of times. But im not nearly as familiar so i cant talk so specifically on them compared to the Warehouse District. Thats what QC was saying and i was simply expanding on that in agreement since he was only accusing Raleigh members of doing that.
I'm certain that you know Raleigh more than me, but you're talking to a trucker with nearly 17 years of experience behind the wheel of a big rig. I've seen the entire lower 48 states more than a dozen times. I've seen every metro area above 1 million people with my own eyes.

I don't think you truly understand the nature of trucking my friend. I've done everything from food delivery, to fuel delivery, and hauling cargo containers to ports. Truckers go everywhere because US freight goes everywhere. My travel experience is one of the reasons why I volunteer my time on this site. I've probably been to loading docks in parts of Raleigh that you've never seen. Keep that in mind whenever you see my posts from here on out please sir.

There is a noticeable juxtaposition when you're in Raleigh's morning traffic and Charlotte's after noon traffic on the same day. It is what it is...

By the way, have you ever worked a job assignment in the city limits of Charlotte? And was it an outdoor job that required multiple driving trips across the city/metro? Just curious... (Feel free to reply via PM to keep this thread on topic)

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-25-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM

940 posts, read 503,483 times
Quote:
I'm certain that you know Raleigh more than me, but you're talking to a trucker with nearly 17 years of experience behind the wheel of a big rig. I've seen the entire lower 48 states more than a dozen times. I've seen every metro area above 1 million people with my own eyes.

I don't think you truly understand the nature of trucking my friend. I've done everything from food delivery, to fuel delivery, and hauling cargo containers to ports. Truckers go everywhere because US freight goes everywhere. My travel experience is one of the reasons why I volunteer my time on this site. I've probably been to loading docks in parts of Raleigh that you've never seen. Keep that in mind whenever you see my posts from here on out please sir.

There is a noticeable juxtaposition when you're in Raleigh's morning traffic and Charlotte's after noon traffic on the same day. It is what it is...

By the way, have you ever worked a job assignment in the city limits of Charlotte? And was it an outdoor job that required multiple driving trips across the city/metro? Just curious... (Feel free to reply via PM to keep this thread on topic)
Sigh....again you are taking what Iím saying too personally my man. Iím not discrediting your job and the experiences it allows you. You probably know more about Raleigh while not living here then I do about Charlotte while not living there. The only thing I was speaking specifically about you on was in reference to what QC said about South End not being built on corporate dollars when a few pages back you said it was. And how he misunderstood me for you in that opinion. And that how that was ironically contradicting ideas from two Charlotteans. Thatís it.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,374,209 times
Quote:

If this was a post about road travel and traffic patterns you would have a point.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:23 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If this was a post about road travel and traffic patterns you would have a point.
I do hang out in the towns that I visit. And I often use their local mass transit or a Rideshare to get around during those long breaks. Not every trucker is a steering wheel jockey who is overweight and never gets out of the truck not me man!!!

Some of the best games of pickup basketball I've ever played were in places like Wilkesboro YMCA believe it or not. Trucking is very misunderstood and loaded with too many dated stereotypes

Old 02-02-2018, 03:16 AM

343 posts, read 575,597 times
Default Good way to explain Charlotte's Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I agree with your assessment of South End. One problem I find with Charlotte is that marketeers are a little too over the top, to the extent that their boasts are sometimes ridiculous. So instead of elevating a neighborhood and it's status, they make the neighborhood look silly, as it doesn't match the marketeers hype. In South End's case, the latest and greatest moniker is LoSo (Lower South End). Again...very silly.

Another problem with South End, and Charlotte in general, are ridiculously narrow sidewalks, which are of little use. In South End's case, there's a lack of continuity between spaces; a sidewalk in one area, and the lack of a sidewalk in another. A bar in one space, and a commercial building right next door to it. The lack of congruity between spaces and blocks have a dividing effect. In other words, there's no flow; I have a hard time picturing patrons bar hopping, without sidewalks, while traversing dark, empty, commercial spaces (at night). What might be helpful is the elimination of telephone poles, distinct pedestrian lighting; distinct signage, and consistent sidewalks from block to block. Some of the multi colored apartments are hideous as well.

On the plus side, the below development is exciting, and holds a lot of promise:

Railyard Southend | Urban Mixed-Use Development - Charlotte, NC
I think you explained Charlotte, as a whole, the problem very well. There is no focal on the type of area. It seems so spread out and, like you said, a good restaurant, but then a closed commercial building next door because it's a business that closes at 5. Everything is drive and park. Even our logo, "Charlotte's Got a Lot" has no focal point.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:42 AM

343 posts, read 575,597 times
Default Charlotte is a Suburban City

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I agree with your points about South End. Your suggestions would probably make it a more inviting place. I've visited there several times when I've been in Charlotte, and it's always the same feeling of "Am I there yet? I passed a sign welcoming me to South End, so this is it? Oh. Well where is everybody?" NoDa seems much more vibrant and interesting than South End, but it's tiny. I've lived away from Charlotte in other cities the last 30 years, and each of these other cities (as well as most cities I've visited) have interesting, eclectic, *large* and vibrant neighborhoods that are major draws. This is what I find is Charlotte's biggest deficiency. And Atlanta's, for that matter. I was wondering if Raleigh, with its Warehouse District and downtown area, is different.
I have been saying it for years about Charlotte. Charlotte is a suburban city, very spread out. They have tried to get a city niche with uptown, but it doesn't catch on. 90% of Charlotte is suburbs. The biggest issue is they let developers build housing developments instead of it building organically into a niche. Count how many cookie cutter developments you pass driving around. I hate them.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 AM

3,793 posts, read 3,299,795 times
SouthEnd has many more people than the cute little tourist mountain town. Places to eat, real shopping beyond some colored rocks/gems,
Real grocery stores, places people actually work and make money beyond being a waitress at “Not your mommas Pancakes,” etc.

If I ever want to grab coffee, buy a wood carving of Smokey the bear or visit a little toy
shop to buy things one would
Find in Cracker Barrel, I’ll be sure to drop by AVL

SouthEnd has more people than all of downtown Raleigh, even. So I’m not sure why some
Of you think it’s like. A block and that’s it.

If Charlotte isn’t your thing, by all means. Revel in your gift shops that sells tie dye shirts that says “I <3 AVL” and cheap toy oriental fans... Lots of people do like SouthEnd hence it’s growing.

Whenever Asheville moves beyond being a place where you can get a stained glass painting of Smokey the bear, maybe I’ll decide to move there and become a waiter of neat
Little coffee shop.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-02-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,309,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
SouthEnd has many more people than the cute little tourist mountain town. Places to eat, real shopping beyond some colored rocks/gems,
Real grocery stores, places people actually work and make money beyond being a waitress at ďNot your mommas Pancakes,Ē etc.

If I ever want to grab coffee, buy a wood carving of Smokey the bear or visit a little toy
shop to buy things one would
Find in Cracker Barrel, Iíll be sure to drop by AVL

SouthEnd has more people than all of downtown Raleigh, even. So Iím not sure why some
Of you think itís like. A block and thatís it.

If Charlotte isnít your thing, by all means. Revel in your gift shops that sells tie dye shirts that says ďI <3 AVLĒ and cheap toy oriental fans... Lots of people do like SouthEnd hence itís growing.

Whenever Asheville moves beyond being a place where you can get a stained glass painting of Smokey the bear, maybe Iíll decide to move there and become a waiter of neat
Little coffee shop.
Your post is a perfect example of why Charlotte will never have any character in the central part of the city. Wow. Many Charlotte posters on this board just don't get it... Wow.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I have been saying it for years about Charlotte. Charlotte is a suburban city, very spread out. They have tried to get a city niche with uptown, but it doesn't catch on. 90% of Charlotte is suburbs. The biggest issue is they let developers build housing developments instead of it building organically into a niche. Count how many cookie cutter developments you pass driving around. I hate them.
This comment could be applied just as well to Raleigh, or almost every other sunbelt city that grew dramatically in the post WWII era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte