U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Your post is a perfect example of why Charlotte will never have any character in the central part of the city. Wow. Many Charlotte posters on this board just don't get it... Wow.

Same for Raleigh, Greensboro, Cary, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. You want to speak of cookie cutter? Raleigh-Cary. That’s not a bad thing - It’s why the area is thriving with great schools, etc. it’s why it’s ranked as one of the best places to live. Not character. Hence Durham comes out lower on the list

Raleigh-Cary has as much character as Charlotte overall. You would be laughed at for telling people from outside triangle bubble that Raleigh is full of “character.” I’m sure people from the northeast buy that horse crap. They love the south for its cookie cutter. After all. What exactly is Cary? North Hills? Downtown Raleigh is bursting with historical quirk? Please. You act like it’s Louisville, Memphis, Richmond, NoLa, etc all of which I much prefer Raleigh anyway

Once Asheville moves beyond being a Branson Missouri or Pigeon Forge attraction place and becomes like Charleston and develops industries and something beyond selling sea shells by the sea shore. Then come get me.

As I said before. SouthEnd alone is more populated and adding more people than Raleigh. So obviously it’s pretty desirable for an urban area in N.C. for transplants that come all over NC & update NY who choose to relocate here.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-02-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,446,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I have been saying it for years about Charlotte. Charlotte is a suburban city, very spread out. They have tried to get a city niche with uptown, but it doesn't catch on. 90% of Charlotte is suburbs. The biggest issue is they let developers build housing developments instead of it building organically into a niche. Count how many cookie cutter developments you pass driving around. I hate them.
This is literally every city in the country except for 4-5 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte
I don't think you truly understand the nature of trucking my friend. I've done everything from food delivery, to fuel delivery, and hauling cargo containers to ports. Truckers go everywhere because US freight goes everywhere. My travel experience is one of the reasons why I volunteer my time on this site. I've probably been to loading docks in parts of Raleigh that you've never seen. Keep that in mind whenever you see my posts from here on out please sir.
"I drove through Raleigh, so I can tell you it's a dump" is apparently the new "I drove through NC on I-95, so I can tell you it's a dump".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485
Once Asheville moves beyond being a Branson Missouri or Pigeon Forge attraction place and becomes like Charleston and develops industries and something beyond selling sea shells by the sea shore. Then come get me.
I don't think Asheville is ever going to be anything remotely like Charleston. That would require making their beer a whole lot worse.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
This is literally every city in the country except for 4-5 of them. p

IMO, the OP shouldíve just asked about SouthEnd in the CLT section and warehouse in RDU section.

It just invites people from Branson Missouri to post on here that 8 years ago they drove on South Blvd. and was wondering to themselves if they even went through SouthEnd at all. If you canít remember even driving through SouthEnd.... you have no business forming an opinion of it, really. Especially if itís dated...

Really. How hard is it to just visit N.C.? Just go to Raleigh for a few hours, drive a few hours to CLT... and you literally can form your own opinion...

Old 02-03-2018, 08:08 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,309,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
IMO, the OP shouldíve just asked about SouthEnd in the CLT section and warehouse in RDU section.

It just invites people from Branson Missouri to post on here that 8 years ago they drove on South Blvd. and was wondering to themselves if they even went through SouthEnd at all. If you canít remember even driving through SouthEnd.... you have no business forming an opinion of it, really. Especially if itís dated...

Really. How hard is it to just visit N.C.? Just go to Raleigh for a few hours, drive a few hours to CLT... and you literally can form your own opinion...
Ironically you mention "driving" quite often. If you hate Raleigh so much, stop visiting. It's very simple actually. Raleigh is a very nice city to walk around. There is a nice balance of old and new.

Charlotte however has it's own vibe. I like Charlotte alot, but it seems that the Charlotte posters on this board don't hold so much confidence in the Queen City. Its very clear by the negative remarks made about another city that's slightly smaller 3 hours away to the east. I love having the variety of both. Just like I love having the variety of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Ironically you mention "driving" quite often. If you hate Raleigh so much, stop visiting. It's very simple actually. Raleigh is a very nice city to walk around. There is a nice balance of old and new.

Charlotte however has it's own vibe. I like Charlotte alot, but it seems that the Charlotte posters on this board don't hold so much confidence in the Queen City. Its very clear by the negative remarks made about another city that's slightly smaller 3 hours away to the east. I love having the variety of both. Just like I love having the variety of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

I mean. Whether he wants to drive, take AmTrak, fly or bike from Raleigh to Charlotte... he should probably do so to form an opinion particularly if he plans on moving here.

He will get the best opinions of SouthEnd & Warehouse respectively if he just ask about SouthEnd in the CLT section and warehouse in RDU section. Thatís why I havenít posted in the Raleigh section on this topic. Because my opinion will not be informed enough.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:20 PM

570 posts, read 544,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It was REAL and from the heart. Once I figured out that you're real with a genuine inquiry; I felt really bad. 11 years ago, I returned to Charlotte (was living in Kentucky at that time) because my mother was in the final stages of copd. She did in fact pass away 3 months after I returned. My dad was shot and killed in NYC back in the 1980s (which prompted our relocation to the south originally).

Personal baggage aside, the fact that you're returning to spend time with older parents really hit home to me. I CAN relate. Like others have stated, maybe you should consider the parents first, be as close to them as possible, and then worry about where you'd rather live when your parents are no longer a factor. I was established financially and doing well in Kentucky. I don't regret leaving though because people (and our time left with them) are far more precious than places.

I don't doubt your sincerity at all. Thank you for explaining. And I'm so sorry to hear about both of your parents. It sounds like they were both gone too way too soon. I can't imagine the pain of that. That's really horrible what happened to your father. NYC back in the '80s was not a safe place. If you were a child then, the impact of that must have been unbearable. Again, I'm really sorry to hear that.

But coming from NYC (depending, of course, on how old you were when you left) you can surely recognize the elements of a vibrant urban neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Go back and look at my original post. I asked for opinions from "anyone who knows these districts in both cities." The key words are KNOW and BOTH. I wasn't asking for opinions from people in Raleigh who have passed by Charlotte's SouthEnd or NoDa but don't actually *know* those places. And I wasn't asking for opinions from people in Charlotte who have passed by Raleigh's warehouse district but don't actually *know* it. To know a place, you need to spend time hanging out, walking around. If you haven't done that (and I'm directing this comment to all posters here), then your opinion is not going to be helpful, especially if clouded by civic pride and bias. If you are from Raleigh and you haven't walked the streets of NoDa and South End and hung out in those places, your comments are not going to be useful here. Likewise on the corresponding thread in the Raleigh forum, comments from Charlotte folks who have not walked the streets of the Raleigh warehouse district and hung out there are not going to be very informative. As an outsider, which I am now as I've been living outside of NC for nearly three decades, this fighting back and forth looks pretty ridiculous. It reminds me of how I used to always pull against UNC Chapel Hill, no matter who they played, until I left the state and realized I should be proud of the success of any home state team.

In the 30 years since I left NC, I have lived in places with large, vibrant urban neighborhoods. Unlike the port cities of Norfolk, Richmond, Charleston, and cities in the NE, and then Atlanta in the 1800s because of the railroad, NC cities (other than maybe Wilmington) did not start growing until the age of the automobile and, consequently, suburbanization. So they missed out on building up an urban infrastructure and, thus, those sorts of neighborhoods. Now they seem to be trying to play catch-up, which is great but it's still catch-up. I'm only trying to assess which city is further along in that regard. I can't answer that myself because I've only been in South End and NoDa during occasional trips to Charlotte, and I basically haven't seen Raleigh at all. When I lived in Charlotte, which was very long ago, it was incredibly car dependent and there was no South End or NoDa. During my very limited visits to Raleigh, also very long ago, it seemed just as car dependent if not more so. Now if you are someone who has spent a lot of time in the last couple of years in these neighborhoods in both cities, and you can withhold personal bias, your opinion is useful.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:41 PM

666 posts, read 579,204 times
To the OP, you aren't going to find the type of urban neighborhoods you want in the southeast period except for small areas like SouthEnd,NoDa etc. Miami is probably the closeest but you still need a car to live there

Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
To the OP, you aren't going to find the type of urban neighborhoods you want in the southeast period except for small areas like SouthEnd,NoDa etc. Miami is probably the closeest but you still need a car to live there
Miami for sure. I've been there. Great vibe, especially Miami Beach area. But what about Shockoe Slip or Shockoe Bottom in Richmond? And I assume some neighborhoods in Norfolk as well.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:09 PM

666 posts, read 579,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Miami for sure. I've been there. Great vibe, especially Miami Beach area. But what about Shockoe Slip or Shockoe Bottom in Richmond? And I assume some neighborhoods in Norfolk as well.
That's what I mean, you find so areas in every city in the southeast that has areas like that but you still need a car to get around Richmond or Norfolk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte